1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thin low E,F,F# on precision lyte

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by doo-bop, Sep 23, 2013.

1. doo-bop

doo-bop

Hello,
    I have a 1985 Fender Precision Lyte, with EMG PJ and BQC system. I bought the bass and did this upgrade after hearing thaddeus tribbett live with jill scott playing on the same setup.
    The bass sounds and feels amazing.

lately I have noticed that the lowest E,F and F# sounds thin compared to the overall sound of the bass.
    when I go up from G on the E string, or on the other strings it sounds just amazing.
    I have tried DR sunbeams and ernie ball strings.. same problem.
    Any idea what could be the problem?

Many Thanks!!
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Raise your pick ups. EMGs are designed to sound best when they are pretty close to the string.
  3. doo-bop

doo-bop

The rest of the E string sounds good and in balance with the other strings...so I'm not sure if that's the problem, but I'll try.
    Thsnks!
  4. eukatheude

eukatheude

Not IME. How close, approximately?
  5. doo-bop

doo-bop

The E string is about 5mm from the P pickup and 2mm from the J pickup.
    The other strings are little closer.
  6. doo-bop

doo-bop

7. Lownote38

Lownote38

According to EMG, close enough that the strings don't hit them, but higher than non-active pick ups.
  8. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

Assuming your playing this through a cab, it sounds like the cab is tuned above 50hz. While I have no idea if this is it, I can tell you I don't play through a cab. I use a di, and in my practice space I only use 12" tops. Anything below the G is noticeably quieter. Funny thing, I just got a Jazz 5 string and it's the same way, however it doesn't tale off on low B From B to G it's just noticeably quieter.
  9. doo-bop

doo-bop

I use 15" polyton combo amp.