1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Then I asked “Do the others know you are looking for replacements

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Wesley R, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Wesley R

Wesley R

Then I asked “Do the others know you are looking for replacements…………..

I put an ad in CL, and all was well. I learned about genres that I didn’t even know existed, found an excellent opportunity way too far away for my needs, wants, wishes or desires. Then came the perfect response to my ad.
    The tunes were within my likes and capabilities, the practice and gig schedule was perfectly aligned with my wants, etc. The BL had two bass players he was working with, but “each seems a little off”. I explained that we all are and we had a good chuckle over that. I went to a gig, and all seemed well enough, and the bass gent was doing fine by my observation. He felt a tad uncomfortable (I think), yet was enjoying himself. The three guitarists and drummer had been friends and gigging for close to thirty years, so this may explain the appearing slightly uncomfortable.

All of a sudden it hit me, maybe the two they are working with do not know if they might be replaced, or do they even know there is another, much less a third contender? Part of me said go for it anyway, another thought was along lines of open and honest communications.
    So I nicely ask the BL if they knew of each other and if they knew that a third might be entering the mix. All communications stopped.

I may have dodged a bullet on that one.

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Yeah, I think you dodged a nightmare - and I'd probably tell the other two bass players too (and all bass playing friends).

3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

You definitely just saved yourself from future agony. Even if you could look past the dishonesty, the band had *three* guitarists!:crying:

4. String Theory

String Theory

+1. Three guitarists that are friends. One of them should play bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Just that alone is enough to make for a bass player's worst nightmare.

7. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

8. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD Supporting Member

I've came up on two different bands that asked me to learn all material on the sly in secret practices with the guitarist or band so they could oust the bass player and immediately (in there mind) be gigging with me.

told them both to eff directly off.

9. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Why would the BL have told you of the other two bass players?

And yeah, 3 guitarists? Is it a Skynyrd Tribute band? :)

10. Wesley R

Wesley R

The BL said any one of the three could double on bass, but really enjoyed the guitar more.

When my GF and I saw them, they were the warm up band for some friends of theirs. We showed up a few minutes early and we saw a short character strutting around like bantam rooster. My GF looks at me says “drummer”. I chuckled because I was thinking that. We were right, and he was an excellent drummer.

11. Stingray5

Stingray5

Three guitarists? Yes, you definitely dodged a bullet..

12. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    This is how I think it should be done:

I was filling in on a gig as an audition to be their sub bassist. Their regular bassist is also a very good lead guitarist, and was the guitar player on the gig filling in for the guitarist who couldn't make it. They had another guy come out to check out the band with the potential for him to be the sub bassist. The BL let me know someone was coming to check out the band. I got a chance to meet the guy who wanted to audition for the spot, and I offered to let him sit in on a few songs on my bass so the band and the potential bassist could get a feel for each other. Basically, I offered a guy the opportunity to replace me in the future, and the band the opportunity to see if someone may be a better fit than me.

The way I see it, time and goodwill are in limited supply. Why waste either when it's unneccessary?

13. Wesley R

Wesley R

Open, honest communication, as well as everyone being an adult, sounds crazy, but just might work.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

did it?

jive, are you now their sub bassist?

15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yes, I am. I've already done a bunch of gigs with them.