Thick, Rich and without coloring the tone Delay

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jose.romo.macie, Jan 6, 2014.

1. jose.romo.macie

jose.romo.macie

Hi I'm looking for a very thick, rich delay without coloring the tone. Any suggestions?
  2. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

This sounds like a contradiction to me personally as I view texture and quality as color...but I'll bite anyways -- perhaps the Empress Superdelay?

Would "thick, rich delay" without treble loss describe closely what you're looking for or is there something else as well?
  3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Sounds to me like what you want is a digital delay that isn't voiced to do analog or tape simulation. That seems simple but the reality is that delays are overwhelmingly purchased by guitarists who are more often than not looking for a colored, tone.

A great cheap (and small) option is the discontinued Guyatone MD3 which can still be found at a good price. The new Guyatone Micro delay is great too (and more sturdy) but I don't like it as much for the higher price.

The Empress Superdelay can do crystal clear repeats and tons of other stuff but it is spendy.

The TC Electronics Nova Repeater hits a nice sweet spot of value and functionality. Tap tempo, crystal clear repeats as well as tape and analog modes and at a reasonable price. However, it is relatively large and requires it's own (included) power supply.

The TC Flashback is feature packed but is NOT crystal clear on any of its modes. Just throwing that out there.

The AKAI Headrush is huge but it provides a really clean delay as well as fun and easy to use looping functionality.

The Line6 Echo Park isn't absolutely clear but pretty close on the digital setting and it is an inexpensive and really fun pedal besides.

And of course any of the Boss DD pedals should work well for you.

Lots of options.
  4. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

+1 for the TC Nova Repeater.

I own the Nova Repeater, and I think that it would really suit your needs.
  5. sk8

sk8

Repeater or for more bells the Nova Delay
  6. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    El Capistan maybe?
  7. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

I have used both the TC NovaRepeater & the Flashback. Both sound great, and can both get you clean and clear repeats (The flashback has a 2290 mod which is clean)
    However, the Flashback doesn't have Tap Tempo, while the Repeater does.
    To further complicate things, the Flashback has TonePrint, which enables you to completely customize your delay sound.
    To keep the delays clean and clear and not muddy, I'd suggest using the TonePrint to create a lowpass filter. I set mine at ~650Hz, so it's present and usable, but it doesn't get muddy. I can use delay a lot more often now because of that.

Just some thoughts.
  8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Interesting. I dug the Flashback when I had it but I always felt the 2290 setting was still EQ'd rather than a crystal clear repeat.
  9. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

true, but it's close enough for my ears ;)
  10. jose.romo.macie

jose.romo.macie

Yes Ricky Cabovede, that is exactly what I ment.

11. jose.romo.macie

jose.romo.macie

Thank you, I liked the Nova Repeater Option, I should try it

12. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

If you don't need a super long Delay Check out the MXR Carbon Copy...I love mine!!
  13. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Carbon Copy is analog. Not what OP is looking for (but a great delay nonetheless!)