The psychology of a massive sell of

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BawanaRik, Apr 9, 2014.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I'm undergoing what might the biggest sell off I've done.

It's part of desire to simplify my life. And to start to be able to focus on things that matter more that material possessions.

While these things may be thing they all come with stories. And picked up tales as they were used. I've had my Jazz Bass since I was a kid. Life without it sitting in my closet will take some getting used to.

And some have dropped in value after recent market events.

And some, like my Les Paul while not show pieces I think are just better sounding pieces of gear than other examples I've played.

While I don't have the discipline to become a monk I do want to get ready for the change.

Any advice as to how to become freer from junk. The memories are cool.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've purged material belongings a couple times in my life now. I find it liberating and refreshing. A little scary perhaps, wondering what will I do without such and such, but it always works out when I do it.

I worked on associating my memories to people instead of items. Once I was able to make those connections deeper than the material connection to the item, it was easier. Say I had a baseball glove my grandpa gave me. Rather than identifying my grandpa by that glove, I worked on remembering the times my grandpa and I played baseball or watched baseball together. Soon the item became less valuable to me as the fond memories became more valuable.

At this point in my life, age 42, I do not own anything that I can't live without. No family heirlooms, no toys, no prized possessions, etc.

-Mike

3. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

There's a certain kind of liberation in simplifying your life. As somebody who spent almost twenty years in relationships with hoarders I hate "stuff" with a passion.

The rule at my house is if something new comes in, an equal or greater quantity of stuff must go. It's been a long process.

I heard an interview with a guy referenced in this piece on NPR a couple years ago.
    http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1812048,00.html

Good luck.

4. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

I try not to horde things. I realized earlier in life material possessions aren't worth more than friends so I don't spend a lot of money on material things. I'm not saying I don't have material possessions, I stay away from impulsive shopping. So, instead, I have a bad habit of spending too much time window shopping.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

I could probably live with 4 basses and 2 amps.

7. AngryPig1

AngryPig1

yeah im currenlty moving into a houseshare and due to financial contraints im going froma big room down to a tiny one... I dont own that much stuff, but the room i am moving into wont even fit the furniture i own and im gonna really struggle to set up my little bedroom studio which is essentially all that keeps me sane. so yeah... im gonna have to strip back a lot of stuff in my life, clothes i dont wear, send loads of my books to charity shops or give to friends (i've read them already so others may as well enjoy them :)) sell my climbing gear as i dont really do that anymore...

luckily im blessed with being skint so i dont have a collection of basses and amps to store, just two basses 2 guitars 1 amp which will now double as a table with the gutiars hanging from the walls..

TBH im actually looking forward to stripping back stuff and living a less cluttered more organised life. ive recently hacked a lot of chaos out of my life (mainly by curbing a ridiculous drinking habit) and im viewing this as another positive step in that direction.

however, i dont know the size of your bass colection but my first ever battered little peavey is never being parted from me, getting that guy changed my life. i dont know how you got rid of your jazz.

good luck though. you'll feel better once its done

8. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

If I'm not in a financial bind, if it doesn't get played then it gets sold.
    Last one I did was when my youngest son was about to start college.
    I sold about 10 basses(Gibson, 4 Orvilles, Rondo/Brice, 80's Steinberger).
    As said above, you feel better when it's done.

Do you own your possessions or do they own you?

9. Guitarodeo

Guitarodeo Supporting Member

Take pictures of the stuff your memories are associated with. The unused items will be gone, but you can still view the pics if you choose to rekindle the memories. And this frees up a lot of space in your life in more ways than one.

10. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

I love a purge and to live minimalist.
    However, you may regret getting rid of that jazz bass if you've had it your whole life and it means something to you. In my next purge (happening this year, I'm sure) I will sell off that '73 SG that I've been holding on to just because it's the nicest axe I'll ever own and know I will want it IF I ever start playing guitar again.....but the telecaster I bought in college and was my stage guitar for years I will never get rid of, it's a part of me even if I haven't touched it in a decade.

11. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

>>Any advice as to how to become freer from junk. The memories are cool.>>

I'm in the same spot you are. I am getting rid of stuff, a lot of it inherited, that I didn't necessarily need or want. Clutter can be oppressive.
    However I think hoarding has become one of those over used this is how I'm better than you expressions. Real hoarders are way extreme and have a mental issue. I'm equally put off by wasters, people who trash perfectly good things and run out and buy new next time they need whatever they threw in the landfill because it wasn't used for 6 months .
    Finding a reasonable balance that fits your life and what's important to you is a good goal. Don't let things have too much control over you, in either extreme.

12. hover

hover

I do the "purge" once a year, be it stuff from the guest bedroom that by default becomes the catch-all for my kid's discards, the "later day" stuff from the basement or attic, or from my music gear collection.

There is a beauty to "streamlining" your life, and I try to live as simply and uncluttered as I can. I have stuff to off right now actually.

Psychologically, I think it's therapeutic, and helpful (at least to me) as I see dollars-gone from long ago, sometimes spent haphazardly come back to the household to a degree, and I just bank it and sit on it, or reinvest to stuff for fixing up the house.

Hell, i built a big shed in the back yard from stuff I sold off, and when it's finished, the boy and I will have a place to do projects and fix stuff, and then is orders of magnitude more awesome than having two more basses that just collect dust.

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have lots of stuff, including stuff from my parents. I'm OK with it.

14. BawanaRik

I've unloaded some junk. Including things I would never have sold in a normal mindset.

Then I plugged my Moog Delay in and played it. Wow that sounds good.

But I'm going to be strong.

15. Robus

Robus Supporting Member

Why sell the jazz, unless you are really and I mean really hard up? If it's still a player why not play it?

16. Milk

Milk

For years I used to own next to nothing, not even enough to fill a medium sized room with. I was also constantly moving (well within the same city though). I've been in the same apartment for four years now (longest time i've lived anywhere since moving out on my own) and in that time acquired about double (maybe triple) what i used to own. My gf owns about 5 times what i own. This apartment looks positively filled mainly due to her stuff. As a result though it makes me feel tied down to this place. At this point the logistics of moving becomes so complicated i'd just rather stay here even if i'm getting a bit sick of the place (it's a semi basement and it feels like living in a cave, i miss light, well other than artifical light i mean) I feel sometime stuff..."weighs" you down.

On the other hand my gf kinda taught me its alright to actually want some things sometimes. I kinda used to not allow myself to buy anything except the essentials. I do think some stuff CAN make you happier. It just can't make you happy. If that makes sense. And some people just can't seem to stop wanting more and more. That's a problem. Also, she taught me to settle down some. I mean for years i was kinda half living in boxes. I remember after the first year here making the conscious decision to leave nothing in boxes anymore. It kinda felt good. To finally go, alright, let's not worry about where i might next be, let's just be here.

17. BawanaRik

Montreal is a great here to be. Leonard Cohen!

18. Milk

Milk

I live close to a diner where he was rumored to sometimes go. I went there half a dozen times in the past years always secretely hoping he would be there but I don't think he's in mtl a lot anymore. Especially not with the constant touring hes doing to make up for hia agent running off with his cash.

19. BawanaRik

I hear he has been doing time as a Buddhist monk in California.

Agents. There was a song back in the day called White Bird.

People had many interpretations of what the song was about.

The reality was the song was about the band's agent destroying the band and any hope of them making it big.

20. David Jayne

David Jayne