1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

The Wood Brothers

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by dbass87, Feb 9, 2014.

1. dbass87

dbass87

I know everybody's familiar with Chris Wood, but have you seen him with the Wood Brothers? This clip he does some arco on the intro/verses and some funky pizz on the chorus...I really like this band, his brother sings and plays some sweet guitar. check it out:

Robert Strickland likes this.
  2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

Their new album "The Muse' Is definitely worth picking up if you like that bluesy Americana sound. Chris' bass sounds great on the CD and you should also check out the videos they recorded live in the studio. Here are two nice ones:

Honey Jar

Keep Me Around

The title track has some nice arco work too.

- Steve

Robert Strickland likes this.
  3. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

I've seen them a bunch. They play locally a fair bit (Chris lives in Saugerties/Woodstock). My favorite venue to catch them is Bearsville theatre when they are in town. Intimate with great sound. They're all nice guys too. The last time I saw them was before they added the third member (I forget his name) but they utilized a drummer. I was always a fan of MMW and have been a fan of the Wood Bros since Ways Not To Lose.

Beau Jeffers likes this.
  4. dbass87

dbass87

that's awesome. yeah they added Jano Rix on the drums and percussion...I love the sound the three of them have together. I just recently got into them but really digging it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dbass87

dbass87

I've seen those, they are great clips. Chris gets amazing tone and the group just gels so well. I recently picked up a couple of their albums and am wanting to get them all.

7. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Yup, cool band! Jano is a buddy of mine & I get to play with him occasionally in Nashville. It's cool to see him in a band that suits his style so well!

8. bassplace

bassplace

+1 Great band. Seen them a couple times at Rams Head in Annapolis. I wish they'd come back there rather than other places in DC

9. lermgalieu

lermgalieu

I just stumbled on this thread today, immediately downloaded The Muse, and I spent the past 45 minutes playing the main bass line in Keep Me Around. Great album.

10. dbass87

dbass87

ha awesome!

11. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

I just saw them here in Santa Cruz last week. Chris is one of my faves... beautiful, huge, thoughtful, swings like a motherf*cker!
    But, as much as I go to see Chris play, Oliver is a brilliant songwriter and maybe the best part for me.
    -Jeff

12. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

I love them, and really dig what a great big sound Chris gets, and the plentiful real estate in the mix he's given so we can all hear that sound in full glory. In fact, I always wonder about bands that mix the bass really low... they just don't know what they're missing!

13. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

This is a favorite:

dbass87 likes this.
  14. dbass87

dbass87

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Word up

16. DownLow

DownLow

Chris Wood is one of my favorite modern players. I've seen the Wood Brothers a few times and MMW twice. Great song writing, dripping with Blues and Funk. I'm glad to hear other people get excited about them too.

dbass87 likes this.
  17. dbass87

dbass87

Ya'll should definitely check this one out if you haven't...Real catchy tune and Chris plays some sweet breaks:

Steve Boisen likes this.
  18. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Supporting Member

That's some good stuff right there!

- Steve

dbass87 likes this.
  19. skydogg

skydogg Supporting Member

They are terrific. I saw them in Seattle earlier this year, and I'm seeing them again this Thursday when they open for Tedeschi Trucks Band. Hells yes.

20. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

21. joe.wimberley

joe.wimberley

They're touring now, coming to NC in a couple of months. Excited for the show/bass clinic!