Thickness of neck tenon?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by reverendrally, Dec 28, 2012.

1. reverendrally

reverendrally

Having decided to make a setneck for this semi-baritone guitar, I'm trying to figure out how wide the tenon should be. I've had my head in Melvyn Hiscock's book and his guitar has a tenon that is 40mm wide and 70mm long on a les paul jnr style guitar. Here's the thing, here's the shape of mine...

[​IMG]

You can make out the end of the neck on the righthand template. The tenon I've drawn up is 110mm long and 40mm wide. Thing is, with 40mm width it's only got 7.5mm of wall thickness on the cutaway side. And the whole body is only 27.5mm thick and I'm expecting a tenon depth of around 24mm. So I'm think I should narrow the tenon to say 34-36mm. I figure the extra length will make up for a slightly narrower tenon. What do you all think?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

That's a very thin body, one that calls for some serious consideration. Do you have a drawing of what the joint would look like from the side view, sectioned through?

3. suraj

suraj

I feel that once the joint is glued, everything will reinforce each other. A wild guess would be that everything will be fine. But that is a ridiculously thin body. If you do plan to sculpt the neck to body transitions, do so with caution and remove little material.