The Preacher copy, short scale necktrough.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by aronnes71, Jan 6, 2012.

1. aronnes71

aronnes71

Herbie Chesnutt did build the Preacher for the TB bass build competition , and I fell in love with the design. I just had to build one. Herbie has OKed it.

Or that is a lie, I had to build 3.... a mandolin, a guitar and a shortscale bass.

I have already started on the mandolin and the guitar...
    Pictures of the builds
    Guitar: link to album
    Mandolin: link to build.

I have just started on the bass build, this will be my first 4 string build, the bass will be a 31 inch scale, the neck are wenge/maple. I was originally planning on have a prefabricated neck, but the shiping cost from the US was a bit on the expensive side and I had some wood laying around meant for another build that did not happend, so I will build it myselfe. The neck will be 11 laminates (don't ask), do you think this will be a problem?

The body will be Norwegian Birch.

[​IMG] Sorry for the crappy pictures.

I have some problems finding how long the trussrod have to be for a 31" scale? Must order the trussrod from the US.
    The pickup I'm putting in will be a single MusicMan style pickup.

Since I'll be building all 3 at the same time this build will take some time. Posting progress here.

Cheers
    Tore, Norway

2. aronnes71

aronnes71

Haved glued up the neck. The pickup in the picture is not the one I'll be using. I am getting jworrellbass making me a white MM pickup for passive wireing. I will make the bass ready for another pickup if I need one later on. I will only use a volum controll, but maybe I'll add a tone later on. I have been thinking of a 3-way switch for using the picup as a single coil, paralell and in series, but I have not looked up wiring papers yet... I have some time to think about it, the shipping from the US to Norway take some time.

I have ordered a Pau Ferro fretboard from Lmii.com, and a truss rod. But I am wondering how long the truss rod should be. The length from the nut to where the body starts are ca 18 inch. Should the truss tod be 18 inch then?

Here is a quick mockup with the bridge and a Musicman Pickup.
    [​IMG]

When I have got everything I need for this build I will proseed to cut my first scarf joint. I'm thinking 13 degree angle.

3. aronnes71

aronnes71

Have cut out a body template in MDF. I usually cut my bodies out on the band saw but it leaves me with a lot of sanding, using a router and a template will make the body cleaner.

This build have came to a stop due to way to much to do. But the next step is to cut the skarf joint. I am a bit nervous about it, but one time must be the first., After that I plan to cut the taper in the neck before I glue the wings in.

I plan on cutting the head in the same shape as the guitar and mandolin.

Here is how the guitar build is coming allong:
    [​IMG]

And the electric mandolin:
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Tore

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic

Disclosures:
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    LOL very cool so far, love the little mando

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

7. aronnes71

aronnes71

While I wait on the fretboard and the truss rod from lmii I have done some work on the guitar.

Since this is my first bolt on neck I'm a bit worried about getting it right.

Here I drill the holes for the neck bolts.
    [​IMG]
    I had predrilled the holes in the body with a drillpress so they do get square and used a handdrill to drill the neck.

After the neck was installed I drilled the holes to the bridge. To get the bridge alligned with the neck it was a tiny bit off on the body, but it is only a copple of mm and I guess I'm the onlyone knowing...
    [​IMG]

Will finish the mandolin neck this weekend.

Cheers
    Tore

8. aronnes71

aronnes71

Have strung up the guitar and tested the pickups. They are Wilkinson Pickups an was OK sound for the price. I have to level the frets (11th to 13th), maybe I have to move the bridge back some mm, the adjustmets are almost maxed out...

Picture of the guitar:
    [​IMG]

The next ting on the guitar is to make it more confortble to play by cutting some of the body both on the front an back. Then sanding, painting and cut out the pick guards. Have been thinking about making a template in MDF since both the bass and the guitar almost have the same body size. Wonder if the pickguard blank plastic san be routed?

Have gotten the truss rod and fingerboard, but there is -20 degrees Celsius (-1 Farenheight) in the garage and I do not want to go there to work. Maybe I take a trip to my school to so some sanding and spray paint the mandolin neck.

