1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The psychology of having an opinion....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

sort of an open-ended psychology-esque type question for discussion if anyone's interested;
    What is it about "opinions" that make some people cling to them so vehemently? Or otherwise, why do some people feel the need to have to force theirs on someone else's?

Right at this moment, I can say things that will likely get me attacked:

I like the Philadelphia Eagles.
    I don't like liberalism.
    I don't like conservatism.
    Bacon's no big deal.
    I think 4 string basses are the best.

Why is it that after saying those things, some of you will feel the driving urge or need to "correct me" on any number of those statements? Why?

let's not argue about the basses or bacon, ok? I'm curious as to why the need to dispute things is there?

2. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    Records of Existence/PyrE owner
    The fact that you seem to have no opinion on how Dexter ended makes me seriously doubt your cognitive abilities.

3. Dave Siff

Dave Siff

I think it depends on the topic, but generally speaking, if someone is passionately into something, or for or against it, they're going to defend their point of view. That's why politics and religion and sports and music are such hot buttons.
    And bacon. It is a big deal. I'm sorry. :D

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

well, my opinion on that is "I really don't care"

Mad yet? huh? HUH??

:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

That's just, like, your opinion, maaaan.

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Because "you are what you think". When a person's subjective reality is somehow threatened or disturbed, it triggers a defense mechanism. It reminds me of a quote I heard in the documentary movie, Crumb. Robert Crumb was speaking with his older brother about the personal dynamic between the two of them when they were growing up. The older brother said, "When narcissism is wounded, it wants to strike out at the person that wounded it". I think that's probably what it boils down to.

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    If someone behaves in a way that affects me because of their opinion, then it's fair game for criticism or questioning.

Otherwise, none of my business unless both parties are arguing for the sheer sport of it.

9. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    But seriously, i think it comes from a narrowed one world viewpoint of a topic or life in general. The more one is exposed to something beyond their single reference point the more likely one is to even passively accept and understand that the world, and hence most experiences within it, are by nature very relative. Exceptions are to be found of course. Murder is generally wrong still, but most other topics are merely preferences that reinforce ones comfort, sense of self, or appeases ones insecurities and fears. I may be wrong, it doesnt really matter though.

10. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    that comment really tied the thread together Dude.

11. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Right!

Politics I can see because it's something that directly impacts our lives in one way or another, but sports? Music?
    Hypothetically - My wife hates Rush, I like Rush - why should I feel a need to change her mind? What difference would it really make either way?
    She loves the Jets and Giants, I'm a Philly boy, why should the fact that I like the Eagles bother her?

12. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    You could sit and listen to music together and enjoy a shared experience.

That's getting into tribal identity and all that stuff, IMO.

13. eyeballkid

eyeballkid

Disclosures:
    well... you could then finally live out your fantasy of making love while listening to Working Man.

14. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Yeah this, I would have to agree with it, definitely.

15. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

That's your problem Charlie Brown. You're wishy-washy. :p

[​IMG]

16. Gazman

Gazman

Maybe it is because if someone sees an opinion that differs from their own, they feel like theirs has been called into question, or devalued in some way?

If you liked one thing, and I liked another, I might try to persuade you to change in order to re-affirm my opinion.

I have a 6 string bass made of bacon, it's very tasty.

17. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Listen, you are fast becoming to me what Newman was to Seinfeld!!

*sneering voice* Ssslobake....*/sneering voice*

18. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Your wife hates Rush!? I hope that is purely hypothetical. Haha

Seriously, though, it depends on what your opinion is about. If I love Peanut Butter and you can't stand it, I doubt we'll argue the point. If someone comes up to you and says "The bass is such a stupid instrument, all I hear is the guitar and drums anyway!" you will definitely feel a need to defend yourself and your craft.

Know what I mean?

19. Mushroo

Mushroo

Oh, their relationship made me so sad. I felt like Charles was arguably the more gifted artist, but just couldn't function in the world to the extent of his "normal" brother Robert. :(

Back to our regularly scheduled thread...

20. bassinplace

bassinplace

*spit take!*

21. Papa Dangerous

Papa Dangerous

It is in my opinion that become set in their ways, especially with time. The more time that passes the ingrained those opinions become to that person. When someone disagrees, it almost challenges that person's perspective and could make them question: "Have I been believing something that is wrong? Why are they right?? I cannot have this, I must rebuke!!" No one really likes to admit what they have believed for so long is "wrong" especially after standing so strongly to that concept.

When it comes to politics and religion, people tend to use these concepts as guidelines to life... you have one life, who wants to live it wrong?

Same with a sports team... either yourr hometown has to reigning champion in the league or your crappy little town means absolutely nothing and won't ever get remembered and thus means the individual who grew up there will too never be remembered. Or it means you picked the worst team and all this knowledge of the game you have is wasted by picking out the worst team in existence (if they are not number 1) and one should be ridiculed to the end for it!

When people do not conform to the social norm, they are seen as outsiders.. rebels... the downfall of society. Free thinkers are to be condemned.

It could deeper then the "defense mechanism" approach. There can be specific experiences a person has been through that causes them to be so adamant about something, despite how invasion their opinion may be on another person. For example, topics of a abortion... maybe someone who is unable to reproduce gets offended that someone who is capable will go through such a process to not have the baby once the seed has been planted.

Some people enjoy causing arguments and to disagree on things just brings them joy.

Perhaps there could be some type of mental wiring that causes them to behave such a way. In some children with a Conduct Disorder... if you yell at them, they take that as a cue that they are horrible and will never do anything right... if you help them, they get angry and think there is something wrong with them for not being able to handle a situation. If you ignore them, they respond with more negative behavior.

If not hardwired, it could be experiences they went through growing up - nature vs nurture concept.

Perhaps sometimes people think they have the right answer or response of significant value but fail to present the topic in an appropriate manner. Instead of saying: "Hmm, that is interesting, especially how such and such is such and such; however, from my experience/thinking/etc I have found that this approach presents an alternative outlook that you may be interested in understanding." (or some type of politically correct junk like that).

The reasons could be endless and I find it easier to break down each individual situation and analyze it to conjure up a more exact plausible cause.

My lunch is here... I will reread and correct after posting (if necessary) :D