1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Things about old basses that you love (other than sound)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dbt25677, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Dbt25677

Dbt25677

For me, personally, it's probably how tort pickguards mellow out and fade a tiny bit.
    Pic: [​IMG] (this image is actually of someone's bass here on the classifieds)
  2. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

I love the way the nitro finish on old Fender necks/headstocks yellows...especially when it's on a sunburst w/ tort guard instrument.

Other than that, the thing about old basses that I love is that you can drop them or bang them into stuff and not care. :)
  3. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

One of my favorite things is the sense of history. ANY instrument 30-40 years has had some serious experience in life. They just feel more "qualified" to me(best wording I could think of).

Another thing I like is close string spacing. Not so much vintage Fenders, but quite a few Japanese basses have a close spacing that I like. Also currently drooling over a 60`s Framus hollowbody in a local shop....

-Jake
  4. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

If it’s kinda rare, or interesting as a conversation piece, I’d like that.

Otherwise I prefer newer.
  5. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

I like not having to worry about the bass being kept in pristine shape. A new bass hinders my technique.

I like the necks better on older instruments, mainly because they've had time enough to bow and warp. New necks can be unpredictable.

I tend to like older active electronics. Brand new stuff is too obvious when switching settings.
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Smell.

Not necessarily nice, but older basses have that stank.
  7. wmheilma

wmheilma

How about the pictures of you playing it when it was shiney and new? Standing proudly on stage with WHAT A HAIRDO!!! Well, maybe that's just me...

Seriously something does happen after a bass gets played for thousands of hours. It seems like the wood is more resonant over time.
  8. msact

msact Supporting Member

I like how an aged finish looks. I have a Washburn I bought new over 30 years ago that started off a nice cream color and has yellowed very nicely over time. Also, I have a couple of natural finish G&L's from 1981 that have a wonderful aged look. My new natural finish basses look pretty sterile in comparison.
  9. msact

msact Supporting Member

My 1981 L1000. What's not to like. Beautiful natural finish. Wonderful ebony fretboard. And it sounds like a dream. Pictures really don't do this bass justice.

[​IMG]
  10. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Supporting Member

Or TOTALLY care...and do everything to avoid it...;)

for me it is the connection to history as as well as the worn in sound. The wood has settled, stretched, warped a bit, re-shaped. I also like the sound of the original pick ups and electronics.

Specifically, I love the feel of the maple neck/fingerboard on my 72. Any time I play a vintage all maple neck, I feel at home, regardless of the body style.
  11. RED J

RED J Half Hip, Half Hick Supporting Member

Broken in feel, aged amber maple.
  12. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

the wood does in fact become more resonant due to the sap in the wood crystallizing over time. that's why these older instruments sound so damn tasty.

that being said.... I love that broken in feel of a good aged instrument. I've got quite a few older guitars and they feel so much better to play than any new guitar I pick up. I guess that's why I prefer buying used guitars.
  13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Doesn't make up for their freakin' shrinkage. :mad:
  14. villhelmromero

villhelmromero

sounds like a personal problem! :bag:
  15. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

#1) Love how a rosewood board darkens due to grime. And while I'm there I love how a maple board discolors sometimes near the fret wire.

#2) A 'yellowed' headstock-too cool

#3) "Checking" of paint on said body/headstock.
  16. rootsnfifths

rootsnfifths Supporting Member

Only in cold climates:bag::bag:
  17. Humbled

Humbled

For old Fenders...

Tort that has shrunk...

Neck-backs worn to wood, G-string side worn to scallops...

Nicotine-stained machines...

In other words, honestly broken-in.

That said, there are better basses being made by quality modern manufacturers these days IMHO.
  18. Bhazulle

Bhazulle Supporting Member

I love the hum. Sorry. I just do.
    And of course, the smell, patina, cracked finish cracked pickguards and all.
    [​IMG]
  19. cavscout19d

cavscout19d Supporting Member

Tarnished tuners....
  20. Davo-London

Davo-London

Feel and mojo and looks

Davo