On the bass I have to cut the fretboard to size and the taper (?). I will also have to cut the scarf joint and rout out the space for the truss rod.

But first off all, I have to make the Birthday party for the one getting the bass, my 12 year old son :)

Cheers
    Tore

9. aronnes71

aronnes71

Have been lazy lately, and waiting for some of the equipment. On the bass I have cut the scarf joint today, 13 degrees. Will glue it tomorrow.

Cutting
    [​IMG]

The mandolin neck have gotten the first layers of clear coat. Will try to put on the frets tomorrow. I have clear coated the fretboard aswell, I do not know if that will be a problem later.

Will post progress on all 3 instruments whenever I get the time.

Cheers
    Tore

10. aronnes71

aronnes71

Small update.

Have cut a groove in the body if I choose to put another pickup in the bass some time in the future, for now it will only have a MusicMan pickup. But you never know if there will be a need for another pickup later...

Have allso glued the scarf joint, used the toothpick trick I see others use to keep the wood alligned.
    [​IMG]

Cheers
    Tore

11. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member

12. Smilodon

Smilodon Supporting Member

That neck looks fantastic!

A bit OT question for you:

Where do you get your wood from and roughly how much did you pay for it?

I'm trying to source some wood with high enough quality to make a bass body. (And dry enough, so I don't have to wait two years before making anything. ;) )

13. aronnes71

aronnes71

Thanks!

I live in Alta, Norway and get my wood from a local carpenter shop that some friends own. They order whatever I need.
    Www.mathilassi.no

Cheers
    Tore

14. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

All three builds look amazing, but the mandolin looks absolutely brilliant. I wonder how a single P-pickup will sound on such a short scale. :D

15. aronnes71

aronnes71

Thanks for the kind words!

Have done a bit more work. Have routed the trussrod channel. Here is a picture of the routetable setup.
    [​IMG]

And the trussrod is in place. Will use a maple veener on the headstock.
    [​IMG]

I was hoping to save some sanding and used the router with a copy-bit attached and a template for cutting the body. I guess I did not do everything right... and got tearout...
    [​IMG]

I guess I did not save time, just got me a hole lot of extra work... I guess I learned something form the experience, and will have some extra sanding practice ;)

Cheers
    Tore

16. aronnes71

aronnes71

Have gotten a bit more work done, it is slowly looking more and more looking like a bass ;)

There the wings are glued on:
    [​IMG]

Made the template an ready for routing out the cavity for the Jworellbass MusicMan pickup:
    [​IMG]

Routed the picup and electronic cavity:
    [​IMG]

Hope to do some more work this week.

The neck for the mandolin have had some clearcoate(?) on and I will put in the frets soon.

I have been thinking of putting in a P-pass picup aswell, but I do not know wich distanse is the best form the bridge on a 30" scale bass? Any suggestion?

Cheers
    Tore

17. aronnes71

aronnes71

This weekend I decided to do some work on these. Have sanded a lot on the bass, aswell as doing the mandolin neck finished. The only thing I have left to do is attaching the nut and making the grooves.

Have made the first coat on the mandolin body.

Some photos of the neck:

Started the fretting.
    [​IMG]

Finished neck, front (sorry, bad photo):
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

18. aronnes71

aronnes71

Is there anybody who has a Jaguar Shortscale bass that can measure the distance from the bridge to the P-bass pickup in neck position? I´m thinking of adding a P-pickup to the Preacher bass in addition to the MM I already have.

Cheers
    Tore

19. xaxxat

xaxxat Supporting Member

I measure 24.5" (622.3 mm) from the nut to the centerline of the P pups.

20. aronnes71

aronnes71

Thanks! Now I have to make a template!

Cheers
    Tore

21. Herbie Chesnutt

Herbie Chesnutt Supporting Member

These are 14 flavors of awesome sauce. I can't wait to see that bass when it is done.