1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Switch-Hitters Club

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Silver Blues, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

All right, so I've around TB a little while, thought I'd take a crack at starting a club. :bag: This one is for those guys and gals who play and enjoy both bass and guitar. If you own both, play both on a relatively regular basis, gig playing both at some point, and/or any other activity that involves you playing both instruments (and maybe a bit of feeling sorry for those that get called 'guitards' :D) this is your club! I'll hand out numbers if people like.

Post your stories, pics, whatever you like so long as it fits the above.

Lets see if this doesn't fall apart! LOL

I'll be #1, I suppose... play a Trans Orange Hanson Firenze T-90, best guitar I've ever played. I started on guitar but then saw the light of bass not too long ago, haven't lost my hankering for the old six shooter though. Her name is Annabel :p

--Silvie

2. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

I think this club exists somewhere else with a different name... I've been a switch hitter for years but when it comes to bands and gigging I prefer bass. I love playing guitar solo live....but I usually play acoustic through my bass amp. Don't have much guitar gear.

3. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

I did a search, closest thing I could find was the "I started on guitar" club, which this isn't necessarily. Correct me if I'm wrong. You want a number?

--Silvie

4. Profania_bass

Profania_bass Profanity Fish.

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Spector basses, Winspear Picks, Spector Formula 603 strings
    Count me in, I play Jackson guitars exclusively, got a DK2 with a flame inlay fretboard and a KElly KE3 with Emg pickups. Last band i auditioned for was with guitar, but I went to bass because I love bass more :)

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Biggbass

Biggbass Supporting Member

I am a switch hitter. Bass, Guitar, & Banjo...and have played each for close to 40 yrs. Currently I play bass in an Americana/Celtic band, guitar in a Classic Rock band, and just came off of a 7 year run as banjo player in a Newgrass band.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I think there's a video series titled "Switch Hitters"....... It has nothing to do with guitars, and now thanks to this thread.........

Excuse me.

8. NickLomango

NickLomango

Count me in... I am in two bands: bass on one and lead singer & guitar on the other (actually the only guitarist, we are a three piece psicodelic-grunge band). I play a Roger Waters Bass and a beautiful 2012 American Std Strat. Both black & maple!!!

9. Illini10

Illini10 Supporting Member

I started on guitar but saw the light and converted to bass, by edict and necessity, to play in the band I'm in. I've posted this elsewhere but I have a Fender FSR Standard Jazz Bass (natural finish with a tortoiseshell pickguard) and a Fender Highway One Stratocaster (red with a black pickguard). . . and an old, beat-up, Epiphone PR-200 acoustic guitar (black).

10. nutso42

nutso42

Yup! I play bass in one band, but have dabbled on the side as both lead guitarist and pianist in other endeavors, none of which have ever really lasted longer than 1 gig....

...something tells me I may not be very good.
    :bag:

Anyway, number?

11. HereIGoAgain

HereIGoAgain

Yes, the "I started on guitar" club is still around. :D I still play both guitar and bass.

My guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Joe Bonamassa. I also have an Ovation Celebrity acoustic.

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I can get pretty guitarded at times

[​IMG]

13. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

NUMBERS

2 - Profania_bass
    3 - Biggbass
    4 - NickLomango
    5 - Illini10
    6 - nutso42
    7 - HereIGoAgain
    8 - jive1

--Silvie

14. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

It looks like it's attacking you and you're trying to get it to stop biting your neck!

15. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

I've worked playing acoustic guitar but never electric.

In my current band the (electric) guitar player and I trade instruments a couple of times a night, sometimes in the middle of a song. We started doing it just for fun, but it turns out that it makes a huge impression with the audience.

16. jive1

Media:
    Disclosures:
    It was trying to get revenge for all the abuse I was giving it earlier.

17. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

What kind of guitar is that? The back looks similar to my G&L Comanche blueburst.

18. jive1

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Close, it's a G&L S-500 in Blueburst.

It's loaded with Lace Chrome Domes, and wired with a 21 way switching config.

19. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Wow. What kind of tones do you get out of that monstrosity?

--Silvie

20. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Doea switching to keyboard counts?

21. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

Um... not really, but more power to you :D

--Silvie

Oh, and 9 - marmadaddy