The right amp for my experiment

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bananaghost, Jan 22, 2014.

1. bananaghost

bananaghost

I recently saw a two piece group with a particularly innovative guitarist. He used an octaver to boost his lower end, then ran it into a bass amp and was able to craft awesome tones in the lower register. I've been thinking about using a similar technique to fill in the higher frequencies in a bass and drum project. If I were to split my signal, run one end into my bass rig and the other into a pitch shifter (I've been leaning towards the POG 2) and into my Vox AC15 guitar amp to sculpt my high end would I run the risk of damaging the guitar amp? I've been told not to run a bass into the guitar amp because the lower frequencies could damage the speaker, but if it's only being used for the upper frequencies would that still apply?
  2. decentbassbreh

decentbassbreh

3. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    If the pitch shifter allows you to send only the higher frequencies to the Vox amp, you'll be fine.
  4. clmayhew

clmayhew

Thanks for the insight.

I don't see why you'd have an issue. Are you separating the frequencies with a crossover?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lz4005

lz4005

If you're sending mostly the wet (octave up) signal from the pitch shifter into the guitar amp it shouldn't be much different from a guitar signal. At least in terms of potential speaker damage.

You should be able to blend in some dry signal if it sounds good to you as well. I wouldn't go 100% dry signal into the AC15 at high volume, though. That's when damage is more likely.
  7. bananaghost

bananaghost

Awesome, thanks for all of the input! I look forward to trying this out.