The tension of the strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by cousinofmurloc, Mar 22, 2014.

1. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

So I've been playing for about 3 months and just got a fresh pair of strings. Ernie Ball Super Slinky. My dad went with me and he's a guitarist. He kind of pushed me towards buying those strings thinking that he knows everything. Later that day he helped me string it, he thinks he knows everything and told me to cut off the ends of the strings or I will be tightening forever. Then came the tuning, I obviously can tune but my dad really wants to be involved so he helped yet again. We used an electronic tuner, everything is in tune but the strings are very loose and I can pull them together very easy, it also buzzes and clanks a lot. Should I not cut off the ends next time? Are Ernie Ball strings just ******? How tight should the strings be with the standard 45-100 gauge? String recommendations? Might I add that my old strings were about 3 years old and mostly untouched until I started playing 3 months ago. Thanks!

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

What are they tuned to?

3. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

Standard EADG

4. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tazz

Tazz

Three loops around the tuning post is about right. Enough for a sufficient break angle over the nut and not too much to cause the windings to slip over themselves. Usually there's a little excess to be cut off in my experience. Could be that the new strings have less tension than the old set so the bass might need a quick set up. Truss rod, action etc. The string tension can vary between brand even with strings of the same gauge.

7. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

Thanks, I'll cut off less next time I only have about 2 loops. I'm gonna retune it everyday and see if it changes.

8. Gorn Captain

I think there's a miscommunication here. They shouldn't be as loose as you describe. They're going significantly flat every day? All new bass strings will slowly go flat at first, but not by much.

....unless I'm missing something.

9. esa372

esa372

It sounds to me like the strings are tuned an octave down...

10. Gorn Captain

That's what I was thinking, but would a tuner even pick that up?

And how could regular gauge strings get anywhere close to producing any kind of pitch tuned that low? Assuming they're somewhere around 45-105.

11. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

These links may help you out:

Online Tuner That Plays Correct Pitch for Tuning Bass

12. esa372

esa372

I just tried it with my Korg DTR-1, and I could easily tune the A, D, and G strings an octave down. The tuner wouldn't go down that low on the E string, however (bottomed out at F#)... but the OP may have a tuner that can. [​IMG]

13. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

If he had a set of 50-105's on there before, the new slinky's might feel pretty loose in comparison. They're not the stiffest string out there. Also, OP could try loosening the truss rod a 1/4 turn and see if the rattling gets any better. Less tension on the neck - less forward bow - more potential for the strings to bounce off the frets.

14. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

NO -- stay with three. More stability.

15. cousinofmurloc

cousinofmurloc

Thanks guys it just needed to be retuned a couple of times they're working great now, much obliged.

16. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off