1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Truth About Gene Simmons

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by plangentmusic, Feb 1, 2011.

1. plangentmusic

plangentmusic

Don't worry...this is not a thread to debate the merits or the foibles of Gene Simmons. He's fine. Certainly competent for what he needs to do but nothing amazing. I'm sure even Gene would be in agreement with that assessment. So, let's leave that alone. On to my main point...

I see within a lot of those types of threads a major misunderstanding. it's about songwriting. KISS sold millions of records so people assume they must be good songwriters, or in the least ....decent?

Here's the reality. Writing a rock and roll song is relatively easy. It's comparable to a skill such as sketching, or hanging wallpaper. Some people do it better than others and some people can't do it al all. But it's hardly an elite artistic talent. A million guys can do it.

But that's the magic of music. When it's all done in time and in tune and with good sounds, it takes on a power. It moves people. It makes them think it's more than it actually is. And the truth of the matter is, even if you're mediocre -- even if you're LESS than mediocre -- with enough time and effort and experience you can take any old crappy song and do it well enough to elicit that reaction.

Let's face it -- KISS weren't signed for being hitmakers. They had a gimmick that the record company knew would sell. The music is secondary. In their career of 100 or so songs, about five are barely pretty good. (Arguably) At any rate, that ain't that great.

Now of course, the pedestrian response is "Well, YOU do it!" Well, I have. But in the music industry it isn't about ability, it's about having the right product at the right time and being involved with the right people. That's not sour grapes. I've experienced it myself. I was on a TV show for 5 years. Why? I got lucky. Right place/right time. Meanwhile there are guys who can recite Shakespeare who are waiting on tables. I'm not saying I'm not a good actor. But it's still 90% luck.

So there it is. Don't look too much into it. There's talent all over the place. On Youtube. Right here on TB. Next door, upstairs , accros the street. And then there's mediocrity -- on TV. In the movies. On the stage at Madison Square Garden. At the Grammy's.

That's show biz.
  2. knigel

knigel Supporting Member

Running through a field in your underwear on an episode of COPS barely qualifies you as "being on TV."
  3. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Your "about five are good" argument is void. "Good" is an opinion. Someone might think all of them are good. Someone might think none of them are good. Someone might like the ones other than you like.
  4. Bongofour

Bongofour

Just like the "Kings of Leon"

Worthless musicians with a purpose i suppose?:rollno:
  5. sykes of christ

sykes of christ

You obviously haven't heard the album "Hot in the Shade".
  6. BigOldHarry

BigOldHarry

Hey look! Another Gene Simmons Thread!!!

:hyper:Oh Goodie!:hyper:

While we're at it, can someone tell me what the best bass under $300 for metal is???? :p
  7. pnut166

pnut166

What TV show were you on ?
  8. Bongofour

Bongofour

Sure I have;

More vanilla coming through the ole' speakers for the masses to package up.
    Furthermore, after reading the latest article on Jared in Bass Player, it has reinforced a simple point.
    You do not have to be proficient, just formulaic.
    Box patterns and triads galore....yet again, not making them an enemy. Just nothing refreshing.
  9. plangentmusic

plangentmusic

Think ya missed the point bro. ;)
  10. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Doesn't Paul Stanley write most of the songs?
  11. plangentmusic

plangentmusic

A perfect example of what I'm talking about. Big production. Great sounds. Slick performance. But the compositions are stock and hackneyed. But hey, if you like it , you like it and it served its purpose.
  12. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

13. plangentmusic

plangentmusic

Eh, does it matter? It was a soap. No major starring role. Mostly bit parts, small scenes with a few lines here and there. But it was great money, a lot of fun, easy, and you get to rub elbows with celebrities. Not the worst way to make a buck.
  14. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

Interesting points, but as for the music industry as a whole, Will there ever be successful bands like Kiss and others ever again? With so many other forms of entertainment via computers and hi-tech cell phones, and now rock-n-roll has turned into a video game with this "Rock Band" nonsense. Also music is easily downloaded and shared (stolen) leaving the artists uncompensated. So what's the future for the recording industry? Music will always be around like it always has, but it seems the days of the big rock star era is waning.
  15. waleross

waleross

The truth is Gene is laughing all the way to the bank and then some. Nothing else worth adding .................:eek:
  16. plangentmusic

plangentmusic

All good points, but I'm actually not anti-Rock Band. I think it introduces good classic music to kids and is actually a pretty good time keeping exercise.
  17. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass Supporting Member

That is absolutely true. And no doubt millions have, including nearly every garage band with incredibly in-depth lyrics such as "ooh baby I need to give you my all". (Impressive, no doubt!!) But the trick is writing a song that other people actually enjoy listening to......the lyrics, the composition, the dynamics, etc. That whittles it down to a very small fraction of that "million" you reference.

Most "dudes" who attempt to write songs generate tripe. Look at Nickelback for example. Their music bites wangus and swallows. Sometimes I think things have gotten to the point where any dweebus maximus erectus is allowed into a recording studio. (And don't even get me started on rap!) The result is what we the public end up being bombarded with. It's like getting blasted with junk mail in the mailbox. It's not desirable. Where is the real skill level? The real talent?

KISS' music is indeed very average and simplistic (perfect btw for beginning musicians to learn and jam along with and pretend to be a rock star). But KISS had a gimmick that worked. Good for them! They thought of it, and they cashed in big time. I respect that. I wish *I* would have thought of it. I like to see people succeed, especially when they came up with an idea that others didn't.

For me, I prefer music that is desirable to listen to. And in my opinion, not everyone can write that type of song. I do not want to listen to tripe. I want to hear some good quality stuff. Of course, what I like is irrelevant to anyone reading this, because all of our tastes differ. But there is a reason bands like Led Zep, Rush, Beatles, etc are so well respected. They wrote alot of good music (as demonstrated by their music's popularity and longevity). Sure....not all of their songs are great, but the percentage of their material that is great is much higher than bands who write tripe.

This is all IMO of course!!!
  18. MHT75

MHT75

Are you a member of the Kiss army ??
  19. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Not really but it could be an easier way to make fun of you for not worshiping Gene Simmons. :D

Nice! I'd do it but I have no acting talent. Sorry for the de-rail again.
  20. fourstringburn

fourstringburn

That much maybe true, but the point I'm making is why the younger generation who may be are musical future would bother learning guitar if they can play it on TV with a cardboard cutout.

Sure it could inspire some to do it for real, but I have already seen instances where one gave it up because they realized it takes a lot of effort and commitment. Not so with the video game band.