The world population : overcrowded

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Thomas Kievit, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Can you all believe it? About 7.2 billion people live on this small planet.

About 894.706.585 people are underfed, 1.585.295.470 people are overweight, another 528.431.830 are obese and the list goes on and on.

According to several scientists, the worldpopulation will reach the number 8,3 billion in barely 15 years from now.

What does this has to mean for our foodsupplies and what about out the energy resources? And above all : is there a way to stop this?
  2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

One train of thought goes along the lines that nature self-regulates - ie once a population of anything reaches a certain level, then built in "fail-safes" kick in. They're not pleasant.
    In our case -war, disease, famine... the population get culled to a manageable level and the process starts all over again.
    :(

In regards to food supplies and energy.. I don't know, but we really need to start getting more creative than we are now.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

We currently produce enough food to feed over 10 billion people.
    The Earth is very far from being overcrowded by humans and ressources available can easily supply us.
    Our issues like in most things come from politics and economy, not environment.
  4. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Don't panic...watch this (and anything else you can find from Hans Rosling)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Actually, population growth self regulates when societies achieve a level of child mortality that sees nearly 100% of children grow to adulthood. People then tend to have small families that they can afford instead of having loads of kids in the hope that some of them make it. It's no coincidence that large family sizes are the norm in poverty stricken parts of the world since child mortality, and life expectancy, are intrinsically linked with poverty. In emerging economies, population growth slows down almost proportionally to the rise in prosperity.
  7. Jazz Ad

I like this guy.
  8. pedroims

pedroims

This, per your numbers, there are more people eating more what their bodies need agaisnt those that does not have enough food. Same goes to energy, we spend alot of energy in things that we dont need for living.
  9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

It's not over-crowded, but humans need to become much more efficient. The amount of energy used to produce what we consume is astounding and we make far too many products to be disposable.

As far as "What happens if we reach the tipping point?", someone will come along with the "Ultimate Plan" that will include genocide, forced sterilization, Eugenics or some other way to ensure that we breed out the traits seen as weakness and trying to continue the strains that are seen as beneficial. The ultimate result will be far worse than any benefits because the genetic diversity of the human population will be reduced.

Personally, I'm pulling for the next Ice Age. That would be a very efficient method of reducing the population without it being done by mankind. Plagues do the same- they remove the weak and the ones with stronger immune systems keep plugging along. I think the next plague will be the result of over-sanitizing and overuse of antibiotics by people who stop before the illness is finished, which cause mutations in organisms that become much more virulent than before.
  10. Jazz Ad

Actually that sad truth is that there is enough food for 3 billion people going to the wastes everyday.
    Modesty needs to make a comeback, too. USA and other developped countries waste a lot more ressources than needed.
    Unfortunately our economy is based on everdeveloping consumption so unless we find a new one, it isn't likely to happen.
  11. kissmybASS01

kissmybASS01

As population exceeds food supply, GMO practices from companies such as Monsanto will be much more common and almost a necessity. This will be one of the only ways we will be able to produce enough "supply" for the masses.

I guess it's kinda like the farmed fish we can buy at our local supermarkets. Plentiful? Sure. Healthy? Not so much....
  12. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

This is totally correct!

I read a recent article that said if all the 7 + billion humans were to stand together tightly, they could all fit into just one county in the State of Rhode Island USA. (RI has only 5 counties and is the smallest state in America.)

I also read that a family of 4 can survive and feed itself on just one acres of land.

I read the Earth can easily support 20 billion.

In any State of the USA or country of the world, the amount of open space is truly mind boggling! But we tend to live all clobbered up in cities!

Of course a population of 20 to 30 billion would require that humans live WITH the environment of the Earth and not AGAINST it as we currently are doing.
  13. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Gold Supporting Member

[steps on soapbox, clears throat]

Bootstraps.
  14. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I think, as a long term goal, we should be spending more time trying to make Mars habitable for humans.

I agree that we're not currently overpopulated, and that problems like poverty and hunger are due to social and economic problems, and not an actual lack of resources, but we don't seem to be slowing down much, so having an additional planet to work with might one day come in handy.
  15. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

None of this would mean anything if capitalism could actually deal effectively with resource management. People have been worrying about over population for over a century. Many people have since died worrying about overpopulation. It is a trendy myth that often translates to 'lets stop Africans reproducing so we can continue to waste resources in the West, because our economic systems encourage gross squandering". Simply put, you could move over to entirely renewable energy, and there is more than enough land in the world suitable for food production. However, economists declare that there is no economic gain in offsetting pollution beyond a certain point, or providing cheap and easily available food beyond a certain point. :meh:
  16. Jazz Ad

GMO doesn't produce more than other types of culture. It isn't more stable, more resistant, cheaper or easier to grow.
    There is no valid reason to use them in their current state. It is forced on growers by state trades for this reason.
    In its current state, it should disappear because it really is more a burden than a blessing.
  17. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

We will need more people to populate Mars soon.
  18. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I think GMO food is something worth investigating as it could solve problems down the road. I do agree that it's not needed right now though, and that companies were too eager to get it out into the market. It seems to me that this is something someone somewhere in a laboratory should be working on with the goal of finding safer, more sustainable food sources for the future, when our current abundance just isn't enough.
  19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Read 'Ishmael' by Daniel Quinn.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Remove all the warning and safety labels from products and let nature sort itself out.

-Mike
  21. casper_morgan

casper_morgan

Already happening... it's called Agenda 21. Monsanto. Fluoridation of water supplies...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.