1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

the Talkbass OT Vegetable Garden Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lonesomedave, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

well, it's that time of year...almost time to put in the garden

this year i am doing something that i have not done since college...i am putting in a vegetable garden in raised beds.

and not just raised beds...i have bought 12 of those big plastic bins from Wallymart and i bought 4 cubic yards of absolutely great garden soil and i am putting my garden in those.

i am almost ready...have got the soil in the bins (after putting holes in the bottom for drainage) and i have put them in front of my house...with a great trellis for my tomatoes and i predict a bumper harvest

anybody with their own garden or experience or thoughts, please chime in

i have a question to kick this thread off...i am going to grow some melons, and i am not sure how you tell when a melon is ripe for picking...i have been told that you must let a melon stay on the vine until it is ready, because they do not ripen anymore after they are picked, nor do they develop any more sweetness

is this true? any thoughts or tips greatly appreciated...about my melon question or anything else garden related

[​IMG]

2. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I plan on planting tomatoes and peppers. I have a small balcony that is in direct sunlight for the afternoon, so it could be interesting. Might have to rig up some shade.

lowsound

3. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

I"m still figuring out how and what I want to plant. I may look into your plastic bin idea. I also have an idea using pallets and landscaping fabric.

I'm thinking sweet corn, tomatoes, peppers, carrots, green beans, and broccoli.

Garden Pictures would be appreciated.

4. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Shade? Nope- they both like full sun and for peppers, the hotter, the better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

in my experience...absolutely true....go for it...and trellis the tomatoes so you get the most bang for your buck

[​IMG]

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    We have a 12x12 raised bed in our backyard. The renters did nothing to care for it, and let it get overgrown the two years we were gone, among other parts of the yard. It looks like I'll be spending more time getting my yard back in shape this spring/summer, so won't have time for our own garden. I'll have to settle for the Aerogarden and a few things we grow in pots on the porch.

-Mike

8. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

I'm going with zucchini, strawberry, blackberry, lettuce, kale, tomatoes, jalapenos, beets and squash. I have (3) 4x4 raised beds in the front, (1) 4 x 20 and (1) 5 x 14 foot planting areas along with 4 huge pots. I'm going gonzo this year and heading out for compost today.

9. edpal

edpal Banned

Media:
    Albums:
    Cukes, peppers, onions, tomatoes,squash (summer & winter types), peas, radishes(for the greens),Brussels sprouts, tomatillos. And all the perennial stuff: asparagus, artichokes of Jeruselum (sunchokes), strawberries, gooseberries and Asian pears. The garden is a little over 1000 sq. ft. and none of the perennial stuff is in that space.
    Only picture I could find...garden start
    [​IMG]

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

4' x 12' raised bed - tomatoes (3), tomatillos (2), peas, romaine lettuce (6), basil, parsley, garlic, scallions, and serrano peppers. I have spots for a couple more small things, but I'm not sure what to do yet. I'm also tossing around building another (smaller) bed for zucchini.
    [​IMG]

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe Blueszilla will chime in with pics of his farm.

-Mike

12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Best description I've seen of the "thump test" for watermelon.

http://www.veggiegardeningtips.com/harvesting-ripe-watermelons/

Oh and BTW, cantaloupe and honeydew will continue to ripen after picking.

Last of all, don't let your melons lay on bare ground or grass, put some pine straw or hay under the vines so air can get under the melons.

13. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Hey Mike, we are starting, here is a pic of the seedbed, tomatoes and green chile. This is about 3 weeks since planting seed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Blueszilla

Here I am trying my hand at doing a few rows to get our first water of the year in the field. We used the disc after this to condition the soil (after adding fertilizer and other organics).

[​IMG]

15. Blueszilla

Just for fun, here is a pic from last fall right as the picking season is ending. I know there are lots of beautiful places to live, and for me, this is one of them. Normally you can see the mountains east of town, but it was fixin' to rain.

[​IMG]

16. Lonesomedave

Lonesomedave

ok...a little update

got half of my tomato plants in (8) and will do the other hald when i decide what tomatoes i want to plant

got 3 containers of bush beans planted

got 1 container of japanese cucumbers

got my containers ready and have ordered 45 asparagus crowns

watered all real good...the asparagus should be here within a week or so...got 3 different melon seeds ordered

so far so good

[​IMG]