The TalkBass G.A.S. Test!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soxhats, Dec 22, 2013.

1. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Fun on a Sunday morning. (I'll disclose my score at some point. It's rather shocking. Intervention, anybody?)

----------

Do you spend more than 15 minutes a day gazing at the TalkBass classifieds? (5 points) If you spend more than 30 minutes a day on the TalkBass classifieds, add 5 points. If you spend more than an hour a day staring at TalkBass, eBay, Craigslist and online vendor sites, add another 5 points.

Have you ever publicly praised one of your basses as “a definite keeper” or said “this baby will be with me till I croak” and within a year put the bass up for sale strictly to buy another bass? (10 points)

Are you familiar with the current inventories of an online bass store? (5 points)

Are you familiar with the current inventories of three or more online bass stores? (10 points)

Have you ever decided you *must* have a particular bass model without ever having played that model? (5 points)

Have you ever hidden a bass under a bed? (5 points)

Have you ever taken delivery of a bass from the delivery person and scurried with the large, rectangular box to a private place before your significant other could notice? (5 points)

Have you ever sold a bass strictly for the purpose of buying a new bass and later missed it? (5 points)

Have you ever bought a bass, sold it, and then bought it back? (5 points)

Have you ever bought a bass, sold it, bought it back, sold it and bought it back again? (10 points)

Do you think about basses before falling asleep at least twice a week? (10 points)

Have you ever been forced to cut back on other, more important expenses due to bass gear purchases? (10 points)

Do you find yourself becoming infatuated with bass colors – e.g. seafoam green lust or red fever? (5 points)

Have you ever bought a model you’ve never owned before, say a Music Man StingRay, realized you’re not a StingRay person, sold the StingRay… and then later bought another? (10 points)

Do you obsess over newfound “flaws” in your once-perfect bass? (5 points)

Do you find yourself in a pattern of contemplating a new amp or cabinet purchase after a bass purchase and then a new bass purchase after an amp or cabinet purchase? (10 points)

Have you ever taken delivery of a great bass, played it a while and then returned to the classifieds to look at more great basses? (10 points)

----------

If you scored 10-25 points, you may have light to moderate G.A.S. If you scored 25-50 points, you have serious G.A.S. If you scored over 50 points, you could fill the tank of a ’73 Buick with your G.A.S.

2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

And you didn't even talk about effects pedals! :help:;)

3. kcole4001

kcole4001

4. verycoolname

verycoolname

I scored 50 points... :help:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

Aw crap......

7. mrb327

mrb327 Supporting Member

Have you ever publicly praised one of your basses as “a definite keeper” or said “this baby will be with me till I croak” and within a year put the bass up for sale strictly to buy another bass? (10 points)

Does this count multiply or just once a year?

55 for single offense
    75 if thats a multiplier.

8. mongo2

mongo2

9. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

5 - I check the Swami's page every month or two.

10. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

Media:
    110 here...

I need help.

Hi, I'm Fritz, and I have GAS...

11. Guinness20

Guinness20

50 - not too bad (in my eyes anywho).

12. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

50. What does GAS stand for?

13. MD

MD

5 points, by the book.

14. gurensan

gurensan

I sold my keeper 4 years later - 3 pts.

I sold a bass and WANT to buy it back, should I ever find it again: 3 pts.

so.. I guess 6 pts, every one of which is suspect. I want to build a matching pair of Awesome and put Fender-ish "Telebastard bass" decals on them both, but that doesn't even have a modifiable example in the list.

15. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

I have G.A.S. and I know it without taking the quiz. Do I get bonus points? :D

16. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

55......it beats being a crackhead......

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Have you ever publicly praised one of your basses as “a definite keeper” or said “this baby will be with me till I croak” and within a year put the bass up for sale strictly to buy another bass? (10 points) Oh hell Yes!

Are you familiar with the current inventories of an online bass store? (5 points) nope

Are you familiar with the current inventories of three or more online bass stores? (10 points) nope

Have you ever decided you *must* have a particular bass model without ever having played that model? (5 points) Yes

Have you ever hidden a bass under a bed? (5 points) Yes

Have you ever taken delivery of a bass from the delivery person and scurried with the large, rectangular box to a private place before your significant other could notice? (5 points) No

Have you ever sold a bass strictly for the purpose of buying a new bass and later missed it? (5 points) Yes

Have you ever bought a bass, sold it, and then bought it back? (5 points) More than once

Have you ever bought a bass, sold it, bought it back, sold it and bought it back again? (10 points)No, But I'd like to.

Do you think about basses before falling asleep at least twice a week? (10 points) Not Really

Have you ever been forced to cut back on other, more important expenses due to bass gear purchases? (10 points) Not really

Do you find yourself becoming infatuated with bass colors – e.g. seafoam green lust or red fever? (5 points) Yep

Have you ever bought a model you’ve never owned before, say a Music Man StingRay, realized you’re not a StingRay person, sold the StingRay… and then later bought another? (10 points) Yes

Do you obsess over newfound “flaws” in your once-perfect bass? (5 points) Not really

Do you find yourself in a pattern of contemplating a new amp or cabinet purchase after a bass purchase and then a new bass purchase after an amp or cabinet purchase? (10 points) No

Have you ever taken delivery of a great bass, played it a while and they returned to the classifieds to look at more great basses ? (10 points) Yes

----------

50 points

18. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

I 'm beyond gas - I think I have irritable bowel syndrome. (IBS)

19. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

It's irritable BASS syndrome. Happens when you have threatening thoughts about acquiring new gear.

20. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

G A S = gear aquisition syndrome. I scratched my head over that one for a couple of months lol

21. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    EXACTLY! This should be a "insert name of gear here" type thing..