1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Soundgear club, part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

I have the same bass. Love it!
  4. El Raro

El Raro

I'm trying to find some info on the string spacing for the SRs, particularly the SR500, but I can't seem to find much. I know the necks are sinfully thin and fast, which I dig, but what worries me is whether the string spacing is too narrow as a result. I have pretty big hands with long finders and I'm the last thing I want is for me to have to squash my fingers to play the bass.

Could someone post up the specs for string spacing if possible so I could compare it to a Fender Jazz? I love the look and sound of the SR500 and I really want to jump on it but the neck is the only thing stopping me atm.
  5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

I think every SR has 16.5 mm spacing. Pretty tight spacing. I am almost certain the sr500 also has 16.5 mm spacing but I could be wrong.

A typical 4 string Jazz has 19mm spacing, if I remember correctly.
  6. El Raro

El Raro

Thanks, Epitaph. 2.5mm difference seems manageable actually. I was scared it was going to be a lot tighter. Still, overtime, I think I might really feel the difference.

I wasn't aware that all SRs had the same string spacing. If that's the case, I have a used SR300 at a local pawn shop I can play around with to see if it works for me.

Thanks a lot for the help!
  7. Herrick

Herrick

Love Soundgear body shapes!
  8. tojge

tojge

In this case, the accent is on the word "seems".

16.5 mm is pretty much as tight as it gets... the only bass with a narrower string spacing that comes to mind is, surprise, surprise, another Ibby, namely, Gerald Veasley Signature model, with a rather disconcerting 14 mm spec. He might like it, more power to him, I've tried one out, and found it almost unplayable.

Now, I'm not trying to scare you off, all I'm saying is, try before you buy, depending on what you're used to, 2.5 mm can make a helluva difference in feel and playability :)
  9. Solarmist

Solarmist 15 miles from Mt Rainier Supporting Member

SR5's have a 16.5mm spacing wheras the SR4's are 19mm.
  10. tojge

tojge

Yeah, my bad, since the infamous 16.5 mm spacing was talked about, I've automatically presumed he was going for a fiver, only now do I see he references the SR300 in the post :)
  11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Yahoo...part 2 of the soundgear club. I've always enjoyed playing the Ibanez soundgear basses. I currently own an Ibanez sr305 and I'm planning to purchase a different Ibanez soundgear bass. Hopefully I will buy one soon.
  12. El Raro

El Raro

Thanks for the extra replies, guys. I just got back from the pawn shop and I found the string spacing on the SR300 very manageable and easy to play. Really, I don't think I found much difference between that and my current Jazz. Neck profile is worlds apart but I find it much more comfortable to play than the Jazz.

If the SR500 is indeed the same, I think I might pull the trigger on it later this week.
  13. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

That's because 4 strings Ibbys have 19 mm spacing ;) The "tight string space" refers to their 5ers.

You will save yourself a lot of time and effort switching from a Fender Jazz neck to a SR Ibby. I've played one for years and I still remember what absolute bliss I felt the day I made the same switch ;)
  14. Solarmist

Solarmist 15 miles from Mt Rainier Supporting Member

^ Same for me switching from a G&L L2000.
  15. Eublet

Eublet

The 16.5 mm spacing is one of the main 3 reasons I love the SR's.
  16. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

Indeed. I don't slap. But I play fast lines (metal band, heh) up and down the neck - so tight string spacing actually works better for me.
  17. Staccato

Staccato Supporting Member

My SRX 4 string measures 19mm string spacing as well.
    Another satisfied customer! Check the fretboard grain...

Attached Files:

18. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

19. SantiagoGT15

SantiagoGT15

Disclosures:
    Praise & Worship Group Leader/Director
    Gonna stalk this thread a while, I'm currently working and saving up for a SR600 I'll get it around May or so, anything I should know about it? Or overall SR bassline?
  20. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

The 600 is a very good bass with a mellower warm tone and huge "wooly" bottom end. It's not a bass that stands out in the mix, but rather a good band sound filler. Other than that it's a typical SR: same jatoba/bubinga neck, same body shape & contour, and of course the same Bartolini MK electronics.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.