1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thin necked basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NFGgtsthgrl, Nov 18, 2013.

1. NFGgtsthgrl

NFGgtsthgrl

I'm looking for some recommendations for some thinner necked basses to check out, since I have small hands and short fingers. My price range is 300-400$. Before anyone suggests a short scale, I already have one. I've been playing for four months and feel that I should start looking at some full scales now since I'd like to get one in a few more months. I don't want to get too used to playing on a short scale to the point where playing a full scale is just frustrating.
    I have my eye on a Ibanez SR300/300M but want to try as many brands and models as I can, which is another reason I want to steer away from short scales; more options.
    Thanks guys
  2. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

I've got 3 vintage modified squiers (a jaguar, a PJ and a mustang) and they have thin necks- the short scale Mustang is probably the chunkiest. They're in your price range and are very well made.

There could be variety over the range, but I'd suggest trying them out.
  3. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work Supporting Member

My early 90's Ibanez SR400 has the thinnest neck I've ever played. You can get one for about $150.
  4. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Thunderbirds have thin necks if you get a set neck version. The bolt on necks are huge. You should be able to pick up a used Epiphone Thunderbird within your price range. It's going to be different from what you have now, most likely, so trying one first is even more important with one of them than it is with other instruments.
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Thin nut, thin front to back, or both?
  6. MICKUSS

MICKUSS

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
  7. preside

preside

NFG , when you go to the larger bass take a couple of lessons to make sure you are "playing" correctly. All that stuff like angle of neck, strap height and other ergonomic considerations will be important to make sure you don't mess up your hands.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Not that specific model, but late 80s and early 90s Ibanez basses were the first thought in my mind. Those suckers were TINY.
  9. WJGreer

WJGreer

I agree, the Ibanez SR series is a great line of affordable, effective basses that happen to have thin necks.

MusicMan basses do, too. They are a little more expensive on average, but if you love the Stingray tone there's nothing else quite like it.

The neck is my least favorite part of a MusicMan bass; they all feel like baseball bats to me. But to each his own.
  10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Ibanez SR series are the thinnest I know of.
    ESP LTD are supposedly almost as thin but I don't have personal experience with those.
  11. brendanbassist

brendanbassist Supporting Member

This is an important question. Narrow nut, I'd agree with the Ibanez SR recommendations; thin front to back, I'd say check out Fernandes.
  12. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Ibanez SR basses have very thin necks, for sure. But the thinnest neck I've ever felt on a bass was the Peavey Palaedium.

[​IMG]
  13. WJGreer

WJGreer

Agree, and if thin front to back is the criterion, I don't recommend MusicMan any more.
  14. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

Some suggestions from the past:
    1 :bassist:
    2 :bassist:
    3 :bassist:
  15. Mojo8ass

Mojo8ass Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1384822514.015745.jpg
    Vox Astro. By far the thinnest neck I've ever played!
  16. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he looks Supporting Member

:bag: A banjo with DR Lowriders? :bag:
  17. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Disclosures:
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    +1 - my wife has small hands, has been playing since she was 14, and started out on exactly this model.
  18. sm49341

sm49341

Another vote for Ibanez for thin necks. I have an SR300FM. Switched to this from a 70's Gibson when I I fell in love with the Ibanez neck. I can get a lot of different tones out it too. You can find these used for $200 and under. A good bass for this kind of money. A great bass for beginner to intermediate.
    I have years of experience, play 24 to 30 gigs a year and I still use it. Prolly not the last bass I'll own, but as frugal as I am, its working quite well.
  19. blue4

blue4

I have a SR300 and a SR405QM. Really nice, thin necks.
  20. Teacher

Teacher

Gibson SG necks are also very thin. Not sure about Epiphone versions.