1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thickness of Bartolini P25CBC

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CholisGuitars, Jan 2, 2014.

1. CholisGuitars

CholisGuitars

Hello,

I can't seem to find specs showing the thickness of Bartolini's P25CBC. Does anybody have this info?

Side question, what are some of your favorite "modern" sounding pickups for a 5 string? I'm designing my next bass, and am admittedly not that familiar with what's really good. I'm looking at the Bartolini's since it seems like those are high end pickups from what I've read.

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Hi Bobby,

My P25CBC pickup measures just shy of 3/4 inches thick, which accounts for the plastic shell plus a slight bulge of epoxy on the bottom. If you include the solder lugs and the attached wires, the total thickness is about 7/8 inches. This seems to be pretty typical for Bartolini soapbar pickups in a variety of shapes.

There are a lot of great pickups available, including the Bartolini "classic bass" model you mentioned, which is a great starting point. Delano's "SBC Driver" soapbar series sounds much the same, but has slightly enhanced response in the upper midrange and treble. SGD builds great pickups with a variety of armatures and even, balanced tonal response. Villex makes great pickups as well, which can be ordered in most soapbar shapes (including P2) and have a rock-solid lock on the fundamentals. Carvin offers several lower-priced models which sound quite good as well. Nordstrand takes a different approach but has some very nice sounding models, such as the Dual Coil and Big Split.

3. CholisGuitars

CholisGuitars

Tubby,
    Thanks so much for the info! I was surprised that the full dimensions weren't on their website. I wonder if they'd send me some free pickups if offered to redesign their website for free :)

I'll check out the other manufacturers you recommended. Thanks again!