1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

they pull me back in...

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by nostatic, Feb 6, 2013.

1. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    [​IMG]

After having good success with a 5-string (E-C), I've toyed with the idea of a 6'er. I currently don't have a bass with a B-string in the house so I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. This violates my "34" only" rule, but I also had a "no ash/maple J-bass" rule that was crushed by a certain Lull so I figure I'll do the experiment. If I don't get on with it, then someone else will have a shot at a bass that evidently is pretty damn sweet. Thanks to Joe and Jerry for the input. Picking this up from the classifieds after it gets the stock bridge back and ramp removed (original Bump photo):

[​IMG]
  2. JOME77

JOME77

Congrats Todd!

You got yourself a real winner! That's a very sweet playing and sounding bass! I can't wait to hear what you think of it after it arrives and your get it broke in good!
  3. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs Supporting Member

haha...so much for self-imposed rules :) Nice
  4. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

I'll miss it. Really a special instrument and not too common considering the pickups and spacing. I'm very fond of the Koa top on it too. I hope you put it to great use!
  5. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Roscoe's are for breaking rules. I don't know that I'd go 6 again - tried that already - but it's tempting to get an E - C built...
  7. JOME77

JOME77

Steve,
    It took me 5 Roscoe 6'ers (over a period of 6 years) before I fully made the transition. I've been playing 6'ers exclusively now for 3 years and looking back I was always just on the edge of breaking through each time that I regressed back to the 5.

Going E-C could be a cool thing but IMHO you just haven't given it enough time yet. :)
  8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Maybe...but my wife would kill me if I had these 2 beautiful "forever" 5 strings and then switched to a 6.

While there is no 6 like a Roscoe 6, and even though I only tried it for a couple months, I still think the neck was just a little too wide for me to play comfortably.

The reason for thinking E-C is that sometimes I'd like some extra range for soloing in a standard type jazz setting.

Honestly though, I think I'm pretty well covered with a fretted and fretless B-G pair. Anything more is really a luxury - as if 2 beautiful Roscoe's isn't already.
  9. nostatic

Disclosures:
    I dig E-C. For one of my bands, about half of the material depends on the C-string due to the instrumentation and arrangements. That's part of the reason for messing with a 6 - to see about having both. It may not work out but life is all about doing the experiment.
  10. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

1. I was thinking HARD about buying that bass.
    2. I've strung up my first bass E-C and I am really digging it.
    3. If I were a fretless player, my 5 would definitely be strung E-C.
  11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

I too have eyed this bass since it arrived at Rocket. Fortunately (depending how you look at it) I have conceded that I'm a 4/5 string guy, so I can look at this one thinking how nice it is without the extreme temptation to buy it every time it's up for sale :D
  12. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

I may try mine E-C after me fretted gets here.
  13. JOME77

JOME77

^^^ I really liked the E-C on my 5 string fretless but I had issues using it in church because almost 1/2 the tunes require the low B.

The 6 string fretless solved that. Of course I rarely use the high C at church On both fretless & fretted) but I love the feel of that Roscoe 6 neck! And IMO the extra wood on the neck just makes for a phatter sound.

When's the CS6 due to arrive Todd?
  14. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

If I did E-C on my fretless I wouldn't use it at church. It'd be a "jazz" gig bass. Since I don't have many of those I don't know if I'll change it. If I get a 3rd bass...
  15. FretNot

FretNot

Nice acquisition Todd! Congrats. Beautiful wood, and sweet combination.

I personally use the b string 3 or 4 times more than the c string. So for me, there is no c without the b. ;)

Andre
  16. nostatic

Disclosures:
    Should be here Mon. I have gigs next week Thu/Sat/Sun/Mon. I'll have to 'shed with it before I take it out though the Mon gig is low-key and the right place for it.
  17. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

Joe,

What type of music are you playing in church?
  18. nostatic

Disclosures:
    Well, not that I'm quick to judge or anything, but while this is a sweet bass, I am just not a 6-string kinda guy. Part of it is that I've been playing a lot of 4-string and my 5 is an E-C with narrow spacing and a pretty small neck. I actually was surprised at how svelte the Roscoe neck is, but my brain and hands max out on my 5.

If any Roscoeheads want some sweet koa/mahogany/birdseye love, I'll make you a deal.
  19. JOME77

JOME77

Tomlin, Crowder, Redman, Australian Worship Band, Casting Crowns ….. Mostly acoustic guitar based stuff.
  20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings

Man, less than 24 hours. If you were my student, I'd tell you the same thing we tell anyone new to the 6: lock up your other basses and spend some *time* with it. How in the world can you make a decision with an unfamiliar instrument in that amount of time?

Your hands must be bigger than this lady - she's not even as big as the bass....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCzdKOadJUs

But you're not, so I'll just shake my head a bit. Somebody's going to get a decent deal on it, I suppose.