1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The value of 45s

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just found a box of around 3 or 4 hundred 45 RPM records. They're all in decent condition, but definitely not pampered. Looks like they've been played a lot, few scratches, but they all look playable.

Anyhow, anyone know a resource other than ebay where I might quickly check the value of them? They're all from the 50s and 60s. There's a lot of motown, shirells, some obscure monkees... actually, a lot of stuff from well known bands that I never heard of of.

I've no clue what any of it's worth, and I'm wondering if it's worth the energy to sell them one at a time, or just put em all up on craigslist for one lump sum. Any info is appreciated.
  2. Waspinators

Waspinators

Check discogs.com. I would just sell the rarer ones in better shape individually, and put the rest up as a lot.
  3. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Do they have the original sleeves? In some cases, the sleeves are ~50% of the value.
  4. b_carville

b_carville

There's a website called Popsike that's pretty good for checking the current going rate. It costs a few $$$ to join but they will let you search 3 or 4 times in a 24 hour period for free.
    On EBay you should look under completed listings. That actually shows what item's really go for. You may have to have a seller account to do that.
    Determine condition as well. Like any collectable condition is everything. Mint( unplayed), very good +, very good-,etc.
    A lot of obscure funk & soul fetches a good price right now , especially in Europe.60's & early 70's psychedelic & garage stuff fetches $$$$ as well. Grade your picture sleeves as well. Obscure stuff can be valuable. If you never heard of it , that's a good sign.
    I've been dealing/dabbling in vinyl for over 30 years.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    No sleeves. :/ Will check out those sites tomorrow. Thanks for the input guys.