1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Rickenbacker Club Part Eleven

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
  2. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    and so it goes

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    Or, as Kosh put it: "And so it begins(again)!"

4. car_man65

car_man65

Ok so for the last couple posts my rick was not together, but now it is all done and I would like a club number! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1391223354.352813.jpg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Supporting Member

Jeff, cool Babylon 5 reference, although I'm sure no one else got it. Jeeze we're geeks!

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

8. Ron Clark

Ron Clark carpe diem Supporting Member

I'm in with my 73 JetGlo (checkerboard) and 80 AutumnGlo (the AG is up for sale on TB classified)

Attached Files:

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

10. Jeff Scott

Dane, have you seen this?

I just finished watching it (some bad audio but still a great ttribute); it is quite moving in parts, and really cements, for me, just how great B5 truly was as a concept and series. :bassist:

11. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by woodyng
    I think it's the white pearly fret markers over maple. I never liked that look on Fender Jazz basses either.
    Yet another case of different strokes. I hate the black "inlays" on maple boards you see all the time... looks like a wooden hornet. The faux pearl on maple is much less common and looks a lot classier to me. Guitar builders just can't win no matter who they try to please with something new... which is why they often stick with something old and familiar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NYCbassist
    I'm the opposite as usual. I love the Maple but the Dark body looks too much like a piece of furniture to me. Now Jet-Glo and maple sounds like a winner.

Some 4004Ls came out in that configuration in the early 2000s.

Actually, the 4004L started as only Jetglo with maple fingerboard (other colors appeared on the Laredo a few years later). All 4004s (Cheyenne and Laredo) had maple fingerboards from 1992 to 1999 when RIC switched them over to bubinga fingerboards. 2020 and 2060 basses also had maple fingerboards, as did the 2030GL Glenn Frey bass -- although the fingerboard is painted black ala the Blackstar.

12. Jeff Scott

And, I can attest to the wickedly fantastic tone the 2030GF creates! :bassist:

13. RandomBox

RandomBox

Man, the 4003W looks great. Don't think I've ever seen a maple neck on a 4003. Some 4004's but not the 4003.

I personally like the triangle inlays on maple.

14. Aceonbass

Aceonbass Supporting Member

I had not seen that Jeff. Actually, I'd never even seen B5 till my fiance turned me on to it last year. She also likes Rush and Star Trek, so I'm definitely keeping her!

15. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Time to go to bed but I cant pass up the first page of representing.

[​IMG]

16. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Right boot. Got it. Supporting Member

My 3 Rics, and a new 4003W is on order.

[​IMG]

17. kcole4001

kcole4001

Nice!
    You seem to have a preference for black trim.
    Collecting the less common basses can be a decent investment if you get them at a good price.
    I see PoTR is offering the 4003W at $200 more than a standard 4003.

Anyway, here's my little gang again, since we're off on part 11:

[​IMG]

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

19. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

20. Jazz4

Jazz4

QuReviews? What exactly do you think the wood change will do? Maple vs. Carribean rosewood under an eighth inch of polyurethane won't feel any different and I can't imagine the fretboard affects the sound significantly.ote by Dave Sill;

In the first place it's not a poly'd neck. It's hand rubbed. So there will be a somewhat different sound and a different feel as well. The pictures of the 4003W that have been posted are of a model that was made for NAMM. I suspect the best of the best so to speak. I'd like to see an actual production model. I would also be curious about the neck width and thickness. Build quality, etc, etc. A review IMO is a guideline to making an educated decision on a purchase, no matter what the product is. Here on TB I have based a number of purchases on reviews. The Walkabout, Bergantino cabs just to mention a few. And I've been more than happy with the purchases. Anybody in their right mind wouldn't just order one just to see what it's like. At least not around here. It's money up front and it's yours. If it's a matter of, I don't like the sound or feel of it. To bad so sad.
    So if I'm going to spend a week or two pay cheques on something I'm not going to do it on a whim. Unless I know for sure I can resell it and not lose a dime on it.

21. woodyng

woodyng

Actually i dislike ALL blocked and bound necks,so it isn't just the washed out color combination i object to. Speaking of old and familiar,I would love to see this walnut concept in an "S" model. ( preferably with dark dot markers). But that's just me....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.