1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

SOLD "The Sisters" - Matching 1973 & 1974 Fender Precision & Jazz Basses - Oly White/Maple

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by thebrian, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I'm offering up for sale my matching, custom color 1973 Precision & 1974 Jazz Basses, which I affectionately refer to as "The Sisters". I recently bought one of my holy grail basses (a 1961 P) and now I need to sell a few basses that I never intended to.

Both of these basses are all original and great playing, great sounding instruments with no issues. I'm not necessarily selling them as a set (although that would be very cool), but I wanted to present them together, because hey, why not?...

1974 Fender Jazz Bass w/ OHSC - SOLD!
    Original Custom Color Olympic White/Bound Maple Neck & Pearl Blocks/Black Pickguard

Everything down to the last screw is 100% original, including both chrome covers and the thumbrest. The only "mod" the bass has is, the previous owner put black shielding paint in the P/U and control cavities to eliminate the hum/buzz of the electronics. It is a very minor mod, and the lack of buzzing from the pickups is well worth it IMO. No cracks, No repairs, No extra screw holes or routes, No issues.

The serial # and all the codes/stamps date to 1973/74...
    • Ser. #: 550XXX
    • Neck stamp: Not visible, but we know it's from '73 or '74 only because it would have had black blocks before that, and Fender went to 3-bolt necks by '75.
    • Pots codes: 137-7342 (tone) & 137-7405 (both vol. pots)
    • Pickup codes: 60674 & 80674
    • All solder joints look to be original and untouched.
    This bass has definitely not been sitting in a closet all it's life! But that's because it's an outstanding player, so it was gigged and loved very much for many years (before me)! The finish has yellowed from decades in smoky bars, there's finish checking all over it, and it has lots of dings and scratches, but it's all true road wear, and the bass is 100% structurally sound.

The neck is straight and feels incredible. The action is low with no dead notes, and the truss rod works good (in both directions). The truss rod adjustment nut is rusty/corroding so you might want to replace it at some point in the future, but that only costs a few dollars (and just keep the original one).

The previous owner must have played with lots of rings on his fingers because the neck finish is chipped in several spots on the edges by the binding (which does not bother me while playing, I don't even notice it). It also looks like some of the fret ends got a little banged up and the previous owner filed those ends back smooth, so you don't feel them when you slide your hand up and down the neck. The playability is awesome, it really is a very comfortable vintage neck. The frets are original and have lots of life left. The bass is also strung with TI flats.

The bass sounds fantastic, and it's lightweight too at 9 lbs exactly with the covers on. Fender just reissued this exact bass for the new American Vintage Series, but this is the real deal!

The original case is also included and in very good condition, and all latches/hinges function fine.

Click Here For All The Pics (33)

$3295 OBO Shipped (CONUS) - SOLD!
    Paypal, Bank Wire (preferred) or USPS Money Order Accepted.
    *I also take deposits and ship International, PM me for details.

1973 Fender Precision Bass w/ OHSC
    Original Custom Color Olympic White/Maple Neck/Black Pickguard SOLD!

This bass is all original except for the chrome pickup cover.. that's it. But the 2 screws for the cover are original - they were screwed into the holes when I bought the bass. The chrome bridge cover and the thumbrest are original, as well as all of the hardware and everything else. No cracks, No repairs, No extra screw holes or routes, No issues.

The serial # and all the codes/stamps date to 1973...
    • Ser. #: 501XXX
    • Neck stamp: 0103 4235
    • Pots codes: 137-7343 (both)
    • Original black bottom pickups (correct and common for '73-74 only).
    • All solder joints look to be original and untouched.
    Nice condition for its age. Lots of finish wear, but nothing is into the wood (no gouges or anything). The finish has yellowed a little over the years, but not as much as most from this era. I bought the bass from the original owner a few years ago and it's been my #1 P ever since. The original pickguard has the usual small break by the jack, but it's fully useable as is.

The neck is straight, the truss rod works perfectly, and is still flush with the butt of the neck. The frets are original and in very good shape with lots of life left. It plays beautifully, and the neck has a very comfortable "chunky" profile. The back of the neck is clean with only a few minor dings that you will not notice while playing. The nut measures 1 9/16". The action is nice and low, and no dead notes. Strung with TI flats.

Very lightweight at 8.7 lbs with the covers on! It's also one of thee best sounding P basses I've ever played.

The original case is also included and in very good condition, and all latches/hinges function fine.

Click Here For All The Pics (26)

$2495 OBO[/DEL] Shipped (CONUS) - SOLD!
    Paypal, Bank Wire (preferred) or USPS Money Order Accepted.
    *I also take deposits and ship International, PM me for details.

2. EduardoK

EduardoK Gold Supporting Member

Wow. 2 blonds are better than 1...:bag:
    Seriously, cool basses both of them.

3. akane3

akane3 Supporting Member

Those are so nice! Any interest in trading for my 76 Sunburst Jazz?

4. schmittuml

schmittuml

what would you do on a price for both??? PM me

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thebrian

Thanks! Yes 2 blonds are definitely better than 1!

I appreciate the offer, but I'm only selling these because I just bought an all original 1961 P and I need to replenish the bank account.

PM'd

7. Ron Clark

Ron Clark carpe diem Supporting Member

Olympic White x2 :eek: Must be difficult to let go of these beauties :crying:

8. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Firemelon
    Wow! These are going to sell fast.

9. thebrian

It's very difficult, they've been with me for a while now. I'll miss both of them a lot, but I got a once in a lifetime deal on the '61 P that I just couldn't pass up.. whether I could afford it or not! I would have regretted it for the rest of my life if I passed on it!

I hope so, I've definitely had a lot of nibbles, just no bites yet..

10. sneha1965

sneha1965

11. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Dear God.

Tears literally filled my eyes upon opening this thread. The sight of the two of these together is so very beautiful. I would literally trade my car for these and have to ride my bike twenty miles to and from work every day with no regrets.

GLWTS, I really hope they somehow stay together.

12. Squirefan01

Squirefan01 Supporting Member

I have a '74 Jazz the same color, that used to be Marcus Miller's bass. He sold a bunch of them for charity last year and I picked this one up through Rudy's Music in NYC. Lots of great mojo! GLWTS

13. thebrian

Thanks for the kind words guys!

14. Ron Clark

Ron Clark carpe diem Supporting Member

:eek: Well that is one temptation gone!

15. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

DROOL. Man those are some beautiful basses.

16. denton57

denton57 Supporting Member

Bump for the jazz.. P is coming to Arkansas :)

17. thebrian

Yup, just one temptation left!

Thanks!

Yes it is, enjoy!

18. tomydacat

tomydacat Supporting Member

ABSOLUTELY STUNNING WOW BUMP

19. Eskimo Spy

Eskimo Spy Supporting Member

Is it gone yet? I hope so, it needs to stop tempting me!

20. Eskimo Spy

Eskimo Spy Supporting Member

If the Jazz deal falls through, let me know.

21. thebrian

BOTH basses are officially SOLD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.