The Roger Waters Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NickLomango, Nov 7, 2011.

1. NickLomango

NickLomango

Hi guys!

So, I have been searching for the Roger Waters Signature Club and it seems there is none around. There was a thread about its release, I subscribed it and posted pictures thinking it would be what I was looking for... but it seems that this wonderful P Bass is without a club so far.

I bought mine back in March, just a week before Roger Waters´ The Wall concert in Madrid.

It has been my first Fender Bass and it was love on first touch. I loved that feeling... I walked into the shop already with the intention of checking it out. I am a Pink Floyd fan and I love the sound of Roger Waters´ lines. I was impressed about it from the moment I picked it up. It was a nice bass to have on and the neck felt great, I loved the thickness of it on the spot. The SPB-3 sounded really great too. I was totally blown away by that bass. I had previously owned an Ibanez TR and last year after a long break from playing got myself a Squier Vintage Modified P Bass. After the Roger Waters I have bought a Geddy Lee and I have to say that´s also an awesome bass, as so it is the Squier, however the love affair I have with "Mary Jane" (referring to how I call my Roger Waters) is something else.

I have changed the bridge do to a faulty saddle but I like the vintage chrome bridge a lot better and it is the one Roger uses on his bass as I could check at the concert.

Anyway, if anybody has any infos, stories, experiences with their Roger Waters Signature P Bass, this is the place to share it!

Welcome to the club...

2. WhiteNinja

WhiteNinja

I don't have one, but I'm really interested in getting one! I tried one out last time in a music store, and I really liked it. I would modify it slightly though. Probably replace the 1/4 pounders with more vintage/traditional pups, cream/white coloured. I do dig the black bridge and knobs, but I'd probably swap them out with a chrome bridge and cream/white knobs.

But yeah, someday, I'll join this club! :D

3. NickLomango

NickLomango

I like the mods you would like to do. It is a good bass to mod. Basic black color helps a lot to a variety of PG and it also have a bronze nut which is somewhat unique from most P. With a bit of personal touch you can make your personal custom bass.

4. ThumpsAlot

ThumpsAlot

I love mine! Count me in

The Twins.jpg

Me at Homerun.jpg

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NickLomango

NickLomango

7. winterburn69

winterburn69

Been gassing for one since April. Played one at Long & McQuade. Loved it. It's definitely gonna be my next bass unless I find a practically free non-reverse thunderbird.

8. NickLomango

NickLomango

So, this is a pix of my gear. Besides my Roger Waters Sig P Bass I use as my back up bass a Squier VM P Bass. My rig is an Ashdown Mag300 and 2 x 410T. I use Rotosound 77 LD on both basses and an Ashdown HyperDrive LoMenzo. Since I don´t like to be pushing the Mag300 bottoms in/out during concerts I use a Boss CS-3 as compressor rather the built in the Mag´s got.
    I guess I sound pretty good with my current set up. I like it a lot and people often tell me they could truly "feel" the bass.
    Peace

9. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    If they were available left-handed I'd have one; I'm a huge Floyd/Roger fan. Just have to settle for this:
    [​IMG]

10. NickLomango

NickLomango

Amazing concert! I saw it this year here in Madrid... You will enjoy it!

11. NickLomango

NickLomango

So, i was wondering what is the feature on your Roger Waters sig bass you like the most?! I really like the sound of the Quarter Punds PUs, that with the added sustain given by the brass nut gives the bass such a punch... A true round and powerful sound and when I play with my band I add sometimes a bit of distortion but very subtle just to have that Vintage feeling and added boost.
    Peace

12. NickLomango

NickLomango

Which strings type do you use with your Roger Waters?

I use Rotos 77 Medium gauge. It sounds pretty good and with the extra added sustain from the brass nut it rocks.

13. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

Hey can I join? Its not a new one, but an '85 that I play in my PF tribute band.

ForumRunner_20111207_073923.png

14. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Disclosures:
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    I think they are pretty cool basses, but can't understand why the blacked out hardware with the chrome tuners?

15. NickLomango

NickLomango

Very Cool bass. I guess the major difference is the 3 ply PG on yours with the white middle. What PU do you use? And what kind of nut?

As we all now the Roger Waters is not one of those full of features signature models... It is actually pretty straight forward: less is more (a bit like Roger's bass playing style), for me it is about the feeling and if you feel this is it you got your number:
    #3.
    Welcome to the club!

16. NickLomango

NickLomango

It seems this is how he requested for his sig model. On mine due to a faulty saddle I had to change the bridge. I installed a chrome American Vintage and I love it a lot better then the black one. I guess chrome on both ends it balances the color out better. However the knobs I kept them black because on the one ply black PG and black body it looks awesome.

17. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

It's actually all original except for the PG and the BA2 bridge. I added the bridge because the body was so light that it needed a little extra weight to keep the neck from diving. I use an Ashdown MAG600H, Aguilar DB410, and a Line6 M9 stombox to complete the sound...

Here's a cheesy video (recorded on a Zoom)...
    Eclipse.mov - YouTube

18. Dams

Dams

Hi mates !

Please count me in.
    I'm in love with mine !

[​IMG]

I've put a vintage Fender chrome bridge, and chrome knobs. As to me it looks better now.
    Maybe I'll change the pickguard for a 3-plys one (B/W/B or B/Cream/B).
    I use d'Addario chrome flatwounds. It sounds very bright and punchy with the tone open, and warm and mellow with the tone closed.

19. NickLomango

NickLomango

Man, I really liked your videos, specially Breathe... Very nice!

I use my Roger Waters with an Ashdown Mag300 and 2x 410T Ashdown Cabs. I do have a Zoom B2.1u that I use mostly with the Geddy Lee I have but with my Roger I usually go flat and clean... I just like how it sounds so much that besides some distortion from a LoMenzo Hyperdrive I don´t use anything else. I guess this is also due to the band´s needs.

I do use a set of flatwounds on mine, as far as I known same kind of strings Roger uses on his bass. Do you use flats or rounds when playing Pink Floyd?

Take care!

20. NickLomango

NickLomango

Totally agree with man, with a set of flats on this bass is totally punchy when tone is open and mellow when closed...

I like the chrome knobs, I have the chrome bridge only on mine.

Welcome to the club #4

21. NickLomango

NickLomango

The Roger Waters Precision Bass Club - Members #

NickLomango #Founder
    Thump_Alot #2
    sj_bass #3
    Dams #4

Thanks all members - Keep On Rockin`!