1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

the ultimate stoner/doom/sludge/psychedelic effects thread!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by The Ethanator, May 26, 2009.

1. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

i see alot of users here posting about what kind of effects to use for this kind of music quite frequently. moreso than many other types of music, aside from heavier metal, in which a light overdrive is usualy the first answer. in this genre, bassists are almost expected to use at least some kind of effect pedal, most notably a fuzz. in this thread, i will provide a list of good threads to read which should help someone wanting to know more about this topic, a list of bands to get one started on the basics in this genre, and a list of effects to use and reccomendations of which kinds to get. if anyone has more information for me to add to this thread, please let me know. so here we go...

effects used:
    dirt: why didnt i just say 'fuzz'? well, i and many other people find that the best way to get good tones for this type of music is not fuzz alone, but rather a mixture of fuzz and overdrive. many people achieve this by putting an overdrive or fuzz in their chain, and then using another dirt pedal with a dry blend after it to allow the 2 sounds to blend together
    a few od/fuzz pedals available with a dry blend:
    ehx bass big muff
    sansamp bass driver or para driver
    wren 'n cuff pickle pie b
    voodoo labs sparkle drive
    boss odb-3 bass overdrive
    place one of these after your favorite dirt and tweak your setting to your minds desire!
    *note* for dirt, fuzz, and filter reviews, check out grygrx's site, http://bassfuzz.com/

modulation: chorus is the most common option, but flangers, phasers, and tremolos may also be used. some phasers such as the boss ph-2 have the ability to have the depth and rate knobs turned all the way down to be used as a different, spacier, more muffled tone, especialy when placed after dirt. some people use it to thicken up a dirty sound, or to give a little more depth on those clean tones. i recently listened to a few sound clips of the ebs unichorus. the ability to switch between chorus, flanger, AND pitch shifting vibrato settings made it sound like it was MADE for psychedelic rock. i use a digitech bass multichorus, and even with a fuzz before it sounds way too digital. its good for getting an idea of what a chorus does and experimenting with it, but it distorts way too easily for my taste
    modulation pedals:
    digitech bass multichorus
    boss...
    ceb-3 bass chorus
    ce-5 chorus
    ph-2/3 phaer
    bf-2/2b/3 flanger
    mxr stereo chorus
    mxr flanger
    ebs unichorus
    analogman chorus
    ehx...
    small stone (phaser)
    small clone (chorus)
    stereo electric mistress (chorus/flanger)
    clone theory (chorus/vibrato)

octave: people can find alot of different reasons for using octavers/pitch shifters. us 4-string players may use a pitch shifter to hit notes lower than we care to tune down to. some use it just to thicken up the low end. one of my favorite times to use an ocatve is after a fuzz, while playing on the higher frets/strings. a good octave wont clip after distortion. the digitech bass synth wah has an ocatasub setting (mode 7) on which the filter can be dialed out for just an octaving function. however, its very crude so i only use it when using distortion
    octave/pitch shifting pedals:
    digitech whammy (or bass whammy, if you can find one)
    boss...
    oc-2/3 octave
    hr-2 harmonist
    ps-3/5 pitch shifter/delay
    ebs ocatabass
    ehx micro pog (has an octave up as well)
    mxr bass octave deluxe

filter/synth: feeling funky? filter pedals are everywhere, and are capable of many different kinds of sounds. the most common being the typical auto-wah sound found in the ehx q-tron. for its price, the ibanez weeping demon is the most adjustable wah available. i and many other users could type whole threads on this pedal, wondering why more bassists arent using it. theres so many sounds available from synths that ill let you surf youtube or the clip database to find something you like
    filter/synth pedals: (excluding standard wahs)
    boss syb-3/5
    digitech bass synth wah
    mxr bss auto q
    ehx q-tron/micro q-tron
    ebs bassiq
    ehx bass micro synth
    ehx bassballs

delay:
    not the most common effect used on bass, but capable of some cool things. alot of people prefer analog delays for their more natural sound, but digital delays can be found for much cheaper. personally, the only time i could ever find myself using a delay is for lspacy drone-style riffs, or just as a weird sound effect
    delays:
    mxr carbon copy
    fuzzrocious night of the walking delay
    deltalab dd1
    digitech digidelay
    boss dd-3/6/7
    ibanez ad-9

