the "round" to "growl" continuum for P-bass Pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by honkyfunk, Jan 18, 2014.

1. honkyfunk

honkyfunk

If one wanted to build a quiver of P-basses, which makes/models of the split coil pickups would occupy the "growl" or "cut-through" end of the spectrum? (No P/J configs here or 9 volt additions, just the passives for P-bass.) Most grateful for any knowledge on this. Thx!

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    IMO a DiMarzio Model-P would be my first choice. It's a higher output, ballsy sounding P-style pickup that's intended to be ran passive. It's a great pickup for Rock or Punk styles. It's tone certainly isn't "Vintage P-Bass", but to my ears, it still has a P-Bass vibe to it's tone.

3. carlitoswhey

carlitoswhey Supporting Member

Pick up placement has a little bit to do with growl too. More in the middle equals more in the middle. And keep the pups higher out of the body. Closer to the strings. And finally, for disputable reasons, keep the action lower and with thinner ish strings. This may help when you eq the amp.

4. pfox14

pfox14

How many is a quiver?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

I think the Fender '62 P pickup has a beautiful top end that snarls and barks, but also has a full and musical rounded deep mid.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

one good vintage-style P (for me it's the fralin) but with 500k volume and tone pots;

i get more grind and growl than a normal P bass, then as i back the tone knob down i swing through "normal" into "round" into "dark".

who needs active? :)