the rendition freedom...

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by angelika, Oct 6, 2012.

1. angelika

angelika

Isn't it to much?

P.S. - i think that his moving along with the music is inquired for him to create his sound

2. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

I kind of want Chris to close this thread, not because your question isn't valid, but because the last time we had a Guy Tuneh thread it became this massive circlejerk and took over this side of the DB forum for weeks.

3. angelika

angelika

Absolutely!

There is much to much to discuss about Mr. Tunehs approach to playing the string bass.
    I do think it would be great not to have some users taking it to such personally level as we already had here.

Best

A.

4. Ryanpet42

Ryanpet42 Guest

I personally think that he is a great player, but I also think that he tries too hard to play violin pieces. He actually sounds really good playing the Elgar Cello concerto, but his Paganini recordings are missing a certain depth in tone and are rather free with the tempo. But the video you posted, he is playing very well at a very good level.

But's what with the "World Premiere" thing?

But a great player nonetheless, just not my style. I prefer more lyrical and Romantic or Contemporary literature rather than Baroque or Classical, but everybody's different.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bejoyous

bejoyous

Sounds fine to me.

7. THE SAW

THE SAW

8. angelika

angelika

I'm quite charmed by his right hand.

Still, it enjoys lots of latitude for classical work, as if it would be romantic, great musical ideas (relative different than Beethoven's score) lots of "saying" but NOT 100% "classic" by the book. The "by the book school" would like to hear it simple as it is, some would might say its enough to use "classic articulation", well in that case Mr. Tuneh got it right, but what about "classical style" which is well known by those who are more familiar with the German/European tradition (where everything began), after all G. Tuneh studied under legends like B. Sanderling and W. G├╝ttler and owns the luxury Swiss "Solist Artist Diploma". His collaborations with M. Gajdos, G. Karr, D. Barenboim, S. Rattle and many many other key musical figures and by being exposed to many sources its clear that Mr. Tuneh is well aware of multiple traditions streams as much as wide spectrum of double bass Scholas and musical influences. Perhaps it's part of Guy Tuneh's own style of making music, Tuneh is well known as someone who knows exactly "why" and "know how" by his way of performing and playing Bass, someone who has his own reasons, i hope for him that he calculated with troubles as some musicologists and co. will point his way of celebrating this double bass premiere. (with premiere i mean by that the G Major romance, since the F Major is already played on bass - as transcribed, nevertheless this F Major performance is an un-transcribed version)
    As far as it reflects my opinion, it's light years away/ahead from what i as a "Commonplace Beethoven consumer" familiar with, it might create the feeling of not to be able to be exposed to it at that moment. It needs time to get use to that different...
    However what a gusto double bass playing, way of expression, sensitivity (maybe too much for bass) BUT Also too much imagination/Personality
    for my taste at the moment.

Angelika

9. wBass1980

wBass1980 Banned

"I also think that he tries too hard to play violin pieces" ? -
    successfully actually.

angelika dear, what a characterization! did you ever hear descriptions such as: originality / individualism / independence of mind / display of self-will /
    outlandishness? are those outlaw while making music? or even better; playing bass?
    however it isn't uninteresting viewing, funny i was quite sure that the origin
    of bass playing was found by the good old jazz gurus in the States (America) thank to those who lived back in the slavery epoch days, wasn't it?

10. ThumpPlunkJunk

ThumpPlunkJunk

I see it more as him playing good pieces.

The bass has such little repertoire that it's almost impossible not to expand into other instruments' repertoire.

His Elgar was fantastic, I agree. But about the Paganini: I don't think they should be taken all that seriously in regards to tempi. A violinist once told me that he tried his best to not listen to any recordings of the caprices before he played them in order to get an interpretation that was solely his, and that's what I think they should be used for. They're show pieces anyway--if he was playing Mendelssohn or something then I think it would be appropriate to question his adherence to what's written, but the caprices, to me, are a blank slate to show off as much as you want.

I really hate his tone on that caprice though. I think that's a geographical thing, though--I'm sure playing that way is more accepted in different parts of the world.

11. angelika

angelika

The sound quality sounds like very non-professional recording, like most of the recording out there, in which Mr. Tuneh can be heard for free (costless)
    The Paganini recording have totally new rendition, as i meant by referring to the Beethoven G major romance. (read my latest reply)
    However the Paganini reordering sounds as if he would play "Con sordino" , if its true i have no idea what Mr. Tuneh meant by doing it.
    The other recordings have total different rang of a wide acoustic depths, so i guess its also making a different, but still i think his rendition has something new in its other musical approach to what everyone would might expect to hear from those Paganini caprices, in this case it doesn't sound like a show off, it sounds to me more like "see and listen - there is much more inside of it",a la Bach for instance or something like this if you'd like...

12. wBass1980

wBass1980 Banned

My high recognition ThumpPlunkJunk! words of wisdom... is it only me or the world is getting to be more open minded?

13. periodical

periodical

More people are learning to ignore threads like this.

14. wBass1980

wBass1980 Banned

"Con sordino" - might be, or just bad day by all of those who participated...

15. angelika

angelika

comparing to this recording...:

Best

A.

16. angelika

angelika

Mr. Tuneh speaks about his orchestra playing, nice interview: (his part begin at 03:40)

P.S. his movements are not so extreme like in other performances of him...

17. angelika

angelika

. . . apropos quality recording, an acoustical video which appears to be new, fresh uploaded, a short nugget of live recording including Guy Tuneh & fine musicians.

Performance of Mozart‘s Divertimento, what a delightful chamber music session.

Notable, there is no cello, instead of cello, there is Guy Tuneh "basing" with his sting bass, doing it with gusto while carrying the ensemble.
    Noticeable: the „storyteller“- the violinist C. Schann.

Finally, decent recording of Guy, i like the way he differentiates his sound/tone combining those to phrase.

B.T.W. - i didnt know that Mr. Tuneh is an active performer in any ensemble . . .

ENJOY:

Video 1:

18. angelika

angelika

From Guy Tuneh's official web / the new official Facebook Page:

"
    Double Bass World Premiere:

Love

passion

expression

devotion

courage