1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club part 23

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Sub'd (always wanted to do that :).

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Today was interesting as I got to sit back and listen to another bass player. Typically his sound is brash and brittle. Today he sounded great. Turns out one of the techs snuck in early and changed the settings on the sansamp so that they were less extreme. A good lesson in understanding your tools. I use one for all my other stuff outside of church but it is a good reminder nonetheless. The young bass player sounded so much better and you could hear all the great stuff he was doing in the songs. First time I heard compliments about his playing from non-musicians.

4. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Sounds like it's been a good day for a few of us. :D

It was my first time serving as the WL for the Sunday service. Went great for the first two songs, not so much for the second pair due to the drummers in ears falling out and him not being able to hear what was going on (he's in an isolation booth)... but still not a complete train wreck. :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. throughthefire

throughthefire

Was a little late to practice this morning; had a phone call as I was leaving from the BL asking if my wife would like to sing harmony - one of the regular singers had dropped out.

Got there 10 minutes late, and found that the old Fender Bassman 100 I normally use had been rolled away and replaced with an Aguilar DB750 and 2x12 cab.

It was very, very, nice. And it's there semi-permanently, unless its pro owner needs it to take on tour. :hyper::bassist:

On a downer... son was leading P&W at another church today, and his soprano bass (an Ibanez lawsuit) fell off its stand. Apparently the neck is broken in two, but I haven't seen it yet in order to decide if it's repairable... :meh:

7. rotis

rotis There is more

Posting to sub. Went to GC today and completely feel in lust with a Fender American standard p-bass 5 string. So glad it was not cola candy or I would be hiding it from the wife.

On another note they had a MIM that was so bowed the action was at least an inch.
    The hunt continues for the new bass.

8. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

And... we're back..

9. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

A question is begged. If your sig indicates you have an Ibanez, a Warwick, and Jackson, why are you looking for a new bass?

10. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

I'm not sure whether what my church does is typical in any way. We possibly all have different service structures (or lack of!). Before I started reading these threads I'd never heard of the word 'offertory' and didn't know the meaning of prelude, processional, sequence hymn and recessional, so I'm grateful for the explanations!

A lot comes down to the length of service. Our services are 1:15, allowing 45 minutes between services for the auditorium to empty then fill up again. We also have parking 5 minutes' walk from the church with shuttle buses so we need to allow time to get people in!

Our typical set goes like this:

Countdown video with music - as it fades we'll start the intro to the first song and the WL will welcome everyone
    3-4 songs. Generally an upbeat, faster song to start and finishing with one that allows some space for free worship while we continue instrumentally.

Next we may have communion (once a month in the main service) or baptisms (typically every 6-8 weeks) which will call for another song.

After the announcements we'll then do a song for the offering, generally upbeat, before the preacher comes up. On rare occasions we may do an extra song at the end or a special piece as part of the message.

So that's what we do! Nothing special about it, and certainly not holding it forward as an ideal, just what works for us at this point in time. Change always expected!

11. SoVeryTired

If I had an Ibanez, a Warwick and a Jackson I'd be looking for a new bass too. :bag::D

I kid, I kid. There's always a reason for a new bass. It may not be a good reason, but there's always a reason.

12. MissingHighs

MissingHighs

@TheLimeyBrit,

Your question got lost on the previous thread.... We have 6 songs usually, spread throughout the service from opening through to closing (e.g. between Bible reading and talk). Even if there is communion things get moved around so the 'set' stays at 6.

My only 'complaint' is we can sometimes be 'running through' (sorry, but this is just so *not* 'practising') a pretty up-tempo song just before the service starts and it has been said this destroys the 'bringing people to a state if worship'.

The exception to the rule (in both above cases) is baptism services, which would occur in the afternoon. Then, the evening set can hit 12 without thinking ('and that's not counting the songs they've already been singing next to the pool!).

13. MissingHighs

MissingHighs

I've just searched and find nothing stating "Thou shalt not covet what is on offer in a bass shop" ;).... phew!

14. SoVeryTired

I'm sure we're not meant to covet our neighbour's (b)ass though.

15. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

This is why i always play my friends basses, gives me a bit of a change and gets rid of my GAS lol

16. rotis

rotis There is more

My Ibanez is decent. The Jackson is craptastic and the Warwick is entry level. The sig makes me feel good but it is no collection. Looking to get a decent 5 string or good P.

17. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Crafter of XBass cables
    I had fun taking my new MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe (M83) for a ride yesterday. I think it will be a usable effect.

18. SoVeryTired

I use a little chorus now and again (Boss CE5, originally bought for guitar). It's not a sound I like to hear all the way through a song but I use it for emphasising certain parts, e.g. the end of the chorus in 'Our God Is Love'.

19. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Crafter of XBass cables
    Yeah, I used it in the early parts of Here For You and dropped it out during the build on the 2nd Chorus. Also on How Great Thou Art for double stops. It's a nice tasty variation, but I'll never wear it out.

20. jmclearnon

jmclearnon

I use a wee bit of cheeky chorus and reverb...

Had an interesting experience over Christmas. Was asked to play a solo at the start of a funk version of 'Joy To The World'. Then was asked to play a slap bass chorus (not the norm).

I was bricking myself because i was playing my friends Steinberger 5er as my bass was in England. Lets just say the lack of body made it very hard for me to play it lol.

21. SoVeryTired

That must have been interesting! I'm sure it's straightforward if you play a Steinberger all the time but they are a little... well... different.

Christmas was the first ever time playing slap for me - but on a more conventionally-shaped bass. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.