1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

THE SYNTH BASS THREAD

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ERIC31, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ERIC31

ERIC31

I did a search before starting this but didn't find any threads specifically on this subject.

Ok now before you all cry "off with the infidels head!" :bag: let me explain myself.

I've recently acquired an M-Audio Venom synthesizer with the main goal of developing some synth bass skills to go along with my bass guitar skills. It's very programmable and has some really nice bass patches already onboard. I'm no purist and whatever makes bass noises is ok by me. I'm very much into 80's music and there is a lot of synth bass especially in the new wave genre, not to mention soul/r&b from that era.

I've been having fun with this. Some of my influences in this are Gerald V. Casale from Devo, Patrick O'Hearn from Missing Persons, Kate from The B-52's and lots of synthpop.

Anyone else into this besides me? What synths do you use? :D

[​IMG]

2. BassTapp

BassTapp

If I had the funds I would be! :D

3. Apolicious

Apolicious

and how are you enjoying those thirty pieces of silver?

4. ERIC31

ERIC31

I got this synth for $200 shipped off eBay! You don't have to go broke to get going.:D

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LanOsb133

LanOsb133

I use my bass into my Microkorg every now and again. Mainly just because I am more comfortable with playing a fretboard than keys.

This is currently the onyl picture I have of my microkorg
    [​IMG]

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

I have the M-Audio Venom and I use it as a controller for my Trilian patches in Mainstage! 3 years strong.

8. fettbass

fettbass

I use a Roland Juno 60 and Dave smith mopho x4!!

9. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I'm using a Roland Gaia for probably 40% of my current gig (hip-hop/r&b/dance stuff). I'm thinking of getting a second keyboard of some kind to fill in the gaps, while playing bass on the Gaia.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yes, I got into synths a few years ago- Moog Little Phatty, DSI Mono Evolver kb, Waldorf Blofeld kb, and an Alesis Fusion 6HD synth workstation. My bass chops have suffered, but I'm becoming a decent keyboardist.

11. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

I used to run the new Taurus bass pedals but they were a pain for such a novel item so I got rid of them. Still have a Minimoog Voyager though.

12. Morgan Koren

Morgan Koren

13. BassAgent

BassAgent

A few days ago, after some test runs on Bass Stations, Minibrutes and some other stuff, I've decided to go and save for this:
    [​IMG]

14. ERIC31

ERIC31

Nice to see others doing this. I don't have any formal keyboard/piano training so I've just been playing along to MP3s and picking up tips from various how-to-play videos on YouTube. Any other tips from you more experienced players?

15. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

I always wanted bass guitar to be able to do synth bass, but they are very distinctive instruments in reality. I do some software synth stuff for recordings nowadays. It's a good tool to have in your kit.

16. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

I have a Yamaha PSR-185 keyboard that includes a bass section (including synth bass). I fool around on it once in a while, but what I would really like is a synthesizer pedal that I can hook my bass up to.

17. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Cool thread. It's only a matter of time before I purchase a synth. Until then, it'll be the fuzz > filter > octave type stuff for me.

18. NicJimBass

NicJimBass The Kirk Hammett of bass guitar! Supporting Member

I tried going this route, through pedals, mainly, but found that if I truly wanted synth tones I would either have to shell out big bucks for a dedicated synth processor like what Roland makes, or just bite the bullet and get an actual synth. It takes a bit of practice, but isn't the hardest thing I've learned to do. It's actually really fun!

19. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Gold Supporting Member

I have a Roland Gaia as well. Lots of fun for tweaking and big fat sounds. Also an old JV-2080. My first and favorite is the GR-33b. Hard to control sometimes but it has the best organic tones of them all and I still record with it for certain sounds as the envelope, being built from a plucked string, is quite different than one from a trigger.

20. coughingskunk

coughingskunk

Used to use a microkorg, then wanted full size keys and essentially traded straight up for the Korg R3. Pretty much as soon as that happened I got a keys player that could actually play a synth so now he uses it.

21. thiocyclist

thiocyclist

I honestly think we (bassists) are misguided to want to make a bass guitar sound like a synth or vice-versa. Part of what makes these instruments sound like they do is not only the built-in ADSR differences but also the way we interact with the strings or keys... A lot of bass lines played on synth "feel" different and people end up coming up with different things on a keyboard than they would have with strings. Also remember the way keys are all lined out in half steps and on a bass we have another layer of interval thinking that shapes the intervals we prefer. When I solo on the keyboard, I get different ideas and I really like them. It is liberating. They are different instruments. This is a good thing. Besides isn't it great to know a little keyboard? Makes you a lot more versatile.