1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club part 30

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Media:
    Continuation of this thread.

2. 5StringFool

5StringFool

3. Yawsbass

Yawsbass

I have a board with a few effects on it. I leave my compressor on all the time, run my tuner bypassed in the chain and keep it on (I don't have a tuner out on my volume pedal), and that's really it. I have a fuzz I've used quite a few times, a flanger and delay I mess around with on occasion, and a buddy let me borrow a Walrus Audio Voyager and a Barber Dirty Bomb to test out, but I don't use effects all that much.

I'd say get a good compressor, a tuner, a volume pedal, and maybe a good DI (an Eden or an Aguilar Tonehammer would be excellent choices that wouldn't break the bank) and that should suffice in most situations and help shape and tighten your tone. Maybe have a fuzz and a few modulating effects on hand for the odd song that would make good use of them, but in most church environments running pretty clean will more than work.

4. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Thanks j-raj, and happy 40th!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SteveC

SteveC

I'd like to try some effects - change things up a bit after 10 years of playing - but I never seem to have as much success out in the real world as I do at home. I could see some compression, chorus, maybe some kind of "umph" for the more rocking tunes, but not sure what else or how much or when. We don't get a lot of time to rehearse. Just 30-40 minutes before the first service.

7. SoVeryTired

The second of five weeks in a row on bass coming up on Sunday. It's the special Christmas production (3 services) the week after, then a regular 2-service morning on the 22nd, and then Christmas morning.

This week's setlist:
    Guardian
    Our God
    Wide As The Sky
    The Same Power

8. 5StringFool

5StringFool

I'm bassin' it tomorrow and Sunday as well. Looking forward to using my B3 in a band setting.

9. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Happy B-day j-raj!

10. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Just a BassGuy! Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Crafter of XBass cables
    I'm on team for the next 2 weeks.

This week:
    O Holy Night
    All Creation Sing (Joy To The World)
    Our God (O Come All Ye Faithful)
    Born Is The King (It's Christmas)

BTW, I had minor surgery yesterday – angiogram and stent - all went well, and I went home last night! (Almost unheard of same-day, super rare on an afternoon procedure – the cardio nurse was floored) – God was absolutely in control of this whole process, many examples – I am truly humbled and grateful.

11. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

I can't seem to find a current iteration of my board.

I run several effects, and use most of them in worship.

Custom AB Pedal -> EHX Bass Microsynth -> DOD 250 Overdrive -> HBE Hematoma -> EHX Qtron -> Akai Flanger -> MXR Phase 90 -> Bass CEB-3 Chorus -> Amp

12. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

13. dieselbass

dieselbass

Ditto on birthday wishes J-Raj!

14. dhogan1235

dhogan1235

15. Rumblesmith

Rumblesmith

Glad to hear the surgery went well! God definitely is in control, it's good to be reminded of this sometimes.

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

"Which flavor of gospel are we talking about?"

Both kinds. Country and western. :)

17. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

+1! Happy Birthday. All of God's blessings to you!

18. mtb777

Speedy recovery Bro. God has His hand on you. Make sure you give Him the glory, especially to those who don't know Him.

19. mtb777

Rehearsal was rough tonight. Keyboards did not show up. Check. Singer. #2 did not show up. Check. New monitor system did not show up...in a way. WL not too happy. Check. Opens lid on his new isolation box and cranks amp and leaves lid open. Check. Goes through one song. Check. Walks over to me and my bass, fiddle with knobs and goes full miss on everything check. You need to work on your tone. Check. Shows me all the knobs on the Eden rig I really don't like. Check. Walks off to go somewhere. Check. Work on my tone and fiddle with amp for a few minutes. Check. He walks back up while I'm resetting everything and yells through his mic...STOP NOODLING. CHECK. Start next song. Check. Sounds like a tornado on stage. Check. Step on TURBO BOOST button on Eden Footswitch. Tone. Check. WL smiles. Check. Owner of Eden rig shows up at end and straightens out all the new monitor system after last song. Check. Everybody happy except wife of Eden Rig owner because she got rushed out of dinner on date night with hubby and now she is the Keyboardist and missing singer for this Sundays service. Check. Verbal memo to show up 1 hour early for Worship service. Check. That's a wrap folks!

20. SoVeryTired

^ You showed a lot of grace to last through to the end of the rehearsal without walking out!

It's another 8am start on Sunday as the Christmas production has taken over the usual rehearsal time. The good thing about our short list of songs is that everyone knows the material so, whilst it's not ideal to lose a rehearsal, it doesn't show through too much in our playing.

21. dhogan1235

dhogan1235

"rough" might be an understatement. Most of our rough one usually have to do with someone showing up without even have looked at the music. Which turns the whole thing into a grind but nothing like what you described. I hope sunday morning gets better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.