1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The 'real' Bass Bible..

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cheesypita, Jan 2, 2010.

1. cheesypita

cheesypita

Does anyone have any experience w/ the lesser known but way more powerful book (well actually more like binded paper) called 'The Bass Bible' by Scott Reed? I know Paul Westwood also has a book he calls the bass bible..this is not that.

It holds many, many finger exercises in standard notation. This thing has everything from the just starting out to some of the absolute most difficult exercises I've ever come across.

Reason I ask is because I haven't seen the copy I had in years and I'm really wanting to get a replacement. I mean, it's the best bass finger exercise book ever created..it's gotta be out there somewhere..:meh:

2. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

I've never heard of it....but now I wanna see it! Googled it....no joy. Anyone else has any luck?

3. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

+1 to Paul... subscribed out of curiosity!

5sg.

4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    I had a spiral bound copy I bought years ago-lots of fingering combinations. I went to NTSU with Scott Reed in the 70s. He worked with the Temptations among other acts and was back in school finishing his degree and getting his chops up. I think he's in Memphis-I'll try to look him up and see what he (and the book) are doing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cheesypita

cheesypita

Wow! that's very exciting to read, especially since I had absolutely no background on the author. And that is definitely the one.. Mine was a green, black spiral bound book. Any updates on looking him up or the book? was he someone that you knew/ performed w/ in college?

I'd be more than willing to pay a substantial price for that binder..hint hint if you ever find it ;)

7. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Yes, we were hanging buddies/fellow bass students/ together. If I find him I'll see if he has any copies and encourage him to publish it again....

8. fivestringgecko

Keep us posted... I'd be more than just a little interested in purchasing a copy as well! Hope you can find him! :bassist:

5sg.

9. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    He's listed on here! Do an Advanced Search for bass teachers in all categories in Tennessee and he's right there. I've PM'ed him about books.:hyper:

10. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Here's how to use the Advanced Member Search to find a bass teacher in your area:

1. Click Member List.
    2. Then Click Search Members.
    3. On the window that scrolls out, click Advanced Search.
    4. Select state from "Available for Instruction" dropdown, and select areas of instruction (double bass classical, double bass jazz, bass guitar).

11. paul_wolfe

paul_wolfe

Hey Roy

Thanks for that!

Still curious about that book....with the self publishing options that are open to people now it would be pretty easy to re-publish....(if anyone needs any guidance drop me a PM - but there's Amazon Create, Light Space, eBooks - as well as typesetting it yourslef with a program like InDesign and getting it printed....)

12. fivestringgecko

That ROCKS. Can you fill us in when you hear from him or should we PM him as well? (I'm fine either way.) :)

+1 to Paul as well, there are quite a few options. I'd even be okay with a Kinko's copy, as long as I could read everything. Wouldn't need to be all fancy, as far as I'm concerned. :D

5sg.

13. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

The books were called Left Hand Gymnastics for Electric Bass (green cover) and
    More Left Hand Gymnastics for Electric Bass (yellow cover). There is a third book
    Still More Left Hand Gymnastics for Electric Bass (blue cover) but it wasn't widely
    circulated.
    Thanks for the kudos guys since I wrote and published these books in 1981-82 and I've seen books come out since that are similar. I figured with the popularity of the five and six string bass these books were outdated.
    I still hold registered copyright on the books. I have my original manuscripts along
    with a couple of copies of each. The originals were spiral-bound Xerox sheets with
    card stock covers. The text was done on an IBM Selectric Typewriter - things were
    primitive compared to now for sure.
    Anyone who is interested PM me - maybe we can work something out.
    I can't believe anyone used these in the last twenty years!

14. sirpug

sirpug

I'd be interested. I wonder if it would be easier and/or better to put it in an electronic format, like a PDF or something.

15. redstrand

redstrand

Disclosures:
    Fool For Four Strings
    I'm interested as well. There are a lot of services out there that will scan the whole shooting match for you. You can self publish these through something like LuLu (that's what I have my kids use to publish their creative journals). That way each of us can pay for each copy so you don't have any overhead.

16. fivestringgecko

PM'd Scott!

And a thought... I may play 5-6 string basses, but any book I can learn something from and become a better player is a good book. Left hand technique is something I've wanted to get back and focus on, and if it's as good as Cheesy said in his original post, it'll be worth every penny. :cool:

Keep us posted!

5sg.

17. scott reed

scott reed Supporting Member

Both Left Hand Gymnastics books are now available. PM me for details or email me at
    srbass747@yahoo.com if you're interested in these classics.

18. m_bisson

m_bisson

are any of these suitable for beginners?

19. dwight Pittman

dwight Pittman

Hey Scott, I bought left hand gymnastics for elec bass in Denton in about 1981 and have used it almost daily since then for a warm-up , except when I get lazy or have to concentrate on upright. In fact, I just went through a page. Since I couldn't find it for sale until now, I've written similar exercises and give them to my students at Lindenwood University in St Charles, MO. It keeps your fingers alive ,makes you think, and, helps you remember your way around the fingerboard. I strongly reccommened it.
    Also, ROY VOGT, I remember you from NTSU and that you had an Alembic. I was there from 1976-1980 & hung around Denton till 1983. If you're still at Belmont, I think you have one of my former students, Zach Crouch from St Louis, MO. He was a very good student, always prepared.