1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The ultimate conversation- I just had

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by obimark, Feb 11, 2013.

1. obimark

obimark

I just had the holy trifecta conversation with another ignorant "club owner" (now I have arrived)
    Basic questions first, what type of music does your band play? OK good, then for the triple winger with a lindy flip.
    "How many people will your band bring? Do you have a following? I want a band to play my small club from 7-10 because usually nobody is in there during that time!!!"
    My answer: How many people does your club attract on a Saturday night,? 50? 100? What time do they usually come? What are their ages? Do you advertise at all?

This poor clueless dolt, thought, my cover band can "magically" bring in 100 hundred people at 7 o clock to 10 o'clock to her club (in the middle of nowhere) which probably doesn't get 100 people in a week much less a night!?!!

I explained to her, "Mam, my band's job is to entertain the people your club brings in, and keep them there for longer so they buy more stuff, not to bring the crowd for you. Your welcome to look at our website and contact me, but I will only guarantee that we bring the four people in our band."

2. jaywa

jaywa

Good answer.

No, make that, GREAT answer.

3. obimark

obimark

Thanks Brother!

4. JumboJack

JumboJack Supporting Member

Awesome!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ssabass

ssabass

Very well put! Hopefully this becomes a habit for every band rep out there, that's what will start them thinking. I sincerely believe you are helping them, whether they know it or not.

7. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

8. obimark

obimark

These bar owners need to offer something to entice the people.

I should have said, "Well usually we require any club we play to run 3-4 radio spots the week before. Is there a problem with you doing that, so I can insure you a good draw?
    ;-)

9. jaywa

jaywa

Radio spots, LOL.

We can't even get clubs to put up professionally produced posters that we provide. Lazy #*@&.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Yes Yes Yes ... +1

11. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

"Granted, we're normally a five-piece, but the drummer's not that bright and is prone to getting lost on the way..."

Just kidding, sounds like your response was spot on!

12. jaywa

jaywa

Hah, I was gonna say, I've been in bands where even guaranteeing the whole band would show up was a 50-50 proposition...

13. David Jayne

David Jayne

Seems like some of these places want us to manage their business.

Do you want a musician to manage YOUR business?

14. drpepper

drpepper Supporting Member

Another perspective (and I'm assuming you approached her), if you had someone who was "ignorant" but willing to have a conversation, you had an opportunity to educate and sell. It doesn't sound like you took advantage of either.

That said, not much point in either, if you're talking about a club in the middle of nowhere that sees 100 people a week to begin with.

15. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Nice job but it is sad to say it is a problem in allot of areas. Just a few weeks ago our BL took a gig at a new local place. He warned us it would be tips only but if we brought enough people we would see some money from the owner.

The place was a diner that started opening on weekends late and had beer and wine but no matter what it felt like playing in a diner.
    The owner said he had regs who came out but we played to 5-6 people (walk-ins) until the 11-12 people we brought showed up. We had more people come out for us then he put thru the door all night.
    We saw no extra money and chalked it up to another gig not to book again. To make this story even more funny the owner wanted us to bring 20 people to support the place and that he was trying to build up the bands on weekends. There was no sign , ads ..nothing, and the place was off the beaten path :rolleyes:

To tell you the truth I'm sick of trying to get bookings and dealing with owners ,managers etc who won't give you the time of day or you have to chase around. A few weeks ago I had to go to a place 2 times and spent 30.00 on food and drink to corner the manager who told me to stop in and see her. The place is new looks great,busy and in the city. After asking her staff twice to see her she finally pulled herself away and gave me the ya...um... uh huh when I spoke to her and showed her our CD. She asked me no questions on our band in return so it looks like I wasted my time and money here.

16. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Excellent. That's exactly our response. Unfortunately, we had to learn the hard way after two disaster gigs in the middle of nowhere. We were young and dumb enough to believe someone would gladly shell out a bunch of cash for us to play in a different market because we were just so awesome. Of course, they saw the big crowds in the hot spots of our city and thought we would bring that with us. Both gigs made for good stories, like a bona fide Blues Brothers moment where they said they couldn't pay us because our bar tab was too high...we were drinking cans of Hamms beer! Our tab couldn't have been more than $5 haha. But glad that's all behind us and that we know exactly what we can provide.

17. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Probably made you feel better, but did nothing to get you a gig, did it? Like it or not most venue owners/managers/agents only care about what YOU will do for them. They view a band as an expense (and it is) and have their own ideas about what they'll get for their money. To the venue ... advertising, posters, radio spots, any effort to promote ... are all just added expenses in addition to what they pay the band. Some think those expenses and efforts should be borne by the artists ... what are you gonna do?

18. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

Umm, one does, and he sucks! :scowl:

(Me. :()

19. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass Supporting Member

I cheer your attitude too, but I also agree that better salesmanship may have gotten you farther... and her too.

I assume you approached her hence you knew they were "in the middle of nowhere"? Could you also assume such an establishment would not have a packed house regularly? Perhaps an answer along the lines of "I can't guarantee you a certain number of people but I'm willing to work with you to try and get a good turnout" would've been better for you both???

20. ssabass

ssabass

See, I think this resignation is part of the problem right there. Have you have accepted the fact that your job is to bring a crowd to a bar all the time, every gig? Is that reasonable? I don't think so, not even close. Sure, you will have friends and family show up at an odd gig here and there, inconsistently- but it is not your job to pack a place. A venue needs a business plan to make itself successful. It needs a good bar with good staff- a good menu, a good atmosphere or vibe. Entertainment keeps people there, hanging out, spending money- it's part of the atmosphere that a good place might offer.

21. electracoyote

electracoyote

As true as this may be, if a club owner has a choice between your band and your (somewhat smug) gaurantee of the four people in it, and another band that routinely brings at least a few friends and fans to their gigs and gives the bar owner some hope of a few more customers, with talent and entertainment appeal being about the same, which band do you think the club owner is more inclined to hire?

I agree with comments above that though you may have a good point, this was not a good sales tactic. If you have no intention of playing this club, your excercise in educating and swaying bar owners to your business model was worthwhile. If you intended to play this club, you probably didn't score any points.