1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The story behind I Want To Hold Your Hand (it's been 50 years!)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Richland123, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Richland123

Richland123

2. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I was 11 ears old in 63 when Carroll James first played the Beatles on WWDC am radio in the Wash. DC area. While there was some pretty good music to be had from some of the girl groups and a few rockin instrumentals , the music scene was pretty bland at the time. (Think Bobby Vinton , Bobbby Rydell , Bobby Vee ,and a host of other milquetoast performers that were being rammed down our throats by the music industry suits that were still ticked off about the escapades of Chuck Berry , Jerry Lee Lewis, and the deaths of Buddy Holly and Richie Valens. I remember thinking "wow , this is some good stuff." And you know what? It was.
    The rest is history. In short order The Dave Clark 5 , The Rolling Stones , The Animals and The Kinks followed. Within two years me and every other kid that could get his hands on a guitar had one and for years after , it was this type of music that inspired all the other young rockers that followed. While it was Elvis , Carl Perkins , Jerry lee , Buddy Holly that broke down the doors to rock and roll , it was The Beatles and the rest of the British Invasion that got kids everywhere to play guitars. I'm still playing and I thank you all.

3. elgecko

elgecko

I only heard the Beatles' German stuff a few years ago and it freaked me out. I was on a road trip and my passenger's iPod spit it out a whole album of it. I thought to my self "German covers of the Beatles...neat...wait, that kind of sounds like the Beatles...hey, that IS the Beatles!"

4. ZenG

ZenG

Yes ...I know what you mean about the "British Invasion"

Right at that time you realized there was a rock 'n' roll Tsunami coming and no-one was going to stop it.

First time I heard the opening riff of "Satisfaction" (Rolling Stones) the hairs on the back of my neck stood up....

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Disclosures:
    Too many to list.
    A WHOLE album? I think not.

There are TWO 'official' songs that the Beatles, reluctantly, sang German lyrics to - I Want to Hold You Hand and She Loves You. The vocals were recorded over the original music track used for the English versions.

There is supposedly a "German" version of the song Get Back that was done during the Let it Be (Get Back) film shoot. It's supposed to be included when(ever) the DVD is released.

There are some German lyric versions on the Tony Sheridan album that the Beatles played on (with Pete Best on drums, before Ringo), that was recorded in 1961. They might've contributed some background vocals - but no lead vocals in German. They called themselves the Beat Brothers on this record.

7. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

If I am not mistaken ,The Beatles first American album release was "Meet The Beatles."(I had a copy BTW) It was pretty much the same album as their second British release which was titled "With The Beatles." I don't know about the British release but the American release contained the German version of "I Want To Hold Your Hand." It was the last cut on the album.

8. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

Disclosures:
    Too many to list.
    You are thinking of the 3rd Capitol release entitled "Something New". This album is really their 5th U.S. album, as "A Hard Day's Night", their 4th U.S. album, was released about 3 weeks earlier on the United Artists label - UA controlled the songs used in the film.

"Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand" is the German-language version of "I Want to Hold Your Hand", that is the last selection on "Something New".

9. ZenG

ZenG

The way I remember it back then is:-

The first Beatle song to get any constant airplay was "From Me To You"

It was a background obscure offering and I don't think too many people paid attention to it....but it got a lot of play.....

I remember hearing it frequently but never really clueing in that it meant anything because the Beatles weren't really known here much at the time....