1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Value of 1964-1965 Fender Jazz Bass CAR Matching Headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ulyphes, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ulyphes

ulyphes

I want to ask:

is there anybody who have a 1964-1965 Fender Pre CBS Jazz bass in Candy Apple Red with Matching headstock? if 100% original..

and how much you bought it?

I want to know the value....

thanks...

in fact I watched a 1965 jazz bass CAR on ebay, I'm not sure if it's original 100%

is there anybody who could help me to have a check?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221357755007&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

there is a good news
    I find out some pics of a ended bidding on last year, which is same year product, same serial number on Pots,
    but different turners, different capacitor, different checking...

please help me to have a check..

already upload pics on newer posts....
  2. Davo-London

Davo-London

You say 64-65, which is it because this is rather crucial? What's the stamp on the neck?

Davo
  3. pfox14

pfox14

'64 is pre-CBS - '65 is not - big difference.
  4. OldFenderPlayer

OldFenderPlayer

I have a 1965 Jazz Bass in Olympic White with a matching headstock. Its 95%+ original, with the nut replaced, both volume and the one tone pot replaced (but I have the originals), and the bridge pickup rewound.

There has been no refrets, refinishing, parts moved, etc, beyond what I listed.

The value on these basses seemed to have nose-dived over the past five years, but has started to recover.

Assuming a Candy Apple Red would the same value as an Olympic White, I'd put the current retail value somewhere in the $10,000 to $11,000 range, assuming it has the pickup covers and original case. If I sold it to someone who would intend to resell it, I might expect to get $8,000 to $9,000 out of it.

My purchase price isn't comparable because I bought the bass in the late 1970s for $350, which included a Bassman combo amp (50 watt tube head and a 2x12 enclosure, with both speakers shot).
  5. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I don't think there is a huge difference in 64/65. Still pre-CBS parts, wood, etc. It's not until 66/67/68 that values drop.

Check out Guitar Center's vintage bass section - their prices are pretty close to actual market as opposed to Gbase who is still rather high on these things.

They have a '65 in Candy Apple Red with matching headstock for $7,500. Which seems about right.
  6. ulyphes

ulyphes

7. KablesP

KablesP

8. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

i thought those hideous lollipop tuners were not used till 67-68?
  9. ulyphes

ulyphes

it's the Bass I want to sure about.... is it original , and is it worth? is it PRE CBS?
  10. ulyphes

ulyphes

I guess the lollipop tuners are very rare....but I just know they stopped after 70s
  11. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Not pre-CBS. Not original, either. Not with those tuners. The wear on the body looks artificial.
  12. ulyphes

ulyphes

are you seriously sure about it??

it's fake original?
  13. jamminology101

jamminology101 Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    That thing is in pristine condition to be that old. A jazz of that year being custom color with matching headstock is definitely very collectible. I saw a 66 or 67 with the same scheme at samash online for 11, 000k
  14. jamminology101

Disclosures:
    But yeah tuners are different. ..
  15. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

I have a friend with a '66 that has lollipop tuners. Can't tell you anymore than that.
  16. jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Check out samash used online...the first bass listed from high to low is a 66 jazz and is the exact color scheme as the ebay bass and has the same tuners as well. When cbs took over that neck could have been lying around for a year or more before it was ever completed as a bass. Could be 65, 66 etc...
  17. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

More tuner info below.

18. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

19. cobbster

cobbster

I know Fender used lollipop tuners on 66 jazz basses. I would say it was a 66.
  20. ulyphes

ulyphes

I found the samash online, but still can't find samash used online, could you give me a address or key word to search?

thanks..