The Skywalker Paradigm

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by colcifer, Dec 3, 2012.

1. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

scroll scroll scroll holy crap scroll scroll scroll no wonder this guy doesn't have a job scroll scroll scroll.....
  3. CapnSev

CapnSev Supporting Member

4. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

5. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah Pleasantly plucky Supporting Member

Media:
  6. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight

What the what?
  7. Simo98

Simo98

8. 73jbass

73jbass Gold Supporting Member

Looks like someone had way too much free time on there hands.
  9. carlos840

carlos840

I found i very hard to read!Not written well, and the layout is a nightmare...
  10. Simo98

Simo98

Not me anymore. I think I just burned it all up..

Interesting read though, kind of difficult to understand or comprehend what tangent the writer is on in a lot of places, but he's made some cool interpretations.
  11. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

+1
  12. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

wish I had time to read all that. totally a fun read.
  13. Lemon Of Troy

Lemon Of Troy

In a strange way, it actually all makes perfect sense!
  14. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    I think the bottom line is that Luke Skywalker used the Force to cause the three "prequel" movies to suck, so that we would be more sympathetic to his cause.

It does explain Hayden Christensen and Jar-Jar.
  15. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

Nothing can explain Jar-Jar, nothing.
  16. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

So what exactly is this guy trying to do? Tell us Kenobi devised a plan to turn Luke into an assassin who'll hopefully kill Vader, and that Vader and Leia have been on each others' side since the beginning?
  17. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

I really don't know.
  18. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

I think it wants you to question who is actually Evil.

Vader:
    -Rescuing the princess
    -Not killing people/planets

Obi-Wan
    -Decided Uncle Owen & Aunt Beru's fate when Luke said he wouldn't leave because of them. He made that decision easy.

-Sure seems to know a lot about the Death Star, seeing as how he was a Hermit for 30 years.
  19. Simo98

Simo98

He points out that a lot of what we see in the films actually leads to the conclusion that the galactic empire are essentially the "Good guys" who rebelled against the republic and the Jedi and essentially liberated the galaxy, and that we are shown a very narrow minded and particular point of view which sympathises with the rebel alliance, alluding to the adage that "history is written by the victors".

Darth Vader is a hero, not a villain. He stood up against the republic and the Jedi and almost single-handedly brought them to their knees, destroying a tyrannical empire that had stood for thousands of years. In the original Starwars he isn't fighting the rebel alliance, but rather assisting and using them to fight Grand Moff Tarkin who has gone rogue with the largest super weapon ever constructed.

The Jedi, by contrast, are an antiquated hierarchy of rulers who seemed to govern the universe by their own whims, doing whatever they feel is "Right". It's also pointed out on many occasions that the Jedi tend to "Do business" which involves either killing people or using their reputation into manipulating them to do their bidding. As well as using their powers of hypnotic suggestion, what is supposedly referred to as the "Jedi Mind Trick". His view is that they are essentially a bunch of violent, power hungry, samurai brutes.

Imperial troops are shown on Tatooine a few times doing nothing particularly evil and just seem to be local law enforcement. Politely stopping traffic searching for some missing droids, bypassing a locked door, and showing up at the scene of a crime to investigate an old man chopping someones arm off. They patrol the streets of Tatooine without even loading their weapons, and they're also the only ones in the film to use the stun setting on their weapons.

It's a very interesting take. He never actually summarises exactly what his own view or thesis is, but strongly follows a couple of particular interpretations throughout, as well as pointing out a lot of other alternative interpretations and inconsistencies.
  20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Very well written - thanks!

I actually got to the same conclusion once I had gotten a little over halfway through it. I guess what I was really asking at first was 'where the heck is his thesis' :D

Oddly enough, I'm finding myself agreeing with him on a lot of things. It's crazy when you put the film into this perspective, but it works. Really well. I wonder if Lucas had intended this or not. Given the prequel trilogy I somewhat doubt it, but it'd be amazing if he did.