The value of 45s

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just found a box of around 3 or 4 hundred 45 RPM records. They're all in decent condition, but definitely not pampered. Looks like they've been played a lot, few scratches, but they all look playable.

Anyhow, anyone know a resource other than ebay where I might quickly check the value of them? They're all from the 50s and 60s. There's a lot of motown, shirells, some obscure monkees... actually, a lot of stuff from well known bands that I never heard of of.

I've no clue what any of it's worth, and I'm wondering if it's worth the energy to sell them one at a time, or just put em all up on craigslist for one lump sum. Any info is appreciated.

2. Waspinators

Waspinators

Check discogs.com. I would just sell the rarer ones in better shape individually, and put the rest up as a lot.

3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Do they have the original sleeves? In some cases, the sleeves are ~50% of the value.

4. b_carville

b_carville

There's a website called Popsike that's pretty good for checking the current going rate. It costs a few $$$ to join but they will let you search 3 or 4 times in a 24 hour period for free.
    On EBay you should look under completed listings. That actually shows what item's really go for. You may have to have a seller account to do that.
    Determine condition as well. Like any collectable condition is everything. Mint( unplayed), very good +, very good-,etc.
    A lot of obscure funk & soul fetches a good price right now , especially in Europe.60's & early 70's psychedelic & garage stuff fetches $$$$ as well. Grade your picture sleeves as well. Obscure stuff can be valuable. If you never heard of it , that's a good sign.
    I've been dealing/dabbling in vinyl for over 30 years.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    No sleeves. :/ Will check out those sites tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys.