The sound of their voice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jan 30, 2014.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL A Hard Rockin Lover of GREENBURST Supporting Member

Media:
    We have all had the heartache of loosing a loved one, be it a friend or relative to our ultimate end, death. Before sounding recording became readily available, how long after your loved one died did you forget the sound of their voice? Sadly I can not recall the sound of a loved ones voice who died while I was a child under the age of ten, that was well over 20 years ago.
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I can still hear everyone who was ever important to me. I can smell things that were part of where they lived. I don't think 20 years is very long at all. I don't need recordings. They are just there. Must be a mental wiring thing.
  3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

When I lose someone I love or care about I don't cling to details. they quickly become a warm fuzzy glow that overtakes me when I think of them. Trying to remember everything about them keeps their death (and the heartbreak) too fresh for far too long. Sometimes when I see an airplane, my favorite uncle (who was a pilot) will manifest himself as a private little smile as I think about him, not how he looked or sounded, just a general feeling of joy and gratitude for having known him.

It's a personal coping mechanism which allows me to let them go.
  4. pflash4001

pflash4001

My mom passed away unexpectedly 2 weeks ago. I could have sworn I heard her voice call me "mijo" the other day at work. It shook me up badly. I miss her like mad. Damn. I'm crying even as I write this...
  5. ShredderMaximus

ShredderMaximus

My Grandma on my dads side was the sweetest little Filipino lady ever, but with her accent she had a very distinct way she would call my name. I can still hear her clear as day in my head. Actually she had funny pronunciations for most things. I'll never forget when my grandpa got a fax machine, and one day he came home to her telling him he got "f***," when she meant he got a "fax."
    I miss her to all hell, but those memories always make me smile.

PS.
    Sorry to hear that Flash. My mom is one of the greatest people I know, and just the thought of not having her breaks my heart. Stay strong man.
  6. Ironbar

Ironbar

For some reason I remember my parents' voices from when I was much younger rather than how they sounded at the end of their lives.
  7. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

I still remember my Grandmother's and Grandfather's voices and they died 30 and 38 years ago.

I can still remember what my cat's voice (each ones individual meow..) sounded like.
  8. Immigrant

Immigrant

I clearly remember Sister Consolata's voice (my fifth grade teacher at Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrow Home for the Rude) yelling "You horrid child! You horrid, horrid child!"

She be trippin'.
  9. 96tbird

96tbird Supporter Supporting Member

Didn't Edison's Talking Machine first retail in like 1900?

I have Cassette tapes :eek: with my Grandpas voice and he died in 1980 when I was 16! I also have some old reel to reel tapes of him from the sixties! What are you talking about before recorded speech? Lol
  10. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've never lost a friend and the only relative that's died that I cared about or miss is my grandfather. The odd thing about it though is he didn't speak English and I didn't speak Polish, and it didn't matter because he couldn't speak anyway. I forget exactly what happened, but it was done to him in a concentration camp long before I was born. All I remember is how he held my hand when we crossed the street to go to the park. How wrinkled and strong his hands were. He'd buy me ice cream and sit on the park bench while I played. We'd go to the supermarket together and watch TV and go for walks. All I know is I miss that old man and we never spoke a word to each other.
  11. nashvillebill

nashvillebill

My dad died almost 39 years ago, when I was 15. I can vaguely recall his voice, but not well. At one time I think we had a few seconds of his voice on a cassette or two but not anymore.

Veronica (my SO) died 2 years ago and I can still hear her voice in my head. I have heard her voice in my sleep a couple of times. I do have her voice on a few recordings but it still makes me cry to hear them.
  12. pflash4001

pflash4001

Thanks, Shredder. I went to bed thinking about this thread last night. I woke up crying a few times overnight. Her passing was completely unexpected, She had a heart attack and had never had a single cardiac issue before. In fact, she was about to get into the shower for a dr appt when it happened. We played a street festival last saturday. She had planned to be there to hear my brother and me play together again after almost 3 years of not having done so. We scrapped one of the songs on the song list and put in Hendrix's Little Wing for her. I just hope she enjoyed it from where she is. I miss her in ways I can't even begin to express with words. All I can say is don't ever, EVER, pass up a moment to tell those you love that you love them. I would never have thought that I would not have that opportunity again before this happened. Make sure you mend your fences guys. Yeah. It comes much sooner than you realize.
  13. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Hi Major. I was thinking about your question. I have can recall the voices of eight people I was close to that have died. I knew tham all as an adult.
    This morning I was talking to my wife about and old friend who died about 25 years ago and imitating his voice.
    I can't remember the voices of the people I knew as a child who died. One died when I was 18-years-old and I can't remember her voice.
  14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Every single one of importance, to the point of eery frustration. I did not lose many people that young but from 16-21 I saw a lot of death. I have very lucid dreams so I find my self regularly talking to dead and eventually questioning them as to why they are not dead and why we are talking...

I do not believe in the afterlife, I believe something in my brain sparks that day and I take it to bed, so I do not read into it too much.
  15. Phalex

Phalex Yeah, I've got the moves like Jagger. Supporting Member

My mother died in 1985, and my father died this past September. I can't really hear my fathers voice in my head any more at this point, but he would not have to tell me who he was were he to call me on the telephone.

Sadly, I don't think I'd have a clue if I were to hear my mothers voice without being told who she was.
  16. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I am fortunate enough that even at 35 (which is young but not young young) i have not known much death aside from my grandparents, none of which i was close to. Other than that i can't think of anyone. I don't like it in a way because i feel i'm at 35 not experienced yet in dealing with loss and i'm afraid how ill react when it comes. My mom, dad, or brother... if it had to happen, how would i deal. It frightens me.
  17. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Same