1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Soundgear Club part 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by john turner, Oct 7, 2013.

1. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Administrator

continued from here :

part 3
  2. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Also wanted to add that from what I understand, Nordstrand will work with you to make a custom sized pickup casing if they don't already offer it. I'm sure an upcharge would apply, but I don't know how much that might be. You would have to contact them for that info. :cool:
  3. StevieMac

StevieMac

In with my SR1005

[​IMG]
    Princedead likes this.
  4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

5. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

I wanted to ask you guys something - mainly for people who play SR300, SR500 and SR600 (and the 5 string versions of course).

I mostly play sitting down these days - not in a band at the moment so just play at home.

I find that resting my arm on the body of my SR600 gets uncomfortable due to the way the body comes to a kind of point around the edges (what I mean is, it's much thinner around the edges than where the pickups are etc). If I rest my arm there, my fingers go numb, I assume due to squashing a nerve.

Only other way to play it sitting is to lift my elbow so that my wrist is straight and my arm doesn't rest on the bass, but that makes my upper arm and shoulder ache like mad.

I sit with the bass on my right knee (I'm right handed) - have tried the classical guitar position, but can't reach the first frets properly that way.

I find the contoured body of a P or J much more comfortable. But, my SR600 just sounds like nothing else!

Does anyone else find this? If so, how did you get around it, besides just standing up to play? I don't want to do that, not comfortable for me.

Thanks
  6. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work Supporting Member

I know exactly what your talking about. I find that I can work around this by changing the angle of my right arm a little bit. I usually only have this issue when I've got pretty much the entire weight of my arm resting on the body which is a bad technique anyway because it causes me to have a really strong angle in my wrist, almost 90 degrees, so I just lift up my arm a little bit. This results in less force pushing my arm in the edge of the bass and gives my wrist a more natural angle. I think Scott Devine has a vid on youtube about this, could be wrong though.
  7. Technotitclan

Also wanted to post up pics of my hipshot ultralights since I could not find any pics of other sr's with then installed anywhere. These are mountains better than stock. I really hate the stock tuners.

Attached Files:

8. onefallinghope

onefallinghope

In on the new thread. :) Will post some more pics of my old as dirt SR800 TT when I get home from rehearsal.
  9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit Supporting Member

Beautiful! I love 5-strings with a 2-over/3-under headstock configuration. Nice! :bassist:
  10. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Gold Supporting Member

My fantastic, everything I ever wanted in a bass 2007 20th Anniversary SR Prestige made in Japan modded with Bartolini NTMB preamp, Nordstrand dual coils and dual 3 way coil taps. #11 of 350 built.

[​IMG]
  11. minimal

minimal Supporting Member

I really wish you hadn't posted those pics. Or more accurately my wallet wishes you hadn't posted those pics. In the near future, I foresee getting a set of those and a matching bridge for my SR505.
  12. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

Any one here have their SR 400's or below give a hum that goes away when touching the strings? My SR 375 hums like crazy when the strings are not being touched, and my tech seems to think it is ok. Here is the message I got from him tonight.

"I looked at the bass. Hum goes away when touching strings. This means that circuit, bridge, & strings are grounded properly. The cavity is shielded and all the wiring look fine. All the frets are level but I adjusted the truss rod to get rid of fret board buzz. I also smoothed the fret ends, they were pretty sharp. You can pick up the guitar tomorrow if you like."

I also posted in the electronics forum to see if there is any help there
  13. onefallinghope

onefallinghope

Hum when not touching the strings is totally normal.
  14. Technotitclan

It needs to be rewired. I couldn't tell you where the problem is without looking at it but more than likely the issue is a wire or connection that looks fine but is not performing right. IMO hum of any kind is unacceptable, none of my bases hum ever. I'd also stop using that tech if he thinks its acceptable. That's just me though.
  15. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

I'm having the same issue and can add a little info since I'm researching the same problem.

First, my house has no ground wire. Period. So I know that's an issue, but what puzzles me is that only certain basses make that sound - and both of them are passive (a Peavey and a Fender). Even stranger - the Peavey P bass didn't make that sound until I upgraded the pickup to a Seymour Duncan. Both pickups were passive so that doesn't clear anything up.

The next step for both of us is to take the bass to a different location and see if it has the same result. This will help isolate if it's the place or the bass. Then maybe post info where electronics people are more likely to see it and offer some advice.
  16. Technotitclan

BWHAHAHA!!! The tuners+bridge combo is gonna really set you back. I was going to get a bridge since know that all the other hardware has been replaced its the only thing that's still Cosmo black. But I remember seeing the price and thinking its really not that important. I only justified the ultralights because one of the stock tuners looked kinda broken. I discovered that the tuner in question was just poorly installed like I thought it was but I already had the Hipshot's so I wasn't going back.
  17. Technotitclan

I've found active preamps will suck up some ground related noise. I practice pretty frequently in my car using cigar lighter power converter and a Fender combo amp and it makes lots of noice because there is no true ground. when running my bass passive (bypass eq via a push/pull) it has lots of noise, when active (bart NTMB) the noise is cut in half.
  18. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Gold Supporting Member

Passive basses will ALWAYS hum. It's the nature of single coils. Personally, I have all active basses with soapbar pickups and all my basses are silent. To me active is where it's at, but I'm in the minority.
  19. Technotitclan

I don't entirely agree. Single coil pups are much much more inclined to hum but not guaranteed. I have some singles that don't hum.

Also Single coil and passive are not the same thing.
  20. Strat Hater

Strat Hater

***UPDATE***

He found a bad pot on the preamp.

Sooooo...only to wait from 1 week to 10 years for the pot to arrive:crying::rollno::bawl: