1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thin neck and string tension

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by gprigge, Aug 27, 2013.

1. gprigge

gprigge

I have a 60s carved Framus. When I bought it I was advised to use lower tension strings because it has a thin neck. The neck feels similar to a Kay.

I'd like to try Spiro Mittels but now fear the neck might be too thin to handle the tension. Neck is walnut. not sure about the fingerboard. Currently driving Evah weichs.

Is a thin neck really an issue for higher tension strings?

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Put a straight edge along the neck/fingerboard joint and check for curvature. If its already bowed forward, you'll have answered your own question.

I tend to remove the fingerboard, straighten the neck and install a carbon fibre stiffening rod in the neck on basses with thin necks. It makes the neck very stiff, so you can can use any strings you like. It also means that you can plane the board more to extend its life, because you're not relying on it to keep the neck straight.

3. gprigge

gprigge

Thanks. I threw a carpenter's square straight edge on it and it's straight. Spiro Mittel E and A with Evah weich G and D seem to be a nice combo on this one.

4. vejesse

vejesse

Disclosures:
    Double Bass Workshop
    Wow, Rice Lake. My Dad is from Barron.

5. Register to disable this ad