1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Trammps - Disco Inferno?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Misterwogan, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Does anyone know on what C root note the original bassist played this song?

3rd fret on the A string or 8th on the E?

Did he play a Jazz or a P-Bass?
  2. JimK

JimK

...someone here has posted a pretty accurate transcription/tab-
    Looks/sounds like most of the tune was done within the 1st five frets..."C" would be on the A-string (octave/chromatic climb would employ the open A-string)...anyway, that's how I used to play it back in its day.

And, IIRC, sounds like a Jazz.
  3. Misterwogan

Misterwogan

Thanks. Yes, I agree with all of that. It sounds way too boomy on my Jazz at the 8th, much funkier on the 3rd. Then there's the question of where to play the Eb and the F - on the second string or 3rd and 2nd - again I'm favouring keeping it all on the lower frets.
  4. JimK

JimK

...I play the Eb & F on the D-string...some shifting required...it can be a long tune...staying "in-position" would not be a good thing.
    ;)

FWIW, it's a P-bass in this lip-synched "live" video.
  5. ahc

ahc

Aaaaactually, there's a Jazz and a P in this video. Sunburst J in the front line at the left, and a natural P in the back on the right. Definitely lip-synched and the recording sounds like only one bass to me. And I'd say the recording was a Jazz.
  6. mccartneyman

mccartneyman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Back when I was playing disco, I played it on the A string on a Gibson Ripper. These days I might play it up the neck on the E or I might even play it on the B string of my Lakland.
  7. mcm

mcm

Killer song. What a groove
  8. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses
    Definitely a fun song to play.
  9. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

It's been awhile, but I remember I used the C root on the E string to bounce off when I played that song. Any-case, wonderful groove.
  10. stratovani

stratovani

I use Disco Inferno as a warm-up before playing. Really gets my fingers going! :)
  11. SBassman

SBassman Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Dealer: PiccoBass Guitar-scale Basses