The TPP (Trans-Pacific Partmership) Trade Agreement

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Dec 20, 2013.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

*if too political then please delete*

I'm just curious if anyone has heard about this or, better yet, has a good enough understanding of it to explain what all it entails. It seems to have been flying under the radar lately even though it will greatly affect life in the US.
  2. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

All I know is that there are something like 400 corporations involved, everyone involved was forced to sign a non-disclosure agreement, and Obama is fast tracking it though congress. Not good, IMO. But since this post has mentioned Obama, I'm assuming this thread with get political real quick. :meh:
  3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

4. blastoff99

blastoff99

Wow, this has been up for five hours and only two (now three) replies?

Either it really is secret, or nobody wants to touch this with a ten-foot pole.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

I only first heard about it maybe a day or two ago. It definitely was news to me, so I'm wondering if this is news for anyone else. I honestly don't want this to turn political; I just want to find out if most people have been in the dark about this like I was.
  7. Eric Perry

Eric Perry

Read about it earlier. Scary, SCARY stuff.
  8. matante

matante

If its like NAFTA, it will only apply to big corporations, not small businesses. So a guy in Hong Kong doing business with a guy in San Francisco won't see any benefits.

To me, the biggest outward effect of NAFTA has been the Americanization of Mexico. Going to Mexico used to be like going to another planet, but now you see Walmart, Office Depot, Best Buy, etc... all over the place. The Mexican government used to keep those companies out but NAFTA opened the door to them.

I would expect this new trade agreement to be similar. The big companies colluding to squeeze out the little guy.