1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Value of 1964-1965 Fender Jazz Bass CAR Matching Headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ulyphes, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ulyphes

ulyphes

I want to ask:

is there anybody who have a 1964-1965 Fender Pre CBS Jazz bass in Candy Apple Red with Matching headstock? if 100% original..

and how much you bought it?

I want to know the value....

thanks...

in fact I watched a 1965 jazz bass CAR on ebay, I'm not sure if it's original 100%

is there anybody who could help me to have a check?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221357755007&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

there is a good news
    I find out some pics of a ended bidding on last year, which is same year product, same serial number on Pots,
    but different turners, different capacitor, different checking...

please help me to have a check..

already upload pics on newer posts....

2. Davo-London

Davo-London

You say 64-65, which is it because this is rather crucial? What's the stamp on the neck?

Davo

3. pfox14

pfox14

'64 is pre-CBS - '65 is not - big difference.

4. OldFenderPlayer

OldFenderPlayer

I have a 1965 Jazz Bass in Olympic White with a matching headstock. Its 95%+ original, with the nut replaced, both volume and the one tone pot replaced (but I have the originals), and the bridge pickup rewound.

There has been no refrets, refinishing, parts moved, etc, beyond what I listed.

The value on these basses seemed to have nose-dived over the past five years, but has started to recover.

Assuming a Candy Apple Red would the same value as an Olympic White, I'd put the current retail value somewhere in the $10,000 to $11,000 range, assuming it has the pickup covers and original case. If I sold it to someone who would intend to resell it, I might expect to get $8,000 to $9,000 out of it.

My purchase price isn't comparable because I bought the bass in the late 1970s for $350, which included a Bassman combo amp (50 watt tube head and a 2x12 enclosure, with both speakers shot).

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

I don't think there is a huge difference in 64/65. Still pre-CBS parts, wood, etc. It's not until 66/67/68 that values drop.

Check out Guitar Center's vintage bass section - their prices are pretty close to actual market as opposed to Gbase who is still rather high on these things.

They have a '65 in Candy Apple Red with matching headstock for $7,500. Which seems about right.

7. ulyphes

ulyphes

8. KablesP

KablesP

9. Gecko 5

Gecko 5 Supporting Member

i thought those hideous lollipop tuners were not used till 67-68?

10. ulyphes

ulyphes

it's the Bass I want to sure about.... is it original , and is it worth? is it PRE CBS?

11. ulyphes

ulyphes

I guess the lollipop tuners are very rare....but I just know they stopped after 70s

12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Not pre-CBS. Not original, either. Not with those tuners. The wear on the body looks artificial.

13. ulyphes

ulyphes

are you seriously sure about it??

it's fake original?

14. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    That thing is in pristine condition to be that old. A jazz of that year being custom color with matching headstock is definitely very collectible. I saw a 66 or 67 with the same scheme at samash online for 11, 000k

15. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    But yeah tuners are different. ..

16. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

I have a friend with a '66 that has lollipop tuners. Can't tell you anymore than that.

17. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Check out samash used online...the first bass listed from high to low is a 66 jazz and is the exact color scheme as the ebay bass and has the same tuners as well. When cbs took over that neck could have been lying around for a year or more before it was ever completed as a bass. Could be 65, 66 etc...

18. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

More tuner info below.

19. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty

20. cobbster

cobbster

I know Fender used lollipop tuners on 66 jazz basses. I would say it was a 66.

21. ulyphes

ulyphes

I found the samash online, but still can't find samash used online, could you give me a address or key word to search?

thanks..