The Winter Olympics thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Milk, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Milk

Milk

Might as well have one.

So far all we have is the ceremonies but I will say this, say what you will about russia, and theres loads of things to say, and i am saying them myself most days, but these opening ceremonies are breathtaking (though the guy responsible for the snowflake not opening into an olympic ring has just won himself an all expenses paid one way trip to Siberia, courtesy of Putin). Best i've ever seen so far. Puts Vancouver to shame. Of course, these are the costliest olympics ever so it figures, i wonder how much just that cost. And yeah, they seem so far completely intent to skim over most the communist era, we'll see but it sure looks this way.... It's kinda indecent the money spent, but it was definitely spent to wow.

2. ZenG

ZenG

All the vibes I'm getting from Sochi are incredibly uninspiring compared to any other Olympic event held anywhere else in the last 20 years.

I appreciate the hardworking athletes.........but everything else that 's Russian quite frankly sucks.....IMO..

Which is weird that Russia and Sochi would suck....given Putin's law about such.......

3. Milk

Milk

Apparently in Russia in the 50's everyone listened to and danced to rock music.

They ran with that flame for way too long. Unlike in vancouver we didnt see anyone run through the streets. Too much of a risk to get attacked by a rabid dog....or trip on a dead one

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I thought the USA athletes acted a little over the top as they marched out. Smile, wave, and go to your spot. Not everything is a photo op or social media moment.

-Mike

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually Supporting Member

Facebook army disagrees

7. Root 5

Root 5

It's interesting how many and how wide the historical gaps were in the opening ceremony. I guess organizers decided the oppression, corruption, imprisonment, mass murder side of their history wasn't opening ceremony fare.

8. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Would you take issue with the US missing out those aspects of it's past?

I don't recall any mention of the past nasties during the London Olympics opening ceremony either.

These Winter olympics have generated some class social media:

9. Root 5

Root 5

The distinction is that all of these things, save maybe the mass murder, are still happening there.

Sure, there's corruption in all governments. But few excel like Russia.

And yes I would take notice of historical gaps it no matter the nation.

10. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Corruption happens everywhere, heck, look at the ties our financial institutes and governments have made, so that we tax payers are given the burden of supporting the financial institutes which then continue to **** us?

The US has the highest prison population per-capita in the world, it even streamlines things by turning this into a profit making venture for some companies. There's of course the somewhat sketchy (to say the least) Guantanamo Bay facility too.

Back to the topic though, a guy from my rugby club is freestyle skiing for Team GB :bassist:

11. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Anyone see the slope style snowboarding? It was awesome.

12. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

This is not a thread about the Olympics :oops:

13. Milk

Milk

I'm sure Germany would skip on it's nazi era.....

In the vancouver opening cermeonies there was a lot lot lot of time devoted to natives... i personally believe that it was out of guilt more than anything else. It's like they overcompensated maybe afraid of being accused of skimming over it otherwise, that and...Canada isnt exactly exotic, we don't have a long history either... so i feel they thought hey that's something that might attract tourists, better focus on that. On any other day the average canadian doesnt ponder much on the natives or care.

Anyway let's try to focus on the sports aspect now.

14. bmc

bmc

Go to Vancouver and spend some time checking out the long, proud history of the aboriginal community, aboriginal art. Heck, take a stroll through Vancouver airport. Without it, it would be a boring west coast city. Omitting it would have been ignorant.

You need to get out and travel the world to realize how Canada is viewed from abroad. There is a lot to be proud of. I used to live in the high arctic of Canada. I met Neil Armstrong, and Sir Edmund Hillary when I lived there. The high arctic is the last place Canadian's will go to, preferring predictable Hawaii, Mexico, Las Vegas. Hillary and Armstrong were on their way to Lake Hazan to ski down the mountains in northern Ellesmere. Why? Because they, and the others with them, say it's an exotic destination.

Canada is a great country.....despite not having lived there for sixteen years. ;)

It's a great place to visit and be from. Having lived abroad and traveled to 41 countries, it's a great country.

Nice to see Canada pulling in the medals. Cheering big time for Canada.

15. jrthebassguy

jrthebassguy Supporting Member

Fair enough. British Imperialism was definitely overlooked in London, and American problems have been overlooked in SLC/Atlanta/etc.

Anyways, as always, hockey is my favorite winter sport. USA and Russia in the same group stage. I can see that match getting real ugly, real quick.

16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Andreas Wank.

That is all.

17. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

It's an off week for the 6 Nations next weekend so I'll definitely be tuning into the US-Rus hockey match!

18. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

Has anyone else noticed a difference in the ski jumping?

1.) It seems that the athletes don't start off from a platform, but rather release themselves from holding onto a bar.

2.) They don't seem to be flying as high above the ski jump as in past Olympics; is this done for safety?

Mike

P.S. BMC, good to see you, Brian; I'll send you an e-mail later.
    Happy New Year. :)

19. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The event that just concluded was on the "normal" hill, not the big one.

20. Michael Jewels

Michael Jewels

So, will they be going to the bigger hill, and will the jumps look like the jumps from past Olympics?

Mike

21. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The Ski Jump will never be the same without the legend that is Eddie The Eagle!