1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The unoriginal question, which multi-purpose mics?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by sstbo, Feb 15, 2013.

1. sstbo

sstbo

I know this question comes up more often than not. But I really have no idea where to begin.

When I'm home-recording I am always going direct (using Guitar Rig and an Apogee Duet interface). However, I want the ability to mic acoustic guitars, vocals, percussion, small amps, etc.. If I could buy one (or maybe two) mic(s), what would the preference be? I am looking to spend no more than 400 euro, used is fine. Is a mic pre-amp a necessity as well?

Thanks!
  2. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

A decent large diaphragm condenser microphone and a dynamic microphone such as the Shure SM57 should get you going quite well. Your Apogee interface does have phantom power according to the specs I read, which you'll need for a condenser mic, so you won't need any additional outboard preamps to get going. You'll be fine starting out with the preamps you have in your interface. Learning about microphone placement and recording fundamentals is more important than anything else at this stage of your recording experience.

I'm not going to recommend any particular brand or model of microphones at the moment. There are many good choices available within your budget that are too numerous to list, but I will say do your research on what catches your fancy when looking at what is in your budget as the internet is loaded with user reviews. The good news is that there are a lot of decent, yet affordable microphones out there these days, and as you master the fundamentals of recording, along with a desire to learn and work hard at it, it's possible to get great results.

There are many home recording and project studio dedicated boards and blogs out there, along with people willing to teach and help. I wish you well on your journey into recording.
  3. sstbo

sstbo

Thanks for the tip! Some friends have been name-dropping the Sm57 as well as some kind of mic from Se electronics. I'll start doing my online research for condenser mics.
  4. EricF

EricF Habitual User Gold Supporting Member

My current recommendation for 2 all-purpose mics on a budget...
    Shure SM57
    CAD M179 (LDC, multi-pattern)

Both of these mics are good enough and versitile enough to remain in your locker alongside mics that cost much more.