THE SHORT SCALE BASS THREAD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by de la mocha, Feb 19, 2007.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

This thread is everything short scale!!! Show your short scale basses, tell us why you like short scale basses, tell us short scale bass stories, tell us about your short scale phobias, tell us when you stubbed your toe on a scale in the bathroom while you were short....wait a second...okay scratch that last one! :p
  2. Tony G

Tony G

Ok, so this one time I was in the bathroom many years ago when I was much shorter, and the scale was right out in the middle of the floor when.....oh, wait...I just saw you last sentence.
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Fender Squire Bronco, G&L MFD humbucker: Bam!
    [​IMG]
  4. iamchipsmith

iamchipsmith

ok well the people here will know about short scales so im gonna put this here. I basically know its a bad idea but need to know why, haha. Ok im thinking of buying an SX P/J and reshaping the body to be mustang/musicmaster-ish. Then I'd refinish it, find a short scale neck and have a mustang with a P/J set up. I might need to move the bridge too. Is this at all possible? What would it take?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spade2you

spade2you

I mostly play 35" scale basses, but have a couple cool little buggers.

[​IMG]
    This is perhaps one of my favorite Fender designs. Lots of available tones and some really smart designs. Besides, it's hard to resist a Fender with a matching headstock.......:D

[​IMG]
    Then there's this beast. Not only is it ligher than a feather, but it has sustain for days, along with deep and articulate tones. Without a doubt, I'll be ordering another one in the future.
  7. de la mocha

de la mocha

LOL!
  8. bhawk1

bhawk1

Got the first one, want the second one *badly*.
  9. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer

Just wait until CTbasses&birdsong sees this thread...
  10. policyvote

policyvote

Okay, spamming this place one more time with pics of my beloved Gretsch Thunderjet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's a true shorty @ 30.3" scale, but the body is chambered mahogany and the carved top is maple, and the neck is mahogany/ebony. With the handwound TV Jones pickups, the sound is bigger than anything I've ever heard.

I sold my previous one-and-only to go with this one. Why did I go short scale? Well, besides the sound and beauty of this particular instrument, it's simply more playable. Yeah, you can "get used" to 34" or 35", and the shoulder/wrist pain bigger basses often bring. And yeah, those long- and extra-long scale lengths have all the benefits of manly bragging rights. So, I think a lot of people turn away from short scales because they're percieved as either "girly", or "cheap"--I know I did for years. But the incredible sound of the Gretsch (and other great short-scales like Alembic, Birdsong, etc.) prove that there doesn't have to be a tradeoff in sound to enjoy a comfortable, playable instrument.

Peace
    policy
  11. A9X

A9X

12. A9X

A9X

Well said.
    Your Gretsch is awesome looking. I'd like to get my hands on one, one of these days to try, but they're very rare down here.
  13. CTbass&birdsong

CTbass&birdsong

My beloved Birdsongs !!! View attachment 51394 for playability..these are my primary basses...!!!!
  14. lug

lug

[​IMG]

Little Hamer Slammer I got for the kids. Sounds suprisingly good!
  15. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Looooove that bass

16. braun-jovi

braun-jovi

I'm calling my wife right now!

But honey, it's short scale...for the kids!
  17. AmazingGracePlayer

AmazingGracePlayer

See this is what I'm saying... lol, Ben you got a few new ones I see, looks nice :p
  18. CTbass&birdsong

CTbass&birdsong

Coming soon...Sadhana#13(bermuda Debbie-Maple piccolo bass), 5 string #2(leslie),mesquito #2 (viking)...all birdsongs in production...I cant wait!!!!:hyper: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  19. Steve'r

Steve'r

I have a 32" 6 string fretted D. Huff on the way.

Crazy? Probably! But I don't much care for long scales on anything other than fretlesses, (cause I do like the boomier, more upright-y sound you get with the extra 4 or so inches.)
  20. AJ Brown

AJ Brown Supporting Member

Here's the Mouse 30 (30-inch scale) that's been occupying a lot of my time. It debuts on its first gig on Thursday...

[​IMG]
  21. Steve'r

Steve'r

Finding a short scale neck that bolts into a Fender pocket isn't really very easy, especially if you want quality.

The rest of it sounds quite doable, though.