1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"The Steam Locomotive"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SolarMan, Oct 21, 2013.

1. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Cool documentary if you are into locomotives (Featuring the Hudson Series)

2. Immigrant

Immigrant Supporting Member

I love me some steam locomotives. Thanks for posting. My grandpa was an engineer and spent most of his career in a steam engine. I recently received a DVD from a family member that included a movie reel shot after WWII called "The Freedom Train", about a train that crossed the country loading up donations for war-torn Euro countries. He drove a leg of the trip and made it into the newsreel.

Awesome.
  3. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    The New York Central (4-6-4 wheel arrangement) Hudson was an incredibile locomotive, used on the NYC's premier passenger train the 20th Century Limited between Chicago and New york it was easily capable of speeds in excess of 100mph with a train in excess of 1000 trailing tons. On jointed 39 foot lengths of rail, the railroad spent a great deal of money on it's physical plant to ensure a smooth ride, amazingly it's 1930's technology.

A number of the Hudsons were streamlined for service on the 20th Century Limited, noted Industrial Designer Henry Dreyfuss was employed by the NYC to create a new image for the premeir train. As the pics show, the traditional steam engine is largely gone, replaced with art deco elements - check out the streamlined casing, 84" Scullin disc driving wheels, and sleek tender. Two-tone gray paint means this isn't your Great Grandpa's steam engine!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. surgay

surgay

Sorry. I did like trains a long time ago. Had a HUGE train layout when I was 10. My dad worked for the RR way back when. Do you know what killed trains for me. Thomas the train. My grandson made me watch that so many times, I cringe at the mere mention of trains. I'm going to hide. :help:
  5. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

Great video - thanks.
  6. bassteban

bassteban

Dude, it's Thomas the Tank Engine, and the stories are fabulous(many of the earlier videos are fairly faithful to the originals- good ones were narrated by Ringo Starr and George Carlin!) Later stuff, that was not written by the Rev. W. Awdry are by and large CRAP, but were talking apples and CRAP here.

On topic, steam locomotives are effing unreal
  7. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

Thanks for the info on the streamlined Hudsons. Those wheels are amazing - Pics of people standing next to those discs really puts the size into perspective.
  8. surgay

surgay

I agree, and we had the older ones. I winced when I first saw George Carlin's name. I don't know if you have grandkids, but they can watch the same thing about a hundred times and then watch it again. I would not trade that time I spent with him for anything but have absolutely no desire to watch more trains. Sorry ymmv.
    :p:)