1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

The Worst Bass Player Who Ever Made It Pro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by wafu_vasco, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wafu_vasco

wafu_vasco

Now I realise that the title of this thread sounds very negative and not the sort of upbeat conversation that people are accustomed to at talkbass, but really, this is a celebration. No matter now much life is getting you down, no matter how bad things are, no matter how much you are struggling with the bass, be you new to it or a veteran of many years, remember... smile! Life is great, because no matter how bad you think you are, you are a way, way better bass player than Michael Anthony of Van Halen. Please take a few minutes to check the link below (apparently it's tea, not whiskey, and he is stone cold sober) - I hope it makes a few people smile!!! :D

http://uk.youtube.com/results?searc...ass solo&search_type=&aq=0&oq=michael anthony
  2. mister-o

mister-o

In before mention of Pete Wentz.
  3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

4. wagstaff

wagstaff

I believe it's a cirtain Mr Wentz.

But thats my opinion (and many others too)

He will probably get the most votes for this thread.
  5. WayneS

WayneS

6. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

7. Fnord Explorer

Fnord Explorer

Sid Vicious. They actually unplugged his amp during shows because he was so bad.
  8. casio

casio

I just dont get the point of these threads...I have no idea what good comes of them!
    who cares if they suck or they're awesome?
    they make music people want to listen to and that should be respected. Not that I care for them too much, but theres always someone worse or someone who can melt your face off, but thats not the point!
  9. WayneS

WayneS

+1

He's a great writer, but poor bass player.

Also add Bobby Dall (Poison).
  10. WayneS

WayneS

So why contribute to a pointless thread then?
  11. JohnnyPustular

JohnnyPustular

Wolfgang Van Halen!
  12. wafu_vasco

wafu_vasco

Some damn fine suggestions for our A-List of "Why do the band let this guy hang around with them?" bass players - but is there any documented evidence? I'm quite proud of my Exibit A - Michael Anthony on the initial post. Does anybodyhave any other cringe worthy links? :bassist:
  13. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

+2
  14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

15. namraj

namraj

Pete Wenz isn't a pro bass player, he is a pro song writer and performer, it just happens that he plays bass. He's not rich and famous because he's a (good/bad) bass player, he's famous because he writes catchy songs for his band and has charisma
  16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gravity Picks
    [/thread]

Off subject, but the best bassist to never make it big, MarloweDK. Just my opinion.
  17. Beyer160

Beyer160

I'm going to disagree with you on a technicality- I don't think Sid ever "played" bass at all. It was just a prop, like the girls in the Robert Palmer videos.

I don't know if he's the worst, but it's been an acknowledged fact for decades that Michael Anthony is the Luckiest Man In Rock, even more so than Adam Clayton.
  18. joesguitar1129

joesguitar1129 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Joes Music Exchange
    Ill take Pete Wentz for a 1000 Alex.... He can write a catchy song yes and do crazy spin kicks while playing his catchy songs. Nikki Sixx is the same. Writes catchy songs, but cant really play for ****. Gotta give em credit though they will never have money problems.
  19. Toshiro

Toshiro

Cliff Williams (AC/DC), Wentz, Sixx and even Wolfie aren't BAD bass players. BAD bass players make mistakes like playing wrong notes a lot. No, these guys play simple lines, either because the songs need it or because of technical skills limitations.

But they aren't bad bass players.
  20. dmusic148

dmusic148

Some of these guys, sure, they're weak. But Michael Anthony? C'mon. The guy could rock, hard, in time and in tune, with great tone. Sure, he's no Anthony Jackson, but geez....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.