The "What bass should I get?" thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cry515, Feb 13, 2013.

1. cry515

cry515

Hi everyone, by now you've all probably seen hundreds of these threads, and I apologize in advance if I've stuck this in the wrong section, this seemed to be the place to ask.

Basically, I'm looking at upgrading from my $200 Cort to something a little more upscale. I currently have in mind either:

Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 $699.00
    Ibanez SRA500 $675.00
    Ibanez Iceman ICB300ex $895.00

That's all I've come up with at the moment, based on look and from how they've played. The only one I haven't touched is the Iceman, so I'm a little unsure about it.

I play a bit of everything, however when I'm with a band it is always going to be Punk/Pop-Punk. So the ideal sound is something that'll gel nicely with that style of music. I'm a self taught bassist, so I'm not with all the terms, I just know how to play and get the sound I'm looking for, so I can't describe what it is I'm after beyond what I have already.

Feel free to suggest anything else, I'm open to pretty much any other bass, however I am in Australia, and I would prefer not to spend above $1000 if I can help it.
  2. DeliriumTremens

DeliriumTremens

out of those the SR is what I'd choose
  3. mystic38

mystic38

i have the SRA500 and its a real good player and very versatile.. if you want more weight in tone and lbs as a trade for a bit less versatility look for an SRX500 (or so, used) with the huge soapbar humbuckers...

4. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

(Pop-) Punk screams Fender Precision to me... Thinking of Blink 182 for example. Jazz will also work if you need more versatility.

If that ain't your cup of tea though, you get another vote for the SR from me.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. El-Bob

El-Bob

Any of those is a fine choice... I have to ask though, what do you have for an amp? It might be worth spending about half your budget on a great used amp, and the other half on a used bass. Your money will go farther, and through a better amp you'll sound better. That is, of course, unless you have a good amp already.
  7. punisher911

punisher911

I'm going to chime in for the Iceman.. I love the look of them. I believe those are the same pickups that were in my SRX2EX. I loved the sound of them.
  8. fabubass

fabubass

Fender Precision or Jazz...........Done!
  9. Davo-London

Davo-London

MIJ Precision.

Ibanez basses are lovely players so they'll be good.

Davo
  10. cry515

cry515

A lot of votes for the Ibanez, I was kinda leaning towards the SRA500 too, just felt really nice in my hands, played beautifully also. I have a Line 6 LD300 Pro for an amp, nothing fancy, but with no real effort I can get an awesome sound from it that really suits the music I play.

I'm going to another music shop to check out some Cort and MusicMan basses today. However since this is pretty important for me to get the right bass, let me thank you all for giving your advice so far, it's rad to get some awesome advice from other players!
  11. Wallace320

Wallace320

PFRs are passive, wide exposed polepieces, humbuckers, capable of a strong fundamental and effective with a pick.
    Otherwise, lookin' for a MusicMan and/or Cort, Sterlin' Ray 34 or GB94

Cheers,
    Wallace
  12. cry515

cry515

Thanks again for all the advice. I ended up going into one of my local music shops (Lucky enough to have 3 different stores pretty close by), they ended up not having the SRA500 available, since it's discontinued model. The next step in the evolutionary chain for that model is the SRA550, which they didn't have either. They did however have the stiletto 4 and a few other Schecters. I picked up the Stiletto, nice bass but just didn't feel good for me, just the feeling I got. I ended up playing around with a few different basses before picking up a Schecter Raiden Custom-4. This bass just felt awesome from the moment I sat down with it, just clicked on all levels for me.

So in the end I bought it, got it with a free CNB hardcase, which is awesome. I had a chance to play a Sterling Ray-4, and a few others, but none came close to the Schecter. Thanks again all for your advice it did help me make an informed decision.
  13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Post some pictures when you get the chance! ;)
  14. DudeLeap

DudeLeap

Like other have said in would look into a p-bass or a j-bass if you want something that will fit the punk sound the best. I would even consider a Musicman stingray. I'm not saying that the basses you are looking at aren't good choices but 90% of the music I listen to is either punk or punk influenced and the basses I listed are what the majority of the bands use. Whenever I think of ibanez I think of rock or metal.