The Rubber Band Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mongo2, Nov 20, 2013.

1. mongo2

mongo2

The idea of a more generic thread for small petrochemical based stringed basses was brought up in another thread so I thought I'd run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

Ashbory, Kala, Goldtone, etc. as long as it has rubbery strings, post about it here.

I love the "Uprighteous" tone and I have several Guild Ashborys from the 80s and the more recent DeArmond.

I've tried the Kala and I'm waiting to try a longer scale Goldtone.

No numbers issued, no pictures required but if you feel the urge by all means post pictures.
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Way to take the initiative. I've owned 4 ubasses and sold each one for either need of quick dough or loss of interest. My fretted microbass is allegedly arriving later today. Pictures to come.

For those who haven't heard petrochemically strung basses....

Uprightish ubass tone:

The strings:
    Pahoehoe
    [​IMG]: Stock strings on most ubasses.
    They're low tension, super stretchy and take weeks, if not longer, to reach stability. They're the smoothest and best sounding option, IMO.

Thunderguts
    [​IMG]
    Made my aquila. More plastic than rubber. They're higher tension and reach stability almost immediately. For most people they're sticky to the touch and can sound squeaky when amplified. It's suggested to use some kind of lube or powder with these. The Gold Tone Microbass comes with their version of these, which they don't call thunderguts.

Silver Rumblers[​IMG]
    Somewhat a cross between pahoehoes and thunderguts. Higher tension and near immediate stability, but I find them just as sticky. They come stock on the Kala Rumbler, which is the budget ubass at $350.

Aquila makes their own ubass type instrument called the Shortbass. It's strung with "Red Thunder" strings. Very little is known about these strings but they're apparently an improvement over all the available options. So far they're not available for purchase anywhere.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Great thread idea.

I'll add one type of string:
    [​IMG]

The original Ashbory strings. Low tension, made of silicone. Very sticky, almost unusable without baby powder on the strings and/or your fingers.

Also prone to snapping in two if they get nicked or if there is a rough spot on the nut, tuning post or bridge saddle.

The fragility of these strings is why all Ashbory basses were fretless.

I have a Dearmond Ashbory. I dig the sound but hate the strings so much I never play it. I also have a fretted solid body Ubass, which I love and use frequently.
  4. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Does putting weed wackers on an upright for a while count? They were fun, but the E was too flabby sounding, so I took 'em back off.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mongo2

mongo2

I thought of the weed wackers/upright combo which is why I specified small since I think that is covered in the Double Bass section.

I had weed wackers on our DB but my son took it with him when he moved out of state. He prefers metallic strings on the DB so I have the weed wackers which I'll suppose I'll have to use for their original intended purpose...or buy another DB.
  7. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

I've had my fretless "hog" U-Bass for a month or so and I'm really happy with it.

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the upcoming Gold Tone solid body fretless, which is shown near the end of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvr7nOgvpfw

I'm hoping some black Pahoehoe strings will work on the Gold Tone. I do not like sticky strings.
  8. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

The solid body is beautiful. It woulda been nice if he actually played it, but what can ya do.
  9. Andrew B.

Andrew B. Supporting Member