bands:
    this is a very broad genre. still able to be called 'stoner metal', bongzilla and om sound nothing alike, do they? so dont listen to one or two random bands from the list and assume thats a good representation of what all these bands sound like. there is a VERY braod range in sounds. heres a few of my favorites:
    acid king
    asteroid
    black sabbath
    bongripper
    bongzilla
    boris
    candlemass
    electric wizard
    fu manchu
    goatsnake
    green machine
    isis
    kyuss
    magashira
    mastodon
    melvins
    monster magnet
    neurosis
    orange goblin
    om
    sleep
    sons of otis
    sunn 0)))
    weedeater
    wooly mammoth

threads to read:
    i took the liberty of using the search function to find some good threads with information that may help budding stoner/doom bassists in creating their tone, finding influences, etc.

stoner rock settings on the ehx bass big muff
    stoner/doom effects
    The OMGZ I LUVZ ME SOME "ŜЌЦĿŁ ŠΜΔŞΗĨИĠ/βΘИΞКЯŲŜĦÏИĞ" tonez club
    stoner/sludge bliss
    stoner/doom sound
    effects used in doom/sludge metal

and, last but not least, a few users' pedalboards that either are used for this kind of music, or i think would be great with this kind of music. hopefully they dont mind me showing their boards off :bag:

Snakeman1066:
    [​IMG]

J-chot:
    [​IMG]

Thunderscreech (at one point in time):
    [​IMG]

SG-Jazz:
    [​IMG]

rratajski:
    [​IMG]

Chronicle:
    [​IMG]

Bassenstien:
    [​IMG]

The Ethanator (myself):
    [​IMG]

enjoy! as stated before, if you feel there is any more information i should include in this thread, post here or shoot me a pm. thanks!
  2. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

3. moose23

moose23

Disclosures:
    Builder Moose23 Electronics
    So with the dry blend you're mixing fuzz+overdrive with just fuzz or with something like the bass big muff overdrive mixed with overdrive+fuzz. Do I understand you right?
  4. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

the bass big muff features a dry blend option. this lets your dry signal pass through uneffected, and the volume knob adds the fuzzed sound on top of the dry signal. if the pedal is in dry mode and the volume is all the way down, its just your clean tone

my pd7 overdrive is before the muff. so if i turn the pd7 on and the bass muff on in dry mode, i hear my complete overdriven signal with the fuzz from the muff layered on top of it. ill be getting a sansamp soon, so ill have fuzz before overdrive, which im hoping will give me a warmer sound
  5. fishsticks

fishsticks

My signal chain:
    Bass> MXR smart gate> Boss tuner> Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive> EHX Bass Big Muff(wet and dry out)>Boss DD-7 (stereo in)> 2 ART TubePres (one for dry one for wet)> both inputs on a Peavey Mark VI head> Peavey 3620 & a Peavey 410T> Ears> Brain> Fingers> Bass> MXR smart gate> Boss tuner> Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive> EHX Bass Big Muff(wet and dry out)>Boss DD-7 (stereo in)> 2 ART TubePres (one for dry one for wet)> both inputs on a Peavey Mark VI head> Peavey 3620 & a Peavey 410T> Ears> Brain> Fingers> Bass> X INFINITY
  6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Woah, big post - but good work. I don't know all those bands listed so I'll check em out. Also check out Witchcraft and Graveyard. By the way, I think that board with the dual wahs and tape delay belongs to someone else... Excane or Bassenstein, I can't remember!
  7. MAMMOTHvolume

MAMMOTHvolume

no melvins? ;o
  8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

Subscribed.

This is where im at so far in my plans:

[​IMG]

the "south-central" board is (or more accurately will be):

VBjr (with Torn's Peaker in loop) -> Super Chile Picoso -> Boss TU-2 (for tuning and muting)

and the distortions? so far:

1. Attack Goat
    2. White Russian (Muff clone, lots of knobs)
    3. Cherry Pop or Soda Miser (or both????)
    4. HM-2 Clone (with mid?)
    5. XXL Bass
    6. B:Assmaster?

