1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Shuttle 9 Effects Loop Issue

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bucephylus, Dec 7, 2013.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Just got in from a 3 set gig with the Big Band down at Tempe Marketplace.

Big train wreck for me in the first set. My Shuttle 9 started cutting in and out sporadically and totally losing output to the cab. The thing with the Big Band is its not like I can just tell them to stop until I sort things out. They keep going. NOT cool.

And, thank God I spend too much time on here, because I had heard Andy et al talking about the effects loop causing issues. So, I was ultimately able to jam my tuning cable in and out of the effects loop jacks and get everything back to normal to finish the gig.

But, it messed up a couple of tunes showtime.

I have been gigging this amp for four years, and it has been solid until tonight.

The thing is; I just can't have that happen randomly. Is the only long term solution to leave a jumper strap inserted into the effects loop to avoid this in the future?

I NEVER use effects. Maybe I can just wire those two jacks out of the circuit permanently? Anyone else have this issue and find a permanent fix? I hate surprises on the gig.
  2. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Usually, a shot of de-oxit into the jacks and running a plug in and out of them will clear this sort of thing up... If you're really worried about it, I'd just use a short RA to RA patchcord(like for pedalboards) between send and return - I would definitely do that rather than any "custom" rewiring work, as it would be much easier, quicker, cheaper - and wouldn't devalue the amp any...

...or, I'd just replace the jacks if I was really that worried about it acting up in the future - and this sort of thing can and does happen to ANY amp with an effects loop, btw...

- georgestrings
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 clean them out first, then leave a short cable plugged in. I do this with my Walkabout, and have never had any issues.
  4. bucephylus

Interesting. Thanks.

So, just annual PM issue? I never in all my playing gave it a second thought.
  5. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

6. bucephylus

Exactly. Just never thought I would need it.
  7. bobcruz

bobcruz

That, or annual cleaning with Deoxit, are the two solutions to the issue. Since it's hard (for me) to remember to clean jacks on an annual schedule, I just do it before an important gig.
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Since it is a low voltage/low current set of contacts microscopic corrosion (called fretting) happens. Regular cleaning every year or two will keep the bugs away.
  9. bucephylus

Well, lesson learned. The hard way, as usual.:meh:
  10. B-string

Just to be clear, any amp with a serial effects loop can suffer this problem :).
  11. bucephylus

Sure. But, until it actually happens to you, it is sort of theoretical.
  12. B-string

I'm glad you were a part of this community to help you through this. The number of amps I have seen with this and other strange concerns due to this is staggering. For those that came to me and others like me it was a cheap fast fix.
  13. bucephylus

So, thanks to all who responded. I have a can of Deoxit on the way; though since my temp fix running the plug in and out the problem has not reoccurred.

Question: what is the best way to perform the clean?
    a) Stop being stupid and just spray it in there
    b) Spray some on a Q-tip and run it in there a few times
    c) Spray on to a 1/4" plug and run that in there

Reason for asking is I used to have some contact cleaner Walter Woods had recommended for an amp I used to have for a different reason - to clean up the scratchy pots. It worked, but tended to leave a bit of residue around.

So, maybe a dumb question, but I want to get it right. Thanks:)
  14. B-string

Do all of these for the effects return jack.Unplug the amp. Spray a shot on a 1/4" plug and a QUICK shot in the effects return jack. Work the plug in and out of the jack several times. Wipe off the plug and with a shot on a Q-Tip, carefully insert into the jack to remove any corrosion broken loose. The shot of DeoxIT inside other jacks is not needed. DeoxIT will leave a very fine layer of lube behind to help extend jack life and detour corrosion.
    Let the amp "dry out" for 20 to 30 minutes before plugging back in and using.
  15. bucephylus

Thanks! Just what I was looking for. Much appreciated.:hyper:

Just noticed you only mentioned the Return Jack. is that the only one requiring the clean?
  16. bucephylus

If this procedure is standard for all amps with effects loop jacks, it would be good to post a sticky. No bass player should go through the on gig learning experience.
  17. B-string

Get-R-Done :). Q-Tips are wound in one direction so twist in your cleaned fingers so you can determine which twisting direction will keep the cotton tightly wound on the stick. Less chance of cotton being left behind that way.
  18. B-string

Seems at least 90% of people never even visit the stickies :bawl: :p

But yes it is standard for any serial effects loop/power amp in jack.
  19. bucephylus

Little update here.

Although I did clean the effects loop jacks, it turned out the issue was NOT in the amp at all!:help:

It turns out both of the Speakon jacks on the back of the speaker cab (Berg HD112) had just enough corrosion on them that they were intermittently going open circuit. Surprisingly both of them. After hitting those with the contact cleaner, everything has been great. Sheesh.

So, thanks for everyone's input; but, the issue was not the amp at all.
  20. B-string

Hm odd, speakons are self-cleaning when you twist to lock and unlock. If I were you I would unscrew the collars on your speakon cables and make sure the screws holding the wires have not loosened and in need of a snugging up. A little preventive measure goes a long way. :)