1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club part 27

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Jul 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Continuation of this page.
  2. theLimeyBrit

theLimeyBrit Used Register Supporting Member

3. mkandolf

mkandolf

Seconded!
  4. mkandolf

mkandolf

Now let's see how long it takes the rest of 'em to find us! Some it will take until page 26!
  5. Mktrat

Mktrat Huh? Supporting Member

6. 5StringFool

5StringFool Supporting Member

Thanks to a busy schedule that was me last time....lol. Things have settled down a bit now though. :D

Sub'd
  7. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

8. Michael Henson

Michael Henson

Ahem....

...in...
  9. LSquared

LSquared

I'm here! Still (mostly) lurking... but here.
  10. Paladin54

Paladin54 Providing the low end for the High One! Supporting Member

I'm in.

And I'd still like to see praisebass's Furies.
  11. Bookie

Bookie

I'll get some conversation going to start off the thread.

I'm playing electric guitar this week while the worship pastor (and only electric player) is preaching. I just bought some bass gear a couple months back including a nice amp when the worship pastor started putting me on the schedule to play electric. We've had a couple guys play electric but they are unavailable now for various reasons.

I played electric at this church once before and I borrowed the worship pastor's gear. I decided it was time to buy my own gear so I spent about $1200 on a guitar, case, small amp, amp stand, some effects, and a pedal board after just spending a bunch of money on bass gear. My closet is full now!

I mostly play rhythm when I'm on electric. It's a nice change but it takes me away from practicing the bass which is what I really want to focus on.

In any case, I'm serving God and am glad to do so regardless of what instrument I'm playing. More than a testimony than a conversation starter, I guess.
  12. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

In our case I would be switched to guitar only if there were no other keyboard or guitar playing. Although before I joined the team went with two keyboards, guitarist and drums most weeks.
  13. LSquared

LSquared

We’re practicing tonight, a day early because of the Holiday tomorrow (Independence day in USA). I always enjoy practicing / fellowship with the team.

There was discussion last thread about secular songs in the Worship setting. This week we’ll be playing Orleans’ “Still The One” to close out a sermon series on relationships… From way back in 1976, when I was 16! It should be interesting to see how it goes over, seems mostly benign lyrically.

We’ll be opening with more "typical" fare: Blessed By Your Name, Friend Of God, Your Love Never Fails. And as prayer song: Breathe.
  14. scottz0369

scottz0369

I have mixed feelings about playing secular music in a worship setting. On one hand, there's many secular songs that could "fit" with a message, but on the other, it seems like pounding a square peg in a round hole. One church I went to had a sermon on forgiveness, and the team played Don Henley's "Forgiveness" as the closing song. Its a nice song, and it does feature "forgiveness" in the chorus, but its not by any means a song that gives glory to God, in my understanding of it.
    I guess I'm wondering where to draw the line. Any thoughts?
  15. Yawsbass

Yawsbass

I wish I was good enough at something other than bass to be able to play live, but I'm okay with being the bassist. I've found that learning guitar improved my bass playing and knowledge of theory, so it isn't totally pointless.
  16. scottz0369

scottz0369

Oops, I also saw that there was a discussion of secular songs in part 26. I missed it. Ill go back and reread the thread!
  17. praisebass

praisebass

http://s1034.photobucket.com/albums...w&current=IMG_20130701_122644_zps9a998eed.jpg

Lets see if this works. Trying to figure best way to share using the tb android app. The pic not uploading for some reason.

Nothing special about the new one other than its in immaculate shape as well as the ohsc.

Happily, I no longer have two as my buddy Curt took the other and was really excited to get it. I let him have it for the $120 I had in it and the gig bag.
  18. praisebass

praisebass

Apparently, I am completely inept at posting pics:

[​IMG]

BTW, if anyone has a deal on a red one, let me know - I really dig my Peavey Predator and Reactor and they are both red. They are now my only two electric guitars. I liked them so well, even though they were only about $125 a piece, that I got rid of all my other electric guitars. (I'm really not much of an electric guitar player though)

I'll post video this weekend if possible of my buddy playing the Fury that I laid on him.
  19. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Bookie - I play electric guitar probably once a month or so, and play a fair bit of acoustic in settings outside the standard Sunday morning, plus occasionally pads (within the same service as either bass or electric) if we don't have a 'real' keys player available :)

I enjoy the variety, as well as the fact I play bass the most. It does make things more expensive and I've got a lot of money sunk into my guitars, amp and pedalboard that could have gone on another nice bass or three!
  20. praisebass

praisebass

So, my wife and I have three kids 7, 9 and 11 years.

We also serve on the Praise Team - we try to alternate weeks so one can look after the kids while the other serves. We end up playing at the same time quite a bit though.

Who else serves on the same praise team with their spouse and how do you work that out?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.