Still not sure on the B:Assmaster, and I im aware of the Attack Goat's blend, but I really liked the sound of it with the blend on wet, and I would have some really crazy options with it :D
  9. marksmith85

marksmith85

+1...?!
  10. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

the wren 'n cuff pickle pie b has a great doom sound AND a blender. theres a review on bassfuzz, sounds great with an active bass. im probably going to change my dirt section to:
    devi ever cherry pop (also great with bass from what ive read, and has a good tone) > sansamp (for overdrive, and its got a blender) > pickle pie b
    i may or may not keep my big muff depending on how well these pedals do it for me. one things for sure, the first change in my dirt is going to be replacing the pd7 with a sansamp paradriver

also, re-ordered my board earlier after picking up a hosa offset pedal coupler. it now goes
    pd7 > weeping demon > synth wah > chorus > bass muff > phaser
    so i can still blend my od and fuzz, or i can add one of the next 3 pedals to it before i blend it into my muff. cool stuff...
  11. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Yup, it be me.
  12. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

:eek: oops, my bad. i think i found that pic in a quoted post somewhere, must have labeled it wrong. fixed
  13. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Also remember that Ron Now, the bassist in Bongripper, has posted multiple incarnations of his board on TB. That should probably be in this thread, too.
  14. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

im friends with him on facebook. anyone know his username so i can find some pics?
  15. Metal Matt

Metal Matt

Right now, I'm using a Boss OC-3, Earthbound Audio Effects Supercollider, and a Digitech Digidelay.

I have a Devi Ever Dark Boost that shipped yesterday, and I'm planning on getting an EHX Holy Grail soon. Eventually I'll be getting a Dunlop bass wah. I used to have one, but sold it. Wish I wouldn't have. :meh:

Also, more amps and cabs, always. ;) Won my second Sunn Concert Slave the other day. Hopefully I'll get it by early next week. Already have a 5th cab to use with it. I'll probably get a 6th eventually.
  16. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound

This might come as a shock, but its "Ron Now" ;)

I've got a supercollider coming my way from Thunderscreech once he gets done with his hike, so the board will end up looking like this (I think).

Whammy-Bassballs-SC-Blue Box.

I think I'm definitely regulating the 'verb, trem, and flange to the guitar board, they just don't get enough use in the group I'm in now.
  17. enemybass

enemybass

I use Fender Geddy Jazz - EHX BB Muff - Ashdown James lomenzo overdrive - Tech 21 Vt Bass
    into an ashdown ABM500 - 4x10 & 1x15
    Puts a smile on my face every time I play
  18. chrisisnotevil

chrisisnotevil

MIM Jazz V -> Rat -> Clone Theory -> Stereo Pulsar -> LMB2 -> Ashdown Mag 300 w/ 4x10 and 1x15.

With two guitarists with bug beefy all tube heads in what's quickly becoming a post-metal band, these days I just rely on a good natural tone, and use the Rat when I need to fill sonic space in a song or give it a bit of a kick for a line that needs to stand out a bit more. The trem and chorus are used sparingly in quieter parts. The limiter is obviously to stop too much change in level between effects (and smooth out my sloppy playing :ninja:)

Pretty soon I'm getting an epiphone eb3 due to a nasty crack in the headstock of my Jazz and the recent realisation that I don't need that many strings, I'm just lazy. Constructing some sort of custom board. More of that in the appropriate thread, if it works.
  19. The Ethanator

The Ethanator

probably getting my bass looked at tomorrow. then after i sell my old coin collection, time to pay a visit to the gc... looking at probably an octave, better chorus, or some kind of dirt
  20. theavondon

theavondon

DOD Overdrive->Creepy Fingers Foxx Tone Machine Clone->Russian Big Muff(black one)->LPB-1

I use the OD when my band plays more melvins-y aggro songs. Otherwise, its all about the fuzz. The muff is set to be really treble-y while the tone machine is super bass-y. I use the LPB-1 to just destroy the front end of my Sunn for a amp-on-the-verge-of-meltdown sound. And, for solos, I use the Foxx with the octave up on, and the big muff. It ends up sounding somewhere between a synth and an angry guitar.

And yes, I realize that, essentially, this is all just distortion.