The Praise and Worship Band Bassists Club part 33

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 5, 2014.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
  2. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Might as well kick it off with the setlist and a brief bio

Friend of God
    In the Secret
    Open the Eyes of My Heart
    Your Love Oh Lord
    No One Else (original)

I have been the bassist at the Arcadia Foursquare, Victory Chapel for the past four years and am about to celebrate my tenth as a member of that body of God

3. DavidWann

DavidWann

This Sunday's song list:
    Happy Day
    Alive In Us
    How Great Is Our God
    Where The Love Lasts Forever

It appears that "Happy Day" is a favorite. ;)

4. R&B

R&B Don't want no treble. Supporting Member

A rare Sunday off for yours truly. The keys player will be permitted to enter The Forbidden Zone with his left hand. : p

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NLBassist

NLBassist

Our keys player is very heavy on the left hand, but lately she's been pulling back and leaving me some space.

7. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Perhaps she is on a keyboards site and learning just as we are

8. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Most of the time our keys are "manned" by two ladies that play what is written. I don't try to tell them what to do. When the keys are playing a cello sound the low end can be particularly confounding.

A benefit of being one of the more technologically inclined members of the group is making adjustments with the ipad on the presonus mixer. HPF up to 180 or so on the keys channel--problem solved.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in the church that knows what HPF is so no one else adjusts them or even knows they've been adjusted. It's also helpful slotting acoustics that grind on open chords, EG's pounding power chords and clearing up the BG mud in a lively room.

9. Yawsbass

Yawsbass

That brings up an interesting question: how long has everyone been playing in a live setting? I doubt any of us would call ourselves virtuosos or masters or anything, but we're all of various skill levels united in one cause.

Personally, I've been playing for twelve and a half years total, pretty much all of it in a live band setting. I wouldn't call myself a beginner, but I'm always learning new things about technique, styles, or from other musicians. How about everyone else?

I tried to not make that sound arrogant, condescending, or snotty, as it wasn't my intent. Hope it worked.

10. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Ha! :D

11. Locky66

Locky66

I have been playing bass for 20+ years and part of the worship team for the past 7 years. I still consider myself just an advanced beginner. I feel like I could figure out the reasoning behind womens mood swings easier than theory and we all know how hard that would be :)

bassinflorida and milDoo like this.
  12. Paladin54

Paladin54 Providing the low end for the High One Supporting Member

I have been playing for just over 2 years. Bass playing is mainly a hobby for me. I practice maybe a couple hours per week. Usually more when I know I will be playing on an upcoming Sunday and have specific music to practice.

I am getting better but I am still a beginner.

I have only played live a handful of times. Our group only plays once per month. With my work schedule I work every other weekend so I miss many of the Sundays we do play.

13. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Played very sporadically over the years (started out on piano, then violin, string bass, electric bass). This last year has yielded real positive results in terms of musical commitment to the bass guitar: gigging every Sunday morning, practicing nearly every evening, transitioning from 4-string to 5-string. I'm playing better than I ever have. Yup, I'm now officially in the advanced beginner category! :D

14. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

In school I played from sheet music or set horn lines when covering bands like EW&F. Making my own arrangements on the fly from lead sheets or chords/lyrics then it's only been the 4 years on the team

15. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

In!!!

I've been playing off and on since high school (I'm 57) but rarely played out for most of that, and played a home fellowship for about 4 years with 6 different WL's and that developed into a band that did fundraisers for missionaries mostly for the last 2 years of that. That led to playing at a couple of other small churches which has led to playing at LightHouse and now Calvary Chapel over the last year! This month so far, I'm playing 4 Wednesday services, Good Friday Service, and 2 double Sunday Services at Calvary and 2 Sunday Services at Lighthouse. Also doing a fundraiser for for Children's Arthritis on the 3rd of next month!

Set list for tomorrow is:
    Not To Us (B)
    Majestic (D)
    Your Name (B)
    Dwelling Places (F)

16. MTFD24

MTFD24 Supporting Member

I played guitar from '72 until '78, then picked up bass this past June as our bass player moved away. Mid July I was picking out root notes to help the team. Our Pastor jumped in on keys as the keyboard player was the wife of the bass player and moved too. I am a very NEW old dawg, but working very hard to fill in thhe low end.

17. ChatDaddy

ChatDaddy

I've been playing off and on for 30 yrs. Did some gigging early on, but life and career took and still take priority. Playing in worship settings off and on for the last 20 years as well. I don't know what category I would consider myself. Played mostly by ear all of my life but the last few years I've worked on my reading and learning theory.

Interestingly, the guitarist and the drummer (my son) from our worship band and I are putting together a project and are seriously considering doing some local gigs.

Set list for tomorrow:

Home in Heaven
    Montana (by Salvador) - very cool!
    Power
    Be With Me Lord
    I Need Your Love

18. Bmosh

Bmosh

I'd like to start by requesting a membership number. I've been a worship team member for the past 14 years, first on guitar and then on bass ( last 9 years ) . I'm blessed to play every Sunday, 3, sometimes 4 services , traditional, contemporary and modern .
    I'm 61 and have been playing since I was 12. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it.

This Sunday, contemporary services:

You are good
    Desert Song
    Close
    In Christ Alone
    Christ is enough

MTFD24 likes this.
  19. fetch

fetch

I've played exactly two live settings...both in the past month at church. I guess I'm about as beginner as could be! I played guitar in high school but put it away when I joined the Marine Corps. Tried a couple times to pick it back up but never stuck.

I play on Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday...CAN'T WAIT!!!

Can I have a member number please?

20. mrharrell

mrharrell Supporting Member

20+ for me. I have taken more than one hiatus over the years though. Most of my playing has been P&W. I tried the secular things for a few years early on and just got tired of the drama. I've also never had the desire to tour, so P&W at a church fits me perfectly.

21. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses

I picked up the bass to help out some friends of mine who were in a hardcore/thrash crossover band called Empty Tomb back in the early 90's. From there I was in a band that played fairly regularly locally doing all originals. We described ourselves as "Adult Alternative" because we were too adult for the alternative crowd and too alternative for the adult crowd. Everyone hated us. After that project died I tried to put a few different things together but they never went anywhere. I suppose in all I played fairly consistently about five years or so, ending about 95 or 6. I picked bass up again about a year ago getting (Slowly) more serious about it. I am definitely a beginner, but I'm having fun.

This week's list:

Lay Me Down
    Open Up The Heavens
    Love Divine (Purify)
    This Is Our God
    The Stand

Got some pretty gnarly hiss and 60 cycle hum issues sorted out in the rig this week so I'll be playing this tomorrow.
    [​IMG]